35" Nieuport 28 Build - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 07, 2007, 08:49 PM
Build Log

35" Nieuport 28 Build

Well, after a couple false starts, and a project or two that needed finishing first, the Nieuport 28 build is finally underway. The model will have a 35" span, power will either be geared S-280 or IPS, depending on the finished weight of the model.

The build began with a few sub-assemblies. It turns out that mounting the bottom wing was a bigger challenge then I would ever have thought. The best way I found was to use a saddle that is fitted into the fuselage truss. Will see how that works out when things are a little farther along.

The cabane mounts are laminated from 3 layers of balsa to eliminate end drilling the mount blocks. Should make setting up the cabanes a bit easier this time. And, due to the limitations of wood size for parts nesting, the firewall is cut in 2 pieces and glued together.
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2007, 08:53 PM

Moving On to the Rear

The tail section was done next. All the outlines are bowed to keep things light.

The fuselage will be formered and stringered around a trussed internal box -- strong and light. Keeping the tail light on these WW-I models is really important to get a good CG without alot of ballast, so figured this would be the best way to do it.

PAT
May 07, 2007, 10:36 PM
Another of my favourites Pat. I'll be watching this one.

Martin
May 11, 2007, 08:40 PM

Joining the Fuselage Frames

The fuselage side frames were joined starting with the Landing Gear beams and cabane mounts. The cross pieces went in next, followed by the lower wing mount assembly.
May 11, 2007, 08:46 PM

Adding the Formers

With the main frame together, all the 1/4 formers were added. The horizontal stab mounts on a plate that floats between the two rear formers. Meanwhile, most of the stringers are in place, but don't have a photo yet. Will get some posted up early next week.

What's ironic about the Nieuport 28 design is that for an airplane that looks so simple on the outside, this one has presented more challenges than any other WW-I fighter I've done yet!

PAT
May 16, 2007, 08:28 AM

Framing the Wings

After doing up some far more complex projects, the wings on the N-28 went together real quick! No nacelles, no landing gear -- no ailerons. So for now, the major framing is done and it's time to work up the bottom wing saddle details and figure out how the fairing will go on.

PAT
May 16, 2007, 01:40 PM
Ahhh.....another Tritle masterpiece! Is this going to be for sale, or a Dumas Kit?
May 16, 2007, 04:20 PM
It flew once before...
Pat ,

Ok , you got me again ! I'm willing to bet this is a Dumas kit judging by the WS ...Is this the last in the trilogy ?

-John
May 16, 2007, 07:44 PM
Fine looking set of bones Pat. Are you going to cover it with a cheezy brand of tissue so you can get scale fabric shedding in a powerdive ? ;-)

Seriously, any particular machine in mind for the markings? Some of the N.28 cowls had cool paint jobs and then there was the 27th Aero Squadron eagle, the 94th's hat in the ring and another squadron whose number I can't recall off the top of my head that had the kicking mule emblem. Lots of great markings to choose from with the N.28

sp
May 16, 2007, 09:18 PM
Imodel, John, This one is going to Dumas along with the Bobcat and another design which is well into the drawing stages.

Sperry, Haven't decided for sure what to cover this one with, but most of the "production" N-28's that I've found were camaflauged. There are a couple prototype pictures that look like they might be overal silver, and one in natural linen, but are pretty mundane in the looks department.

However, the one I have my eye on is the 3 tone (2 shades of green and brown) with a natural bottom. The cowl and verticle tail are red white and blue, and flew with the 9th aero squadron with the Hat in the Ring on the fuselage. I'll start with cream Litfilm on the bottom and silver on top, then use Model Master Acryl colors and let it chip for a bit of natural weathering.

PAT
May 16, 2007, 09:38 PM
How about a nice simple refoned scheme like the 3rd one down on this page?

http://mars.ark.com/~mdf/N_28.html

bill
May 16, 2007, 10:23 PM
Pat

The Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola has one done in silver and mundane barely covers it. The 28 has some clean lines, but overall silver does not set them off well.

Heres a profile of a French Camoed 94th Aero Squadron machine. That camo is a nussiance on account of so many colors to mix, but with the US roundels, hat in the ring and that big ole rudder it sure sets it off well.

sp
May 16, 2007, 10:58 PM
"That camo is a nussiance on account of so many colors to mix,"

That's why I like craft acrylic paints. Just take the color view into the store and find the colors that match. Turned out well on my SPAD. Just have to remember to paint a clear coat over it so rain drops and morning dew don't splotch the paint job

Pat, this one begs for a colored tissue overlay job Just think about how 'easy' it would be with those compound curves

charlie
May 17, 2007, 12:33 AM
Similar finish to mine from Pete's plan.
May 17, 2007, 08:13 AM
Wow! What started out to be fairly simple has really turned into a pretty tough choice!!! What I'm leaning toward now is Rickenbaker's #12 with the poster on the wing. Callie could do real good on that one! The other front runner is the red and white Trainer scheme.

PAT

PAT