May 08, 2007, 05:04 AM
Thread OP
New Product

New Product Announcement: AeroPix “AeroOSD”

After a few months of work and hundreds of km of FPV flight tests, the new AeroOSD is ready for its first public appearance. The feature set contains most of the 'essentials' for FPV flight, but also includes some features that will add a lot more fun into this already exciting hobby.

Product essentials:

Main “AeroOSD” module performs video overlay, and measures current and voltage (includes pass-through “deans” ultra connectors)

- Onboard USB connector (Mini-B) supports pre-flight programming, and flash firmware updates.
- Connection to an unused Rx channel supports in-flight menu changes from ground
- Critical power information shown in graphical form including
o Pack Voltage
o Instantaneous Current
o Total mAh consumed (pack capacity may be pre-programmed via the USB port)
o Instantaneous Power Consumption (in Watts)
Modular system, multiple sensor modules may be chained together; these include a “5Hz GPS”, a “precision barometric altimeter sensor”, and some other fun stuff to follow.

- With GPS Sensor, the following additional features are available
o 5Hz update of GPS position
o Altitude
o Ground-speed
o Heading
o Total distance traveled for each flight
Some more of the fun stuff:
Waypoint guidance software, with Google-earth interface, specify a list of waypoints, and the OSD guides you around them while flying FPV
Mission Modules, tiny storage devices may be programmed with a list of waypoints around each flying site
Background of the new development:

The basic concept was to answer some of the questions that a FPV Pilot asks during most flights:

- How much longer can I stay up? what is the state of my battery pack?
- Which way is home? How far away is it? How close to the limits of radio range am I?
- The Waypoint guidance builds upon this, and adds a whole new dimension to FPV flight.
1. Spend some time with Google earth, marking one or more “placemarks” around your launch site.
2. Hit a key, and program a 'Mission Module' with the route defined, and plug it into the sensor chain.
3. Launch the plane, and let it guide you around the defined circuit, showing the heading and distance to the next point.
- Multiple Mission Modules may be pre-programmed, eliminating the need for a Laptop to program the route at the flying site.

First beta test boards should ship within 2 weeks, a larger test will follow soon after, incorporating the early feedback.
Price: TBD (but will be quite affordable)
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2007, 06:03 AM
It does look great Anthony. It has all I was hoping to make in my OSD project...

Frederic
May 08, 2007, 06:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredericG
It does look great Anthony. It has all I was hoping to make in my OSD project...

Frederic
Many thanks Frederic,
I hope that you, and everyone else working on these exciting projects continue your developments, there is plenty of room in this rapidly expanding hobby for many of these fun designs, especially the open-source developments.

The AeroOSD had its roots (and much of its code) in a low-cost UAV design, started a couple of years ago now, the project itself was a lot of fun (and a lot of work), but when we finally got the plane to fly itself the fun stopped... a couple of burned out geeks standing in a field with arms crossed watching a plane circle around a few waypoints.... um... now what!

The guided FPV concept gets the pilot back into the loop, very exciting stuff.
May 08, 2007, 06:54 AM
67N2F
What a great surprise! If there is a list, put me on it. I want one as soon as I can get one.

Looks great!!!

Rob
May 08, 2007, 06:56 AM
It's in-oz, not in/oz!
Looks good Anthony!

Is that a 3D rendering in the pic of the PCB assembly? Which PCB software do you use? I'm debating whether to continue using my ancient copy of OrCad, or move onto something newer, but inexpensive, like Eagle or Kicad.

Are you using a microprocessor-based OSD (vs a dedicated OSD chip)? The overlay looks clean and sharp!

tom
May 08, 2007, 07:09 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp
Looks good Anthony!

Is that a 3D rendering in the pic of the PCB assembly? Which PCB software do you use? I'm debating whether to continue using my ancient copy of OrCad, or move onto something newer, but inexpensive, like Eagle or Kicad.

Are you using a microprocessor-based OSD (vs a dedicated OSD chip)? The overlay looks clean and sharp!

tom
The board design package is Eagle, with 3d rendering is handled by a really superb freeware package called Eagle3d, written by a guy called Mattias:
http://www.matwei.de/doku.php?id=en:eagle3d:eagle3d

The OSD is created directly by the microprocessor, its not as nice as pure-hardware solutions, but after countless hours of flight it has been more than adequate.
May 08, 2007, 08:17 AM
Live FPV or Die
Very good job Anthony

I should receive the beta unit in two to three weeks, I look forward to try it. I build my new Easystar light and simple in the goal to use OSD. Dashboard look cool but it's hard to see data oftenly. With OSD, we will have much more data and always clearly visible.
May 08, 2007, 10:41 AM
VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! Then again, I'm not surprized coming from you
May 08, 2007, 10:43 AM
Very cool, The data display is very clean to. It's not spread all over the screen like many other OSD's
May 08, 2007, 11:22 AM
Be wise, and make friends.
Super, and beautiful job Anthony.
I loved it, very little characters, does not fill up the whole screen.
Congratulations buddy.
May 08, 2007, 12:04 PM
FPV Pilot
Really nice OSD Anthony . Will the altitude be able to be in feet also. looking forward to vrflyers testing.
May 08, 2007, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Many thanks Frederic,
I hope that you, and everyone else working on these exciting projects continue your developments, there is plenty of room in this rapidly expanding hobby for many of these fun designs, especially the open-source developments.
Sure, now that I am that far, I will continue; just wanted to say that I very much like what you have created. When I started my project I disliked the layout of most OSD modules. I also wanted navigation without the need of a hikers GPS.

Frederic
May 08, 2007, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
Many thanks for all the great feedback, it is a real motivation to get the software polished, and get through the beta program.

I can't take all the credit for this design, I work with a guy who can program PIC fuses in his sleep, and makes board layout look like child's play :-)

As for the meters/feet question... you guys still use those crazy units?
Seriously though, this won't be a problem, it will be programmable.
May 08, 2007, 01:26 PM
BTW Anthony, which GPS are you using for this OSD?

Quick Reply