to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2007, 03:46 PM
resU deretsigeR
looking good, I got the 48 inch flootie and the V2 Spanker from CK this week and my 48 FS in coming out next week that will take my RW kits up to 7 Ugh.. I have most the house construction done and my sone is getting his stuff out of the garage so i will have a busy build moth or two.

I need to an minumium get servos for all of the planes.. (Ouch)

Adam looking real good..
Last edited by PaulVi; Sep 16, 2007 at 03:52 PM.
Sep 16, 2007, 04:08 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Thread OP
A friend owed me from a while back and is sponsored by airtronics so he is giving me 4 of those micro digital servos, should fit the FS48 nicely, the specs look great but I would never foot the bill for myself.

They weigh .80 oz and have 55/60 oz of tourque, gears a metal and plastic.

I am planning to run a lite setup using a 3T arc and 3s packs, not sure but prolly 2100's. Well see.
Sep 19, 2007, 04:11 PM
Hi:
I am having trouble locating the Henrys 183 here in west Michigan. I ran across another material that I think might work. It is called Pol-E-Force #160. 4" x 100' roll. It is white in color and doesn't appear to be impregnated with anything.
Here is the description: Pol-E-Force spunlaced fabric is a textile material composed of staple fibers hydraulically entangled to form a strong reinforcing membrane for cold roofing mastics. Composed of 100% polyester. It has excellent conformability and elongation. The open aperture design allows mastics to flow through and form a saturated roofing membrane. Pol-E-Force is light fweight with high tensile strength and toughness. It is nonraveling, has excellent tear strength and is resistant to chemicals and solvents.
Has anyone used this stuff? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Wayne
Sep 19, 2007, 04:32 PM
Mum is the word!
Wayne try the links on the first few pages of this build thread , the random spun poly fiber doesnt work as well.Even drywall fiberglass joint tape works good too.
ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab8ug
Hi:
I am having trouble locating the Henrys 183 here in west Michigan. I ran across another material that I think might work. It is called Pol-E-Force #160. 4" x 100' roll. It is white in color and doesn't appear to be impregnated with anything.
Here is the description: Pol-E-Force spunlaced fabric is a textile material composed of staple fibers hydraulically entangled to form a strong reinforcing membrane for cold roofing mastics. Composed of 100% polyester. It has excellent conformability and elongation. The open aperture design allows mastics to flow through and form a saturated roofing membrane. Pol-E-Force is light fweight with high tensile strength and toughness. It is nonraveling, has excellent tear strength and is resistant to chemicals and solvents.
Has anyone used this stuff? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Wayne
Last edited by klique; Sep 19, 2007 at 04:37 PM.
Sep 19, 2007, 08:52 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Thread OP

FS48 progress

So I have the servos installed, I could of made it simple and exposed the rods but, simple is no fun

Using airtronics 94761Z mini digitals, free from a friend who owed me

I would of liked to keep the gear ahead of the cg but due to my battery choice the bay takes up the whole fuse, so whacha gonna do.

Nothing new really same process as all the other wings.

Now I have to decide on electronics layout, I wanna keep the esc far from the reciever.
Sep 20, 2007, 07:51 PM
Lookin' good Adam! You are ahead of me.

I'm now covering the little FS. I test fitted the gear a couple days ago and I'll need ~2oz of weight to balance, total about 17.5oz. covering now.

just not much forward distance ahead of the CG on these cool FSs.

tim
Sep 20, 2007, 09:20 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Thread OP

Fs48

I have the electronics layed out,

Not super happy with the layout but I learned alot for the next one.

The ESC bay has a channel cut all the way to the motor. This will be capped with coro. The idea is to have a airscoop ahead of the esc and the exhaust comes out at the motor.

The reciever is buried in the wing, I have no access to it. I thought about a door but decided against it. Dunno why, mainly a sleeker look. Hopefully I'll be flying this till it dies anyways.

So I have some ideas for a better layout that I will share. maybe you guys can throw some other ideas into the pot?
Sep 21, 2007, 09:15 PM
Here is my little FS install. I took a similar approach as adam but have three bays; batts, rec/servo/esc, motor exit. pretty tight quarters.
Sep 21, 2007, 09:55 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Thread OP
Wow, thats packed!

We got spoiled with the standard wings, these FS are a whole new ballgame, layouts are definitely a bit challanging.
Sep 21, 2007, 10:49 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Thread OP
That hood scoop is a beauty!

The FSmini is awesome looking as well.
Sep 22, 2007, 12:05 AM
very cool Chris! nice job on the scoop!

I agree Adam that we've been spoiled on the bigger birds!
Sep 22, 2007, 12:45 AM
resU deretsigeR
Hey CK thanks the kits came in today...

I will document the Mini FS build and run it past you..

Like i said it flys nice at about 100 to 200 watts and anywhere from 8 to 18 oz's the heavier it gets just means the fater you have to keep it going..

Im working toward your lite build but im still trying to figure out how you pulled 9 oz with batts.. Im at 5.5 oz with just my 3s 1500 but im at 230 watts
Sep 22, 2007, 08:27 AM
I may have fallen into the "over engineered" trap as I did add about 22gr (28.2 gr/oz) of carbon to my little FS because it just felt flimsy almost all behind the CG; should have relied more on the henry's. It is a single layer henry's, 3S 1500, razor400 and expect about 17.5oz auw which includes about 2oz of balast weight in the nose. I think I'll go back to the narrow elevons per CK pic.

I do keep pretty good records so I know I ended up about 1.2oz per sq ft on the henry's on the FS. my 60 was 0.8oz/sq ft but there is a lot more area to distribute over.

I did use the ply sandwich method for the motor mount. full size on top, 1/64 ply with just a little goop. reduced area on the bottom by about half. then rt angle aluminum bracket at 3.5gr, 0.025" thick; the screws weigh more since they are 440.

yeah, 9oz is certainly an achievement worth noting at least from my heavy handed seat. I think we need DVD#2 for an advanced CK class on light building methods! at least I do. Thanks Chris for leading the way and showing us what can be done!

Quick Reply