May 11, 2007, 10:54 PM
Been There! Done That!
Discussion

Protecting Packs with Deans Micro Connectors

One of the drawbacks with my use of Dean Micro connectors is protecting the pin end from shorting against another battery pack. So I came up with a cheap easy solution using Twist on Wire Nuts. I paid $10 for 100 at Ace Hardware. They lock on to the Deans with a simple 1/2 turn and will not come off without unscrewing. Here is where you can get them.
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(jb...aspx?SKU=34925 for 6 or
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(jb...aspx?SKU=30960 for 100
Simple cheap solution!
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; May 11, 2007 at 11:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2007, 11:34 PM
War Eagle!
Good idea!
May 12, 2007, 12:32 AM
Will work for heli's
Excellent Idea! Think I'll have to take another look at the Dean's Micros again

thanks
May 12, 2007, 12:49 AM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Looking at the photo it appears the pin is on the positive wire. I would put it on the black ground wire then it can't short to another battery.
May 12, 2007, 09:03 AM
There is no "ground lead" on a battery, only + & -. If all the batteries in a container have the same bare lead (+?) nothing can short out.Even if a + touched a - , all you would have is 2 batteries connected in series (double voltage), but no current draw due to other leads being open.

George
Last edited by George1234; May 12, 2007 at 09:08 AM.
May 12, 2007, 09:23 AM
Been There! Done That!
Sorry guys but that's not the problem! If a 3S and a 2S come in contact the 2S will be overcharged. Also the pin under the right conditions can short across the 2 terminals on another battery causing a direct short. I have made this happen on the bench.
boomer
May 12, 2007, 10:32 AM
Crash Master
Elegantly simple, Boomer!

I saw a few guys had found some soft tubing that was the right ID to snap on these. Not sure where they found it?

Boomer has the polarity correct. Back in the beginning of time, just after the earth cooled... Deans did not specify on the package how they should be wired... We had a discussion here about the pro's and con's of either way. My logic, at the time, and still today, is the important thing is not the battery packs, it the charger. If you charge from your car battery, as most do at the field, you do not want the + pin of the charger lead exposed, so it could possibly short to the car frame (-), thus blowing a fuse or the charger. This means the + is the male pin on the battery, and the - pin on the charger... Now Deans labels the packages this way.
May 12, 2007, 10:34 AM
Space Coast USA
Another problem is the exposed pin contacting an exposed contact surface on its balancing plug. Could short 1 or all cells depending on which contact it touched. Happened to me when I stuffed the mini Deans back into the fuselage so I could close the battery hatch cover...... the bare pin contacted one of the exposed metal pins on the top of the balance plug. ooops
May 12, 2007, 01:20 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Elegantly simple, Boomer!

I saw a few guys had found some soft tubing that was the right ID to snap on these. Not sure where they found it?

Boomer has the polarity correct. Back in the beginning of time, just after the earth cooled... Deans did not specify on the package how they should be wired... We had a discussion here about the pro's and con's of either way. My logic, at the time, and still today, is the important thing is not the battery packs, it the charger. If you charge from your car battery, as most do at the field, you do not want the + pin of the charger lead exposed, so it could possibly short to the car frame (-), thus blowing a fuse or the charger. This means the + is the male pin on the battery, and the - pin on the charger... Now Deans labels the packages this way.
Thanks Gene,
I was using tubing but found if it was tight enough to not slide off if pack was transported it was hard to get on and off the connector. Also the wire nuts are large enough and red so I don't tend to misplace them as I did with the clear tubing pieces. Problem solved.
boomer
May 12, 2007, 08:05 PM
"woof"
Great Idea!
Battery Condoms!

Hmm...or we could go with the Dog theme and call them Battery muzzles!

Looks like we just added a New Product!

2dogrc
May 12, 2007, 08:27 PM
Newbie WW1 Flying Ace
I find 1/4" thread protectors to be exactly the right size. They fit snugly enough to not come off by themselves yet are easy to remove when you need to. I bought a bunch from http://www.widgetco.com/screw-thread...s-14-1-2-white (50 white for charged packs, 50 black for uncharged packs) for $10 shipped.
May 12, 2007, 08:41 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tww1fa
I find 1/4" thread protectors to be exactly the right size. They fit snugly enough to not come off by themselves yet are easy to remove when you need to. I bought a bunch from http://www.widgetco.com/screw-thread...s-14-1-2-white (50 white for charged packs, 50 black for uncharged packs) for $10 shipped.
Looks like about what I was using before but they were clear. Found they didn't stay on like the twist ons which is why I changed. The beauty of the twist ons is when installed they would pull off the connector before they will let go but a simple easy turn and they release!
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; May 12, 2007 at 08:49 PM.
May 12, 2007, 08:57 PM
And You're Not
Vacuum line caps for vacuum lines on cars work good, too. They are cheap, soft rubber, and fit the Deans Micro just right.
May 13, 2007, 12:01 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Won't these damage the plastic on the connector? Everytime one is screwed on/off some damage has to occur?
I use clear PVC tubing from the hardware store. This is very inexpensive and fit perfectly.

Rick
www.commonsenserc.com
May 13, 2007, 03:21 AM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman
Won't these damage the plastic on the connector? Everytime one is screwed on/off some damage has to occur?
I use clear PVC tubing from the hardware store. This is very inexpensive and fit perfectly.

Rick
www.commonsenserc.com
Nope! Not a mark! The part that holds with the threads is plastic! It never gets to the metal part.
boomer