Jul 17, 2007, 05:58 AM
Micro Jet Pilot
I would go with balsa for the fan and use some glass if necessary. Don't know, if you get sufficient rpm from a pager though...

Chris
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2007, 03:45 AM

??????

well isnt the kpoo and n20 motors that everybody else is using a pager or something like that?
Jul 18, 2007, 03:48 AM

by the way

wat is glass(besides the stuff in windows-_-) and where can i get it?
Jul 18, 2007, 08:36 PM
Keepthrowing-JohnyThrower
Glass is fiber glass...you can buy it in modelshops, or specialized stores...
Oct 31, 2017, 07:35 PM
Deployed in hot and dry area
Ok so I have seen some amazing micro work here and now I'm going to pose a question. does anyone have a best plan for a EDF which could fit inside a BT-20 rocket body. it's approx. 18mm dia.

Reason making a P-8 Poseidon build which at 1/18th scale (windrider airliner 737 airframe) the outer wing weapon pylons would fit x2 AGM 84H/K harpoons.
I already have a lock and launching mech. for the expanding wings just need something to produce enough thrust to coast to the ground without being a dirt dart.
Aug 22, 2019, 08:18 PM
I understand that this is a seriously old thread, but now that 3d printing is more common has any advancements on micro edf's been made?
Aug 23, 2019, 07:50 PM
Been some time but people have occasionally posted sub 30mm EDF printed designs in the Micro EDF forum. With the Horizon UMX fan unit available, and the Great Planes 30mm unit that had been available for some time, there hasn't seemed to be many people still building micro EDF, like there was before the fans were on the market. Seems the efficiency drops steeply at much under 30mm, which is probably why the UMX fan is likely the smallest on the market. I imagine there just hasn't been much interest in developing micro fans. FWIW though from the experiences of having likely built and flown more scale micro EDF than anyone on this board, the QX 32mm 7000kv fan is the best I've come across in it's size class. Not really a true 32mm as speced, and for good reason as it's entirely different from the UMX and GP fans. It's comparable in performance to the old GWS EDF40 with a 5800kv bl inrunner, and at a smaller size. Having built and flown a 34" twin and 46" 4 engine bomber with the QX fans, they've all run smooth straight out of the box, unlike the assembly and tweaking often necessary with other micro EDF units.
Aug 24, 2019, 01:07 PM

32, 24 and 18 mm Ducted fan at Sams models

It's been a while that they sell these three models:

http://www.samsmodels.com/products/e...ght-ducted-fan

" 32mm internal diameter (33.5mm o/d) with a 3 cell 400mah lipo will produce up to 130gms of thrust weight with motor is 26.5 gms

24mm internal diameter (26mm o/d) weighing just 8.8 gms capable of powering a model up to 18" wingspan when powered with a 2s Lipo battery

18mm internal diameter (20mm o/d) weighing just 5.5gms this unit designed to replace jetex 50 as it sits in the same slot as the old rocket motor using a 2s lipo battery"

3cells is possible.
Aug 25, 2019, 02:22 PM
Searched google found this
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/team30

https://forum.formlabs.com/t/30mm-ro...65500-rpm/2777
Aug 25, 2019, 05:02 PM
Frankly I wouldn't waste either My time or $ on those.
Simply..
Buy the KX ~30mm 7000kv edf unit which is 22.2 gms , with connectors soldered on .
Last one I bought was ~15$ (freeshipping) .
I've.. consistently and replicably :-) thrust stand tested my copies at ~180 grams and ~8 amps on a 3s battery.
Please post anything that even comes close to that.

Could ? build a rapier intended model at 200% it's designed for a rapier size?
Aug 25, 2019, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Frankly I wouldn't waste either My time or $ on those.
Simply..
Buy the KX ~30mm 7000kv edf unit which is 22.2 gms , with connectors soldered on .
Last one I bought was ~15$ (freeshipping) .
I've.. consistently and replicably :-) thrust stand tested my copies at ~180 grams and ~8 amps on a 3s battery.
Please post anything that even comes close to that.

Could ? build a rapier intended model at 200% it's designed for a rapier size?
Ditto, I won't promote anything that I can't stand behind from actual experience. Rarely see any builds of micro EDF in recent years, not surprisingly some of the few I've seen have shown the capability of the QX 7000kv unit. I've used various 12mm BL inrunners in 30-40mm fans more times than I can count, and can say hands down that the QX is a better fan. Those motors are difficult to come across in the proper kv ranges, and usually pricey. The 7000kv Feigao in an EDF30 isn't even close to the QX fan.
You can even post builds and specs proving the capability of the fan, and it's as if nothing happened.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht-video/page8
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...eo-added/page8

Few people used the GP fan when it was available although I did and had pleasing results, while the UMX fan is still available, although I've seen few builds even using that fan either. Doesn't seem like anyone's going to produce or take much interest in producing a sub 28mmm fan when people aren't building anything. Another thought on sub UMX sized EDFs, is that the level of success beyond simply profile ships is doubtful, if one doesn't first gain experience with slightly larger fans. Took me 10-12 years of experience to get the results I did with the AR234 and some of the other recent builds.
Aug 27, 2019, 10:25 AM
Would the QX fan work well for a BD-5J micro?
Last edited by howleyj; Aug 27, 2019 at 08:09 PM.
Aug 27, 2019, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howleyj
Would the QX fan work well for a BD-7J micro?
You have to get a feel for specs, created a target spec, and meet it. One of the reasons I've likely posted more 30-40mm EDF build threads than anyone else on RCG, is so that people can derive specs from them. Basically any one of my EDF40 jets would be a good baseline for what's possible with the 30mm 7000kv QX fan at roughly the same AUW having similar performance. Bede jet would almost certainly not be scale, but could be a decent rendition. Keep in mind the QX is really more in the 32mm range.
Aug 27, 2019, 08:10 PM
Do you know of any plans for a for a BD-5J?
Aug 27, 2019, 09:59 PM
This one :
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8232
Could / should give you a reasonable start point..
Assumption being you have some experience ?.

Quick Reply