Jan 09, 2018, 04:23 PM
Thanks Brian
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2018, 10:55 AM
Some painting done.
Feb 06, 2018, 09:44 PM
Done. Finished.
Feb 07, 2018, 11:02 AM
Very nice work, great camo paint. Should fly as nice as it looks if CG is right.
Feb 07, 2018, 11:06 AM
Thanks.
Aug 15, 2019, 01:28 PM

Covering The Nieuport 28

Greetings! I hope someone is still listening on this old thread.

I'm thinking the Nieuport 28 might be a good choice for my next build but I've got one concern. I've built a number of models, including the Dumas Ercoupe, but I've never painted over a film covering. Is there any trick to doing this? Do I just have to use the right covering and paint, or is some sort of preparation of the surface required?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Last edited by ultrarunner; Aug 15, 2019 at 05:18 PM.
Aug 15, 2019, 03:03 PM
Neophyte hacker
Yes, there are tricks depending on what covering you use.

For some you need to use an etching primer, such as from auto shops. Others just need to cleaned of all oils very well. When using doculam I would 'etch' it with vinegar and then clean with alcohol before painting with latex house paint.

Some folks will use a green or blue cleaning pad to scuff the film.

Some have had good luck with Krylon Fusion paint for plastics.

Others have simply used paints like Model Master acrylics.

The problem is not the paint itself, but, the masking tape used for painting lines and such. The tape will lift the paint if it does not adhere well. Some modify the tape instead by taping it to a pair of jeans a couple times to make it less tacky. I have never tried that. Some have used wet newspaper for masking.

If you can hand paint a nice line, then you won't need to mask and those problems kinda go away. IIRC Tritle hand painted his without masking. He used Model Master acrylics.

charlie
Aug 15, 2019, 04:21 PM
Thanks, portablevcb. It sounds like just using Model Master acrylics is the simplest solution. But I guess whatever I decide to try, I can do a little testing/trial-and-error and I should come up with something.
May 18, 2021, 06:31 PM
I see this thread has been up for many years, but it’s still relevant as there are some of us still buy and building this kit.
May 18, 2021, 06:51 PM

First build in 30+ years

What a beautiful kit. Thanks, Pat, for such a thoughtful design. And thanks to all of you for your ideas in this thread. I covered this model with the supplied tissue, and used EZ-Dope. It turned out pretty good, but never again, as I am constantly repairing holes and tears from normal use. Next time—Parklite Ultracoat. Had some issues with stalling, especially on landing approach. But flying at altitude it’s glorious. Flies slow and scale. Looks awesome in the air. A real floater. Flies, as Pat said, “on the wing.” Survived six major crashes, was able to repair it each time. But I’ve learned a lot, and will not repeat my mistakes—at least, not the same mistakes. Will probably make other, new mistakes. Am currently building the 40” Taylorcraft, and I have the Rapide and the Waco kits waiting in the wings. Just bought another Nieuport 28, as I want to build it again, better. Love these designs. Love the idea of building light for free flight, but with electric power.
Last edited by drumset; May 18, 2021 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply