Profile BD-5J with AA Jet guts - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by dz1sfb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 09, 2007, 08:13 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Discussion

Profile BD-5J with AA Jet guts

Hi All,

This BD-5 thing has got me going. I am still developing the full bodied model into a balsa version and that is well underway. Today I hacked out a profile version of the aforementioned model, ran to Wal-mart, bought the AA jet, tested it to make sure it worked and then gutted it for electronics, battery and motors.

This is the result;
  • Increased wing chord 1/2" over scale
  • Elevator is 3/16" longer on TE than scale
  • Span is 12-1/2" with 5 degrees incidence and 7 degrees dihedral per wing
  • Weight is 18.7g
Rained all day and skies cleared with not even a whisper of a breeze. Flew the Sport, the full bodied BD-5J, and the profile version.

The profile version required a little bit of down elevator trim to fly right. Flies very nice, more wing area and less wieght than the full body model, and looks good in flight. Does loops and stall turns, stays aloft at lowest power settings.

Sorry about not having any video. I would like to make the purchase but do not want to spend $ for the one I want right now.

BFR (Building, Flying, Repairing),
Ken (dz1sfb)

12-MY-2007 at 10:53pm

Added plans and pics rather than having to go to the post.

The plans posted here are revised from the prototype;
  • Wing incidence has been reduced from 5 to 4 degrees to eliminate trimming the elevator.
This is a excellent flying plane and looks fabulous for a profile. I have built a second one with less incidence and will have it completed this Monday. Also added panel lines to the trim. Looks cool!

16-MY-2007 at 5:32pm

Added updated plans. More annotation in new version.
Happy BFR,
Ken

24-JN-2007

Added PDF file of revision C plans

28-JN-2007

Final version and best flying. 3mm fuselage parts and 5mm thick wings. Motors mounted on top of wing yield better wind penetration. This one also glides very well with power off.
Last edited by dz1sfb; Jul 18, 2007 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Added pdf file of the Plans
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2007, 11:30 PM
Ken's CAD Models

BD-5J AA Factory

Just showing some pic's I snapped of BD-5J AA finished and works in progress.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
May 17, 2007, 08:28 AM
did it flied?
Ken,
Brilliant stuff. You got some plans there and I think these guys would like to hear from you http://www.scalebd.com/
If you email the owner WebMaster@ScaleBD.com with a link to your plans & blog then you are set. They are looking for plans like this so check it out

Nick
May 17, 2007, 11:25 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Electronick,

They have contacted me. I have been a little short of time to get back. I will reply to their PM today.

Thanks,
Ken
May 17, 2007, 02:25 PM
Pro Bro #1008
may i ask a stoopid question..? what is an "AA Jet"..?

very nice work by the way sir!
May 17, 2007, 07:51 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie_in_texas
may i ask a stoopid question..? what is an "AA Jet"..?

very nice work by the way sir!
Hi Birdie,

An AA Jet is short for Aero Ace Jet sold under the Air Hogs brand name. Available at Target, Meijers, Wal-mart, Toys R Us, and the like, for around $30.

Ken
May 25, 2007, 05:55 AM
Ken's CAD Models

Flight Log - first extensive flight test - 23-MY-2007

First flight of this bird I expected it to be much like the first. I could not be more wrong. I could not get it trimmed out without adding weight to the nose. So, I reduced the wing incedence (decalage) by 1-1/2 degrees. This put the total wing incedence to 2-1/2 degrees. She flew much better, but still climbed a little too steep at the lowest throttle setting. Trimming in a minor amount of down in the elevator caused it to head for the ground, though gently. Taped a penny over the LE of wing and this helped greatly. Will get the weight right to put it on the nose.

A difference seen in this one (#2 profile) from the others is more power through manuvers. For example, with the first two models they would loop mostly by falling through the loop at the top. The latest version, though a shy tail heavy, pulls through the loop (not perfectly, but much more so). Also adverse yaw rolls are achieved with this one, though a bit sloppy, and at near stall speed from a zoom.

I will post an update when I have added wieght and tested.

Happy BFR,
Ken
May 30, 2007, 09:17 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Revision C plans posted

Hi All,

Updated the plans with 2-1/2 degree incidence and added CF rod to reinforce nose section.

Thanks,
Ken
May 31, 2007, 07:35 AM
Ken's CAD Models

Updated test flight information

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb

I will post an update when I have added wieght and tested.

Happy BFR,
Ken
Okay, I am happy now! A little bit of solder in the nose (very little) and this bird is a delight. The CG is still around 33% of wing chord, but is now closer to 30%.

I had also added the carbon fiber rods to stiffen the nose, as cracks had developed from too many one point and wingtip landings.

Flying - very stable and lots of fun. Stall turns, loops, immelmans, and very loose barrel rolls. Turns have to be watched for getting in too much of a bank. This is remedied by pouring on the power and it will pull out of it.

All changes have been incorporated into revision C of the plans. Just watch the CG.

I am still trying to get video,

Ken
Jun 05, 2007, 06:27 PM
Supersonic hover
Hey Ken thanks for the great plans! I just got a Havoc Heli this weekend and it's motivated me to try an AA mod too.

-Matt
Jun 05, 2007, 08:55 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Link to Video of BD-5J Profile with AA Guts

Hi All,

Just posting a link in this thread to the video that I posted up of this aircraft in flight. Not the greatest quality, but better than some.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693671

Happy BFR,
Ken
Jun 24, 2007, 07:49 PM
Ken's CAD Models

PDF file added of the latest plan

Hi All,

I have added a pdf file of the revision C plan. at the top of this thread. Many more will be able to build with this.

Happy BFR,
Ken
Jun 27, 2007, 07:38 PM
Ken's CAD Models

New Plans for BD-5J with all 3mm Depron parts

Greetings All,

I just finished a 3mm depron version of this model and have the plans in pdf format here.

Happy BFR,
Ken
Jun 29, 2007, 06:16 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Non-Tiled Plan update

Greetings Friends,

Racer X requested a non-tiled version of this plan. So, here it is, for any others that like to print on one sheet of paper.

Happy BFR,
Ken
Jul 02, 2007, 09:32 AM
Ken's CAD Models

More Testing updates!

I was not satisfied with the 3mm wing on this airplane. Flight is more twitchy. Definitely will stick with the 5mm thick wing, as the airfoil gives much more low speed stability over a flate plate.

I tried the same design as the 3mm with a 5mm thick wing and mounted the motors on top of the wing. Wow! what a difference in flight characteristics. Everyone of these planes has required some nose weight to trim out the flight. I thought that this one would also. Boy! was I wrong. I had added a gram to the nose to get a similar CG location as the other ones. Flew it this morning, and I needed full throttle to keep it in the air. So I removed the nose weight and tah-dah! it stayed up with out excessive speed. As a matter of fact, the top mounted motors push a little too hard, and are probably above the vertical CG. It handled real nice in the wind though. It would not balloon into the wind.

If any one is interested I will post the plans, just PM me, otherwise do your own experiments. It is aot of fun.

Happy BFR&T(T is for testing),
Ken

I decided to add the plans anyway. no need to PM.
Last edited by dz1sfb; Jul 02, 2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: added plans