May 11, 2007, 01:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

SIG SOMETHIN EXTRA ARF Wing tube and somethin amazing .

Howdy all. I HAD somthin amazing happen to me Tuesday . My weekends are Tuesday & Wed. . While flying Tuesday a club member who no longer flies because of health issues said to me I have 3 airplanes for you if you want them . I said yes of course what are they . A 4* .60 complete with an Irving .61, Sig Kadet with .46 ST and Sig Somthin Extra with a Magnum XLS .46 . All these planes were built from ARF's complete with radio gear . The 4* and s-Extra had not been flown all 3 in excellent shape and free . I flew the 4* .60 Wed. and it flies like a dream . Anyway enough about my good fortune . Larry could not find the aluminum tube that holds the 2 wing halves to the fuselage for the S-Extra . Can anyone tell me where I can get one ? I looked on Tower and I could find no parts listing for the Somthin Extra . Thanks for your help and thank you Larry for such a great gift .
Last edited by Hobie; May 11, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2007, 02:30 PM
try the sig website (sigmfg.com) They list a wing kit for $40 which includes the tubes. Probably take a personal note to them to find out if the tubes are available separately.

Otherwise, maybe a carbon-fiber tube of the right size?

howell
May 11, 2007, 04:48 PM
God is good
I've got one if you want to pay shipping. email me for more info.
May 11, 2007, 08:00 PM
Gotta make the doughnuts
Wow, that was nice of him. I hope you slipped him some cash!
May 11, 2007, 09:23 PM
Last edited by Rcflyer9; Sep 01, 2007 at 09:16 PM.
May 12, 2007, 01:15 PM
Thread OP
I am sending e-mail Viper Pilot . Thanks . Rhathid I asked him twice if he was sure he just wanted to give them to me . The first time I asked he said he would rather give them away because no one would give him what they are worth . When I asked him the 2nd time before I went to his house to get them he sounded a little iritated and said it is either that or he would dump them in the river . I just got a Super Skybolt so if he was selling them my wife would not have let me spend any more $$$ to buy them . I would like to do something nice for him some kind of show of gratitude . Larry isn't married or have any kids and I don't even know him well enough to know if he has any close friends or family . I just know he is a club member who no longer flys but likes to come to the field to watch others fly and to chat .
May 13, 2007, 02:45 AM
Equinsu Ocha
I would be sure and let him see them fly, and make it look good Also I would get a buddy box setup and make and offer to chance to fly his models to him.
May 13, 2007, 11:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin
I would be sure and let him see them fly, and make it look good Also I would get a buddy box setup and make and offer to chance to fly his models to him.
I already thought of that . Even though he had the 3 models all he ever soloed and not many times was the Kadet LT .40 . That is why the 4* and SSE has never been flown . I will ask him if he wants to buddy box or take over once I am up good and high with the Kadet . He has Parkinson's which makes his hands shake and he had to get off the meds for Parkinsonís because of bladder cancer . It makes it pretty difficult to fly RC when your hands are not steady but I will see if he wants to give it a try with the Kadet . He got to see me maiden the 4* .60 and I will call him when I have the other 2 ready to go . The Kadet with the ST engine would not start at the field when he was there but I have since in my back yard got it running good . The Sig Somethin Extra I am waiting for the wing joiner from Viper which he is sending to me Monday . I tried running in the new Magnum XL on the SSE yesterday and I had no luck at all getting it stay running . I don't know what is wrong with it yet I have never had a Magnum engine .
Last edited by Hobie; May 13, 2007 at 11:52 AM.
May 13, 2007, 01:12 PM
God is good
The tube is ready for mailing first thing tomorrow morning. You should have it by Tuesday or Wednesday.

When flying the SE, be aware that the wing is very thick and it slows down pretty fast.. When landing into a heavyish wind, be sure to keep some throttle (more than idle) while coming in, cut the throttle at the beginning of the flair, and all should be well.
May 13, 2007, 01:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot
The tube is ready for mailing first thing tomorrow morning. You should have it by Tuesday or Wednesday.

When flying the SE, be aware that the wing is very thick and it slows down pretty fast.. When landing into a heavyish wind, be sure to keep some throttle (more than idle) while coming in, cut the throttle at the beginning of the flair, and all should be well.
Thanks VP . It sounds like it lands like my Hanger 9 Twist . Last year when I landed the Twist into a pretty good wind I slowed down too much and did an
unplanned Harrier landing LOL . I wish I could do that on purpose it looked cool and didn't drop far enough to hurt it . Needless to say I now fly it all the way to the ground with much head wind to avoid dropping strait down to the runway . I will be careful on the maiden with low rates . I am thinking that it won't fly allot different than the twist other than maybe being a little faster . It may be awhile before the maiden it just depends on engine issues I am having and how soon the crystal I ordered from my LHS comes in . Larry gave me the TX too but it is not computer and I want to use my own TX so I can dial in expo and low and high rates .
Last edited by Hobie; May 13, 2007 at 02:02 PM.
May 15, 2007, 02:32 PM
God is good
Bruce,

Just a note here . . . the tube was dropped off at the post office at 8:20 am yesterday. They said it would be shipped out at 3:00 pm. You should get it by tomorrow!
May 15, 2007, 09:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot
Bruce,

Just a note here . . . the tube was dropped off at the post office at 8:20 am yesterday. They said it would be shipped out at 3:00 pm. You should get it by tomorrow!
Sweeeet!!! The weather here is not good but I will try messing with the Magnum engine tomorrow or switch it with the .46 AX . Are Magnum engines good ? I spent a couple hours the other day trying to get it to run with no luck it had never been run . My OS .46 AX has been crashed a few times and looks bad but I may have to clean it up and put it on the SE . The weather looks good for Thursday I would love to maiden the SE .
May 16, 2007, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
No wing joiner yet today . I just had my weekend and it was too wendy to fly . I am hoping to fly tomorrow before I go to work at 6PM . My crystals and receiver didn't come in yet so I ran the Magnum XL today and got it running better . What causes bubbles in the fuel line ? I got the Magnum running fairely well except for bubbles in the fuel line causing hesitations . It will be a few more days before I maiden the SE I need the wing joiner, crystal and figure out why I have air bubbles in the fuel line .
May 16, 2007, 08:54 PM
Gotta make the doughnuts
Where are the bubbles at in the line?

One time I had a bad main needle and air leaked in through it.

Also any holes or ribs in the fuel line anywhere, even to small to see, can cause it.

Ya might just want to replace all the line even inside the tank to the clunk.
May 17, 2007, 07:38 AM
God is good
The bubbles may be, as Rhathid said, caused by a small hole in your fuel line. I'd check them first. Also, if the fuel tank isn't surrounded by foam, it may be that the fuel is getting vibrated and causing bubbles in the tank.

Quick Reply