New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2007, 06:57 PM
Find More Posts by klondikes
Crashin' n learnin'
Discussion

CX2 Positive Power Lead Loose From 4-in-1

About 6 weeks ago I had the positive (red) power lead come loose from the 4-in-1 circuit board. I spent several hours getting the board cleaned, the hole cleared and the lead re-soldered. It was difficult because of the small amount of room to solder and the way these power leads are micro-soldered so close together. It worked but just came loose again.

I am replacing the 4-in-1 right now with a new one because I don't think fixing the old one again will be successful. But, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

klondikes
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2007, 12:19 AM
Find More Posts by Kamov

CX2 Positive Power Lead Loose From 4-in-1

Klondikes

The exact problem problem you mentioned happened to me and almost sure will eventually happen to the rest of us but there is a fix and unfortunately I wasn't able to fix it and had the same difficulties as you have. The good news is this is preventable. The solution is to tie-wrap the power leads to the battery tray see attached photo

additional photos, mods, description are posted on my photo sharing site[hope linking is allowed] but its password protected just type: cx2

http://www.pbase.com/pixelphoto/heli
Old May 11, 2007, 03:05 AM
Find More Posts by Sirion
The Shadows are coming!
Good thinking. That's a fearsome set of pics on your website. I see that you weren't game to leave the heli in idle when you set the Tx down on the ground along side it.
Old May 11, 2007, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by klondikes
Crashin' n learnin'
I did a similar mod with my new 4-in-1. I figured the problem was the strain on the connection at the 4-in-1 when moving the leads when connecting and disconnecting the LiPo. The fix is to isolate the leads from the 4-in-1 so they do not move at the connection. I also have a LiGlow LiPo alarm kit that I incorporated into my fix. The attached pics show how I have the leads from the 4-in-1 going around the front of the 4-in-1 and the JST connector is fixed to the right side of the 4-in-1. Then I attached a jumper and connected my LiGlow alarm to the JST connector and have plenty, actually too much, extra wire on the jumper that goes to the LiPo.

In use, I put the battery in with the connection forward. I connect the jumper and stuff all the excess wire into the nose of the heli. I am a stickler on having no wires showing outside of the heli during flight. I am really anal about seeing electrical wires hanging from a heli. Probably a psychological malfunction within me but I just refuse to allow electrical wires to show outside the canopy.

Anyway, I believe this mod will keep any connection at the 4-in-1 from coming loose again.

Oh, and the pics on Kamov's site are really nice. That pic of the 4-in-1 circuit board where the power leads connect looks so familure. Not that I spent 4 hours with a solder wick, solder picks, a magnifying glass and a soldering iron cleaning that positive lead connection and re-soldering the positive wire to the board.

Happy flying.

klondikes