May 11, 2007, 01:05 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Discussion

Why EPO for slope glider version?

Why EPO for slope glider version?
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2007, 03:35 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
So you can bend them that much and they'll return to their stock shape? Would be nice to have some of the durability of EPP. The only problem I've had repairing kits was crushed foam, I would rather they sprung back into shape. What more can you tell us about EPO? Is it heavier?

Justin
www.CommonSenseRC.com
May 11, 2007, 03:41 AM
Confused? Who, me?
The characteristics look good - it's about the trade-offs:

- cost (EPS is the standard)
- weight (not such a big deal in real slope gliders but for electric power low weight is good)
- finish (can it take detail in the forming like EPS? EPP doesn't give a good finish, elapor is good as in smooth but I'm not sure it takes detail well)
- readiness to take adhesive (EPP is rather picky about what glues it likes, elapor is worse)

Here's my suggestion - with upcoming earlybirds either include an epo component in the pack for some of your field consumers to examine OR run a few EPO components off and send them to some of your earlybirders for them to report back on this forum.

If I couldn't examine a part myself, I would, for example read with interest (and believe!) a read from the likes of known objective reporters such kensp, craxmanpat, jamesdr etc etc - long list - don't get offended if I didn't mention you!!

NO disrespect to your own integrity or that of your engineers Mr Lin, I'd just like to know what another field flyer like myself thinks of EPO.

Of course, you could always produce a complete SG in epo and send it to me to evaluate
May 11, 2007, 04:18 AM
Houng-wen Lin
GWS will run a few hundreds of SG version for slope flyers.

However, you can also expect for powered version after that.
May 11, 2007, 05:09 AM
Roger and Mr Lin.

I cannot help but wonder what would happen to thrust lines if this foam was used in powered models.

As a former slope soarer I can realy apreciate this EPO foam for slope soaring models. Its hard enough to find a decent slope without having to have a perfect landing strip on the top.

Ken
May 11, 2007, 05:15 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Hah, yes Roger, he can add me to that list as well. I have a whole setup here looking for a plane. If you get ancy for some third party testing, Mr. Lin, just send me the foam parts. I'll fashion the rest me self, I have enough spare parts laying around to outfit two. I'll give it a durability testing like you wouldn't believe... before I destroy it I'll give it a run through of different types of adhesives and paints. It would truely look motley (makes it easier to see, I suppose).

It would at least be an interesting run between FFF designs.

Justin
www.CommonSenseRC.com
May 11, 2007, 06:51 AM
Ay up it's warped
"elapor is worse" Roger, it glues with bog standard superglue/Cyno it does not even need the odourless expensive stuff. I have not tried any other glues with it though. Not needed to....yet

This foam could be a winner for slope soaring on rough ground and I would like to try it. As for electric the usual question of weight and surface finish quality.
The Multiplex FunJet in elapor is being flown indoors with a suitable light powertrain, and is a cracker outdoors, (it does have a large wingsurface though) if this EPO foam is similar it should not be a problem.

Mark
May 11, 2007, 12:38 PM
A-4 nut!!
Look at those pics close up - the finsh looks sub par.

Are the EB F-15's going to be made of this?
Last edited by skyhawk; May 11, 2007 at 12:54 PM.
May 11, 2007, 12:53 PM
A-4 nut!!
here's something to ponder.......................

What's the point of using this tougher foam if we have to glass it now to get a decent finish? The plane is now going to be heavier and it wouldn't really survive much better.

I think this is a bad move.
Last edited by skyhawk; May 11, 2007 at 05:34 PM.
May 11, 2007, 04:26 PM
Foam abuser!
Mr Lin,

Personally, I prefer my GWS kits made from EPP and not EPO. As others have said, the finish on EPP is much better and will take a variety of paint finishes well. I've never tried to paint EPO, but even on my Aero Aces, I don't like the look of the painted end result.

It may be OK to make the Slope Gliders this way, but I fear that those who do not follow this forum will wind up getting SG kits out of habit (and still intend to power them), but will be sorely dissappointed to see EPO instead of EPP.

I like the current foam just fine. The only other alternative may be the depron type foam that was used to mold the horizontal stabilizer on the GWS-38. But even that seems to be too "brittle" at times (I was not happy with some of the pieces of my E-Flite Cessna 182 which was made of the same foam).

These are just my humble opinions, your mileage may vary.

Pat
May 11, 2007, 04:35 PM
would be loads of fun for combat. powerd or not.
May 11, 2007, 07:07 PM
I was hoping for some foam that would not be so soft. The stuff my GWS Transcargo Twin is made of really dings easy. I glassed it and still ding it. Have not even maidened it yet. This stuff looks even softer.

Charles
Last edited by Craymar; May 12, 2007 at 01:55 AM.
May 12, 2007, 12:15 AM
Confused? Who, me?
These points may all be valid but it proves to me my earlier suggestion that GWS need a field user evaluation. I may well be mistaken but I'm not aware of any manufacturer who currently uses epo. Hell, I can't even get anyone to tell me what the "o" stands for and it didn't come up on an internet search last time I looked. There's eps (and the latest GWS models show how much that can vary), there's epp - bounces but lousy surface finish, there's elapor - don't know what that is but its characteristics are different from both eps and epp - and there's depron out there - strong and reasonably flexible but I've never seen it anything but sheet form.
May 12, 2007, 09:40 AM
We want... Information!
EPO = expanded polyolefin.

For slope gliders only please. It's far too heavy for powered models!

Depron is extruded polystyrene = XPS, not suitable for injection molding.
May 12, 2007, 02:45 PM

SG -vs- NPS -different foam?

So, we need to ensure that when we purchase a kit that we want to put our onw motor on, that we distinguish between Slope Glider and No-Power-System, as these will be made of different types of foam?

I thought that a SG kit was just the same kit w/o motor...