Why EPO for slope glider version? - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 13, 2007, 09:12 PM
I have sanded a couple of Stryker bodies made of this stuff to get rid of the injection nipples or whatever you call them. No problems at all sanding, I don't get what the problem is.
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2007, 09:34 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craymar
I would get one dent filled in and make 2 more. I felt like a bull calf in a china closet working on my transcargo twin.
Oh man, that had me in stitches. Thanks

Never had an Aeroace. What I had to do when sanding the jet was use 200+ grit sandpaper (which also worked for EPP). I don't remember anything being difficult about it.

Like I said, I'll have to wait until I can get my hands on a sample before I can decide if I'm going to raise the roof or give a thumbs up on this one. Some people say "There's no problem at all!" and others think the end times are nigh so the best thing I can think of is wait and see. What other option is there?

Justin
www.CommonSenseRC.com
May 13, 2007, 09:43 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
If you've ever had an Aero Ace, that's what EPO is. I agree with Blaze, sanding is not an option.
Yeh, that's the foam I thought it was...

It'd be great for a combat bird..
For making a nice looking warbird.. negative..

If GWS starts making all their kits out of this, I will take my $$ elsewhere...

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
May 13, 2007, 10:29 PM
Seeing the Farside.
I say keep it the same ol' GWS foam, don't change. Who cares if it doesn't take damage very well... we don't fly depron and balsa planes for their durability.

As for Multiplex, that's an apples to orange comparison. I like GWS because they are semi-scale at a cheap price... neither of which can apply to Multiplex, although I will eat my words if someone out there manages to find a real USAF Funjet prototype.

Honestly, I challenge someone to name more than a few scale plane (production) made of EPP or EPO. You can't do it. EPP/EPO wasn't made for scale looks and lightweight flying, it was made for people who land bellyland on gravel and/or crash a lot.

My vote is to stay with good ol' EPS for GWS semi-scale. Don't make a change that will force us to buy full EPS-300 kits instead of SG's. God knows how many of us use these brushed motors as skipping stones before powerplants.

-Chris
Oct 01, 2007, 02:50 PM
Der Flieger kommt schnell
I agree with Blaze.45,
Keep things as they are!
GWS has a supply problem as it is, why make it worse by having different foams for the same model?
Oct 01, 2007, 04:48 PM
I have ordered a GWS-40 EPO kit to fly without power on my local slope. When I get the kit I will do a foam component weight comparison with the GWS-40 EPS kit I have previously built. Until then I will reserve judgement on the EPO kits.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Oct 01, 2007 at 05:03 PM.
Oct 02, 2007, 03:24 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Dear Ken, glad to hear that you slope to try our EPO SG!

In Taiwan, we also have many nice places to fly slope too!

During winter from mid. Sept. till mid. of April would be the best season for slope.
Oct 02, 2007, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
Dear Ken, glad to hear that you slope to try our EPO SG!

In Taiwan, we also have many nice places to fly slope too!

During winter from mid. Sept. till mid. of April would be the best season for slope.
Mr Lin

Our slope here in Darwin is a marginal one but the Wet Season Monsoon winds are !0-15 knots and because they come straight off the sea they are very smooth. This smooth constant speed wind makes the slope flyable.

Ken
Oct 04, 2007, 02:30 PM
This thread is kind of funny.

I'm always trying to talk friends into getting some GWS warbirds, but they are all used to the Multiplex foam planes and don't want to mess with the EPS foam in the GWS kits. And here are all of these people that are saying just the opposite.

I have owned, built, painted or flown just about every Multiplex kit. We sand them down with 100 grit paper and paint them up. Sometimes with spray cans, sometimes with air brush. The finish is not as nice as the GWS kits, but the life span of the planes is much longer. Comparing the Minimag to the Estarter is both easy and tough. I like the performance of the Estarter a lot more, but the Minimag will take a beating and result in little or no damage.

Does it weigh more? Yes. Does it sand as well? No. Does it look as good up close? No. Does it look as good in the air? Yes. Does it take a beating? Yes.

With what I have seen here on the groups, the masses are more interested in a plane that will take a beating. I would be surprised if EPO did not outsell EPS versions within a year of full production.

I love the EPS versions for most of my flying, but might have to see about getting a P40 in EPO for combat! That would be very nice!! And we seem to fly a lot of formation/combat around here.

-Wayne
Oct 04, 2007, 03:20 PM
I'm the same way. It's funny to hear the opinions, some are so very pointed. I will fly about anything that can stay aloft. I love EPP type for some things, EPS for some, balsa and covering for others. The more offerings, the better. Each material has it's place and it's merits.
Oct 06, 2007, 04:07 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Just like the choice of cars!

You might like to have an MPV, sports car, racing,....truck, or pick up...what ever you like.
Oct 06, 2007, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
Just like the choice of cars!

You might like to have an MPV, sports car, racing,....truck, or pick up...what ever you like.
Or you might like to have them all.
Nov 02, 2007, 08:30 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
I have started to see EPO in other products. I have a glider called the Hawk that is made of it. However the retailers seem to be confused as they are listing it as EPP.

I am very open to new materials, but there are certain questions that come to mind. I see them raised here but not answered and I am too new with this plane to know. However, if GWS thinks this is the material of the future, I am VERY interested to learn more.

What kinds of glue work on EPO?
Foam Safe CA?
Regular CA?
Epoxy?
Gorilla Glue?
White and yellow glues?
Others?

Can we use fillers with EPO to get smoother finishes? What kind?

What kind of sanding considerations? Will it sand?

Any special considerations for paint? Water based? Solvent based?

Can I apply Monokote or similar coverings to it?

A common repair method with Elapor is to heat it with hot water to expand it after a hard bump. Will EPO work the same way?

Someone mentined the Stryker. Is ParkZone's Zfoam actually EPO?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just read through the thread. These things have been raised but I don't see clear answers.

Thanks for your patience and your help.
Nov 02, 2007, 09:32 AM
"I have started to see EPO in other products. I have a glider called the Hawk that is made of it. However the retailers seem to be confused as they are listing it as EPP." EPO is definitely not EPP. It looks similar to Elapor but it has a greasy feel to it.

What kinds of glue work on EPO?
"Regular CA?" Yes but needs kicker.
"Epoxy?" No
"Gorilla Glue?" Yes
"White and yellow glues?" No
"Others?" GWS Glue or Polyurethane glues

"Can we use fillers with EPO to get smoother finishes? What kind?" Fillers are not needed and possibly would not stick well.

"What kind of sanding considerations? Will it sand?" Yes it sands well, but the kits need very little sanding. The surface finish is almost as good as that on the latest GWS EPS kits.

"Any special considerations for paint? Water based?" Solvent based? You can use any type of paint that will stick. Both water and solvent based will work but some paints require a primer.

"Can I apply Monokote or similar coverings to it?" I have not tried to and see no reason to.

"A common repair method with Elapor is to heat it with hot water to expand it after a hard bump. Will EPO work the same way?" I have not needed to repair yet.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Nov 02, 2007 at 09:49 AM.
Nov 02, 2007, 09:48 AM
nsg
nsg
I used 3M77 + tape to cover Arcel (Robbe brand similar to ELAPOR) and EPP wings. Other people reported Monocote-type stuff to work on EPP as well.
I use CA to fix stiffeners and such - make a cut in the foam, push the stiffener in, drip CA, give it a few seconds to percolate down, apply kicker. CA stiffens the foam, so I try (sometimes with success) to use it sparingly.
Gorilla and other polyurethane glues work well when you don't have a tight fit
GWS glue works very well - provided you follow the application instructions. If you don't follow the application procedure, it won't work (unlike EPS).