May 08, 2007, 01:39 PM
Lover of scale R/C
Thread OP
Build Log

Flycat EDF (AKA Lynx with HL)

I'm putting together one of these kits.
Great looking model, but not without some issues..

Number 1: None of the parts fit!! I had to sand away at the booms to get them to slide over the wings,for what seemed like forever,sandedoff all the dimples, also feathered off the blunt edges.

It's looking better now, worst of all the junction between the wing and forward fuse underneath was about 3/16" deeper on the wing than the part it mates up to...

I understand HL have their version called the Lynx, but can anyone please illustrate where and how much CF was used to prevent the nose falling off on landing?

What other improvements can I make too?

I'm going to cover with WBPU and talc, then paint it.

Any tips on mounting the fan, I'm using a microfan with a HET motor good for 300 watts and 1 lb of thrust.
Do you think this will do any good?
I want to run 4S lipo's too.

Here's pics of my progress.
Last edited by Matt Halton; May 08, 2007 at 01:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2007, 01:42 PM
Lover of scale R/C
Thread OP
More detail photos.

Motor info:

"WEMOTEC MICROFAN COMPLETE WITH HET 240-15 BRUSHLESS MOTOR

300W ON 3s LIPO

ALL BRAND NEW IN PACKET

MOTOR IS 6000KV AND RATED UPTO 30A

THIS IS ABOUT AS POWERFUL AS YOU CAN GO WITH THE MICROFAN

~1LB THRUST"
May 08, 2007, 04:07 PM
Still Screamin'!
Nice Matt! But even though it looks alot like the Lynx, it isn't The Lynx has no spot in the upper wing for the elevator servo. Hobby-Lobby made extensive changes to the basic airframe to make it fit better and be stronger in the right places. Even your hardware is different. Here'a couple shots of mine from SEFF. You will love this plane though!! It's a great flyer with no bad habits
May 08, 2007, 09:15 PM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
I also have the HL Lynx. Even with the elevator servo in the tail mine came out nose heavy. I had to move the motor back to get it to balance. Flys really well, especially on 4s 1320.
RCA
May 09, 2007, 10:20 AM
I have both versions. Good luck on the build. I suggest beefing up the fuse with 4 carbon fiber rods. Run two 6" rods in parallel, a half inch apart centered at the leading edge wing to fuse root. That is the weakest spot and is the point that will break if the nose takes a hard impact. The HL version does 1 rod per side, I found two is really strong and weight gain is minimal. You may wish to imbed a carbon fiber rod across the rear horizontal. I've split that on a hard landing. move the elevator servo to the rear so that you can ditch those plastic control rods. It also helps with the CG. If you have a hot knife, you can cut a trench in the bottom of the tail booms for the entire length and imbed a carbon fiber flat spar that will help keep the tail intact on landings. With those mods, the airframe can take some punishment.
May 09, 2007, 08:06 PM
Lover of scale R/C
Thread OP
Thanks for your input guys!
Yours looks great there Bob, how fast does she go?
Thanks for the tips Joe,I will incorporate the mods as you have described into mine.

Last questions before I build anymore.. #1:Am just puzzled as to how you mount the motor and fan where it is, do you use the supplied mount for the pusher and somehow lash it together?
#2: How many degrees of downthrust will I need please?

Sorry to be a pain, but there is nothing in the 'destructions' to this effect.

BTW-What size diameter CF rod are you using Joe? Thanks.
May 09, 2007, 08:29 PM
Still Screamin'!
Mine was built 100% to spec, so I have no idea about the downthrust? Mine was radared at SEFF at 115 mph. Yours will be in the high 90's on your set up. Here's a video of mine on a weak battery.

http://media.putfile.com/Lynx-XF-Jet-Screamer-4S
May 11, 2007, 10:55 PM
Lover of scale R/C
Thread OP
Well after watching that video there Bob I'm convinced!!
I just went and ordered the whole kit and caboodle!

ETH550 - XF-FAN 56MM DUCTED FAN $24.90

1 ETH552 - ALUM. PROP SHAFT ADAPTER 2.3MM $4.30 1 MMC5156 - JETSCREAMER 5100 W/56MM ADPT $77.25

Yee ha! As you Americans might say!
May 11, 2007, 11:31 PM
AA6JB
Oh OH ... another HL order?!

I should have made it clear that I am always willing to help you out, like we did with the PJ Matt...anytime really! If it gets it to you faster?
May 13, 2007, 06:35 PM
Lover of scale R/C
Thread OP
Thanks Jon, but I didn't want to hassle you too much, you've been very kind already.
Anyway, the delivery got here last time from HL,so thought I'd give them another shot..

I'd like to build a Hawk (love 'em) from the new pink foam delivery I just had, am going to blow up scale drawings then cut and carve a fuse and go from there.(exact scale)

Not sure which fan to use, I have the microfan, now the XF with an LS...decisions..
May 13, 2007, 07:00 PM
AA6JB
Honestly no hassle Matt .. I'm always glad to help another enthusiast out, really!
May 15, 2007, 09:13 AM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
Heres some video of mine with 4S 1320 pack.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=293
RCA
May 15, 2007, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton
Thanks for your input guys!
Yours looks great there Bob, how fast does she go?
Thanks for the tips Joe,I will incorporate the mods as you have described into mine.

Last questions before I build anymore.. #1:Am just puzzled as to how you mount the motor and fan where it is, do you use the supplied mount for the pusher and somehow lash it together?
#2: How many degrees of downthrust will I need please?

Sorry to be a pain, but there is nothing in the 'destructions' to this effect.

BTW-What size diameter CF rod are you using Joe? Thanks.
The included stick mount, when properly installed will provide the correct thrust angle. It's installed into the fuse and sits on a "block" at the trailing edge center of the wing. The EDF or pusher prop, whatever you choose is mounted to the stick and all should be well. If you oder the EDF kit from HL, the EDF mount will screw on to the stick mount, keeping the thrust angle correct. A standard stick mount for a pusher prop simply slides on the end and secusres with a screw. Either way they both rely on the proper installation of the stick. As long as the stick sits correctly in the wing pocket and on the rear block, you are good to go.

As far as the carbon rods, I've done it several ways. I've done tube, flat spars and rods. 1.5mm solid rods work well for the fuse reinforcement.
May 15, 2007, 07:02 PM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
Mine has no carbon in it at all. I load tested the wing to 9 Gs at 15oz and 7 Gs at 19oz. I saw no issues, so I left them out. Mine flys well over 100 mph and I have never seen the wings flex. Don't add the weight. it isn't necessary. You will just have more vertical.
RCA
May 21, 2007, 01:31 AM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
I only used the carbon included in the kit. Strong at 100-110mph so far.
Here is video of mine on 3S. Great little plane.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687774

Don

Quick Reply