Jun 02, 2007, 07:46 AM
Certified Riteaholic
Ouch, man I'm really sorry to hear that story Charger.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2007, 07:48 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Thread OP
CK's the man! 40.5 oz is impressive!
Jun 02, 2007, 10:07 AM
I B Chargin'
Yeah, even though it was a very light TL, CK built it rock solid. I was feeling kind of invincible with it. I had a friend out from Georgia a couple of months ago and put him on the buddy box with it and had some problems. The TL went in pretty hard a couple of times and that's when the servo probably loosened. Then I let another friend fly it, and the loose servo probably made him crash a couple of times

I looked at the plane for a day. The rip went from the motor cut out corner, through a totally displaced servo ( which had been buried ). The battery bay looked like a hurricane went through it and the nose was just a mess.

I got a hold of CK and ordered a couple more TL 50's and hated to throw out this one because the elevons were still nicely attached to the wings. I started pealing and cutting the glass back off the whole midsection and decided to go for a major overhaul repair. I cut a piece of plywood (weighed one ounce) that exactly fit the battery bay floor and used about a foot long stick of hot glue in the whole floor and the back of the ply. I put a big board in my lap to keep things flat, put the TL on top of that and held the ply down with hard finger pressure on a couple of batts. Then started piecing things back together. Wound up using 3 long sticks of hot glue, goop, spackle, strapping tape and coroplast, re-glassed the whole middle, and recovered with Monokote.

It gained 5 1/2 oz but pretty much looks like it did before the crash AUW 46 oz. I am shocked at how good it flies. I didn't even check CG and tossed her up and it flies great even with the extra nose weight!! It's a little more sluggish.......but will get me through till my order comes in.

A totally Bunged up Ritewing has more potential than most other brand kits brand new!! Don't worry CK, my order still stands........The check is in the mail .........Must have more TL 50's
Last edited by Charger; Jun 02, 2007 at 10:29 AM.
Jun 02, 2007, 08:43 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Thread OP
Good to hear Charger.

Please post any tips and tricks along the way to keep this thread alive. Of course finished pics are required
Jun 02, 2007, 11:11 PM
I B Chargin'

Ok

These are the things that work for me. Seems like the inside corners of the motor mount cut out are a weak area. If the plane noses in, the heavy motor has inertia and can rip these inside corners. Something has to give!! If it's not too bad, I like to bury the nose of a hot glue gun in, several places along the rip. The hot tip heats it's way in. Fill up the crack and the hole you just made and lick you finger and shape the surface smooth. When I repaired this one, I made extra 2" square "Henry's" grommets wrapping over the edge of these inside corners, when I re-glassed, one from the top, and one from the bottom on each side. I really liked the plywood for the bay repair, cuz it's flat ( nothing had any shape after the crash ) and hot glue sticks to it and the foam and it sets up pretty fast. I also like having a big flat board in my lap to keep pressing the plane down onto as the hot glue was setting up to keep the plane flat as I rebuilt the bits and pieces.

I've got about 10 flights since the repairs (4 today) with 4s set up and the plane hasn't got any bad tendencies. One test was figure 8's with inside loops and outside loops...........pretty clean
Jun 03, 2007, 12:16 AM
Luke 12:7
I experienced the same tears in the motor mount area. When I repaired mine I picked up a few 20 cc syringes and EFD metal tips to get it way into the crack. I then injected Gorilla glue into the cracks along with a little water and tried to work the torn section. Then I used the larger T-pins from both sides to help keep it together while it was glueing. I also added a few small pieces of Henry's to span the repaired area.

I used a few carbon fiber strips top and bottom to span a few wrinkled areas and give the wing a bit more stiffness in those areas. When completed I added a new layer of Henry's top and bottom from the CG forward. I was able to take some weight out.
Jun 05, 2007, 11:46 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Thread OP
So I am in the process of building my 40" Demon lite!

The gear will consist of:

Mega 16-7-7
CC25
5.5x4.5 apc
Berg 4l
3s2p4200 Prolites

My goal! No lead needed!!!

My life has been really hectic and stressfull lately, there is a lot going on. As soon as I can catch up with my sanity and when I get the pics back I will finish the dang build report.

You guys to post your tips and tricks to keep this thread alive! Heck go ahead and spam it, I don't care.
Jun 06, 2007, 12:09 AM
Mum is the word!
Adam what is the kv on that motor,I dont remember?
ck
Jun 06, 2007, 12:18 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Thread OP
about 2500, I flew this motor on my obese 36" and it moved it quite well. Prolly 70 mph or so at 25amps static. Came down barely warm so it may handle a 6x4
Jun 06, 2007, 12:24 AM
Mum is the word!
Ya a 6/4 or a 5.5/4.5 will be great keep it lite like you said.

ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025
about 2500, I flew this motor on my obese 36" and it moved it quite well. Prolly 70 mph or so at 25amps static. Came down barely warm so it may handle a 6x4
Jun 07, 2007, 01:24 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Thread OP
Allright! I got the pics from the Sis in law just now.

So here is the finished pics of the plane in the build report.
Jun 07, 2007, 01:51 PM
Luke 12:7
I like it! Looks awesome! Good job!
Jun 07, 2007, 02:45 PM
resU deretsigeR
Cool love the GFX even my old eyes could see that one a ways out...

Nice back drop too..
Jun 08, 2007, 09:35 PM
FPV for Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025
Allright! I got the pics from the Sis in law just now.

So here is the finished pics of the plane in the build report.
Man that is sweet looking...
Love the Neon Yellow/green how ever you look at it...

Looks like it will be very visible way out...untill you get to the magic point where it turns
into a 1" black line...LOL and makes it tuff on the older guys to see.
That plane turned out super nice...
Jun 08, 2007, 09:42 PM
Purples a fruit
it is even better in person.

i always get to launch his planes for him. as always his builds are kick arse.

he is just sooo picky. looks like a big pay off.

Quick Reply