May 17, 2007, 08:37 AM
Thread OP

Building the Landing Gear

The front and rear main struts were bent from .055 wire and the axle from .062. The assembly was soldered together in place on the fuselage and then lashed in place with thread and glued with thin Cya.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2007, 08:45 AM
Thread OP

Adding the Paper Farings

A paper pattern was made around the bottom wing where it meets the fuselage. Once the faring had been trimmed for a good fit, a new fairing was made from yellow file folder. After the farings were trimmed for the best fit, they were scanned, traced and added to the plans. The parts were then glued in place on the fuselage.

The cockpit faring was easy by comparison, also cut from file folder and glued in place with canopy 560.

And finally, the landing gear wire came out of the fuselage between the stringers with no support for the cover. Bits of file folder were used here too.
May 17, 2007, 08:49 AM
Thread OP

The Tail Faring Block

The tail faring block was cut from 3/16 balsa and carved to shape. The cabanes were bent from .055 wire and fitted into the fuselage. Then, the top wing was slipped onto the cabanes and the interplanes fitted into the wing.

And with that, the basic framing is done, so now it's time to set up the motor and guidence systems.

PAT
May 17, 2007, 09:20 AM
Here you go Pat. Callie should have a field day with this.

sp
May 17, 2007, 10:22 AM
Hey Pat,
Yeah, go with the #12 scheme, that would be a blast to recreate!
May 17, 2007, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Wow! What started out to be fairly simple has really turned into a pretty tough choice!!! What I'm leaning toward now is Rickenbaker's #12 with the poster on the wing. Callie could do real good on that one! The other front runner is the red and white Trainer scheme.

PAT

PAT
Pat,
Why make the choice? Would it be too expensive to provide enough extra decals and instructions so a modeler can choose between two or three different schemes to make? All it would take would be a few extra decals, possibly on the same sheet, and a few more instructions.
Yes, I know, thats easy for me to say. but it is an idea.
May 17, 2007, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
Sperry,
May 17, 2007, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Sperry,

You ring?
May 17, 2007, 04:25 PM
Thread OP
Sperry, That's the one! I found a b&W picture in the Windsock Datafile of that scheme too, but it only had the poster on the bottom wing -- but then, the fabric was shreaded off the top wing, so there's really no way to know for sure if it was there or not. I like your's better.

PAT
May 17, 2007, 04:59 PM
Neophyte hacker
sculptor,

Bottom line is, yes it would be that much more expensive. You wouldn't believe that amount of 'penny pinching' that goes into making a kit for "high volume" production. Things like releasing the kits in batches of three because the labels are a few cents a piece cheaper that way.

Also, that's one reason we don't include any decals in our kits. At 'low volume' the $10 per kit for decals is a big difference, especially when most folks won't use the ones in the box anyway.

charlie
May 17, 2007, 06:57 PM
Pat
I understand from some buddies over on the WWI Modeling List that Rickenbacker had them on both top & bottom wing panels and Meissner had it on the bottom only. Since both pilots experienced fabric ripping off their wings in flight, I am not sure if both had two posters at one time or they only had 3 posters and Rickenbacker got 2.

sp
May 21, 2007, 09:59 PM
Thread OP

It Looks Like the Nieuport Is About Ready To Cover

Got the servos and elevator pushrod tube place, and am ready to run in the rudder cables. The tail cone is done and in place, and the motor mount is assembled and in place. Finally, the cowl was mounted and a bit of detail sanding done. From here, there's maybe an hour of detail work left, then it's time for cover. It's funny how quickly a simple 3 ch. model goes together after doing some of the larger 4 ch. models and a couple of twins!

PAT
Jun 06, 2007, 08:52 AM
Thread OP

Cover and Paint

The model was covered with Litefilm using cream on the bottom and silver on top. I ran out of silver so had to substitute cream to finish it up. I did have 3 rolls of the new Coverite "Space Age Film" but it was radically different from Litefilm in both color and texture, and it's about 15% heavier. The stuff looks alot like the old Ultra Coat Aluminum. Don't want to do the "mix and match" on this one, so will try it on another project and see how it goes.

Painting was done using Model Master Acryl. The colors were brushed on using a 1/2" brush. Next step will be the Graphics, then it's on to finall assembly.

PAT
Jun 11, 2007, 08:09 AM
Thread OP

Getting the Graphics in place

As always, Callie's graphics were first rate, especially the posters for the wings. All were applied dry, and very carefully since once the graphic contacts the painted Lightfilm, you'r completely committed!
Jun 11, 2007, 08:19 AM
Thread OP

Getting It All Together

With the cover, paint and graphics done, it was time to get all the big pieces together. The geared S-280 was mounted, the 3" wheels built from the kit and the controls set up. As it turns out, the CG came out just right using a 1320 2 cell velcro'd to the back of the firewall.

On 2 cells, the 6V S-280 with 2.8:1 gearing pulls 4.3 amps and makes around 30 watts using a 9-7 prop. With a flying weight of 10.8 oz, that's just about 40 watts/ lb. It should work!

Quick Reply