May 10, 2007, 08:33 PM
Soarrich
Thread OP
Build Log

Shully Delta

This is a delta we designed and built on the picnic table at the flying field. It took about an hour to design and make, the next night we put the radio and power system in it in about an hour.
Last edited by soarrich; May 10, 2007 at 08:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2007, 09:52 PM
My plans are in my blog
I have no real experience designing a delta, so I thought I'd ask - although it seems the elevon sizes seem small, do they work well?
May 11, 2007, 06:15 AM
Soarrich
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
although it seems the elevon sizes seem small, do they work well?
They seem to be the correct size. I cut away the tips to keep from getting any flutter at high speed, slow speed you never run out of control, works for me.

The speed range seems to be about 5 mph to 50 mph, very stable, yet very airbatic.
May 11, 2007, 06:46 AM
Winging it >
Nice job!! It is amazing how such a simple design, inexpensive material, and easy/quick technique can produce such a nice looking wing!

I bought some fan fold at my local Home Depot. It is so wavy, I get sea sick every time I look at it. Your foam looks pretty flat. Is it? If so where did you get it?

Details and stats about the wing and power train?

Is there any chance of a video of this delta?

Very nice build!
May 11, 2007, 03:59 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thank you.
May 11, 2007, 07:42 PM
Soarrich
Thread OP
Shully and I both bought 2100 mah battiers and 1050RPM/V Outrunner Motor & 30A ESC on fleabay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2877&rd=1&rd=1

I had to measure it to get the dimensions, they just happen using the blue foam. The only two dimensions that matter are the 45* and how tall you make the spar rib. The 45* shapes the plane and the spar rib height gives you the wing thickness. Put the spar rib at about 1/3 the cord. I'll have to check Shully's delta for the balance point, I know we went 1/3 span out then 1/3 that chord back for the starting point, but had to add some more lead to the nose to get it to balance. Shully's has about 2 1/2 oz lead in the nose. I think mine is going to be a tractor so it won;t need any lead to balance.

Shully's is a pusher so we built a motor pylon that I'll get a picture of.

I bought my blue fan fold at Homedepot about a year ago maybe with age it flattens out because mine is pretty flat.

I'll install the radio tomorrow and try to get useable video Monday.
Last edited by soarrich; May 11, 2007 at 07:51 PM.
May 11, 2007, 07:58 PM
My plans are in my blog
Please post any info on reflex, if any is used. thanks. Good plane you got here.
May 14, 2007, 11:38 PM
Soarrich
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
Please post any info on reflex, if any is used. thanks. Good plane you got here.
We put some reflex in it, but we've been taking it out each time we fly, almost none left.

I installed my motor and radio today, but didn't fly, the old Lipos I had wouldn't charge so I ordered new ones.
May 18, 2007, 05:43 PM
Soarrich
Thread OP
I test flew my Shully Delta yesterday, it flew great. I only had a 1200 mah 3 cell for it, but the battery sits right on the proper balance point so the size of the battery is not important. My delta is quieter than Shully's as expected, the plane flew with out any adjustments to the trim, I guess it pays to build it on a straight workbench rather than the picnic table at the field:^) Mine flies at 18.5 oz, Shully's is about 22 oz.

I'd say if you're a good flier go with the motor on the nose, it's lighter and more efficient and balances easily, on the other hand if you're a new flier like Shully go with the pusher, the motor is protected on less than perfect landings or in the event of the earth jumping up and grabbing the plane through no fault of your own.

BTW Shully gets about 16 minutes with a 2300 mah battery.
May 18, 2007, 06:07 PM
My plans are in my blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarrich
...in the event of the earth jumping up and grabbing the plane through no fault of your own. .
This is so cool!. Can I steal it?

Quick Reply