Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 07, 2007, 05:10 PM
Lover of scale R/C
Discussion

John Ranson's mighty de Havilland Hornet pics and video.

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting John at the Bickley E flight meeting in Kent U.K. on Sunday with his amazing Hornet.

It is built from his own drawings and the detail and form are just about as perfect as you are likely to meet.
It is 100" span, weighs (I think he said about 26 lbs)

It has a sound system on board pumping out sampled RR Merlin sound, you just have to see it, I was gobsmacked!

To cap it all, an ex RAF Hornet pilot came along, and it was fascinating to hear his stories with regard to flying the type.

Let the pictures and video do the talking, it is stunning. The cockpit detail was a pleasure to behold, aparrently, the pilot cost a cool 150..He even rotates his head as the ailerons are moved.

Well done John, it's a brilliant aircraft, it took 2,000 hours to build, but the net results speak for themselves.

It was quite windy when I shot the video, but generally handled well, plenty of go from those twin Hackers.
This magnificent machine was followed through it's build in QEFI recently.

Enjoy!
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2007, 05:49 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
truly spectacular...
May 07, 2007, 06:26 PM
WOW
That was beautiful.
Thanks for posting.
Cheers Mike
May 07, 2007, 07:28 PM
Very nice job on this plane.
May 08, 2007, 11:26 AM
Planes are cool ;)
That's just gorgeous isn't it? Flies nicely too.

Hughbert
May 09, 2007, 10:24 AM
Hi Matt and all,

Thanks for doing the video, two landings for the price of one! I think that it was the worst one (or two) I have done to date. We were trying to do a bit of lazy 8 formation work on a windy day but we might just have well have been in different counties, but it did begin to get a bit closer at the end - honest!

I found out on the day that one speaker had blown so the sound was only half what it should have been, especially with the M25 and the wind roaring away. I know excuses, excuses. That was flight 14 so I am still learning to get the hang of it. It will roll, loop and spin.

John
May 09, 2007, 10:49 AM
Keep building, buying,fly
who thinks the colour on the botton is a bit off from the original !!

I didn't know Hanger 9 made this ARTF
Last edited by Bigplumbs; May 09, 2007 at 12:34 PM.
May 09, 2007, 11:08 AM
John,
Tsk tsk...No more excuses...all will be forgiven however if you give us another video with full sound on a less windy day. I want to hear the full engine sound.
Fantastic model you have built yourself there. How long did it take?
Cheers Mike
May 10, 2007, 04:00 AM
Hi Big Plumbs, may they never be troubled by wasps!

Hi Mike, After nearly two years and 2000 hours it was an ARTF. Yes I will get a sound video sorted.

John
May 10, 2007, 04:27 AM
Spaceplanes...
John

Congrats on a superb model - have followed this with interest in Q&EFI and very pleased to see it flying so well.

Any chance you will be flying at any of the displays in the West Country - Woodspring Wings maybe? Would love to see it in the flesh!

Very well done indeed

Best,

Damage
May 10, 2007, 07:46 AM
Hi Damage,
Thanks for the kind comments. Yes I am very pleased with it and hope I do not to make a 1:5.4 scale crater with it in the next few weeks.

I am so far over to the East that I am by the seaside. However if you can organise a some nice settled weather for that weekend then I hope to come to Woodsprings.
John
May 10, 2007, 08:39 PM
Dig it up, we'll fix it..
Absolutely brilliant, John. I've always felt the Hornet to be one of the best looking planes of all time and you have certainly done her justice!

VERY well done!

Cheers,

Mike
May 11, 2007, 08:37 AM
congratulations, a very well done warbird with cool sound --- maximum respect

do u have some pics of the soundinstallation? is there a buildthread anywhere?

holm und rippenbruch
thorsten
May 11, 2007, 12:26 PM
Planes are cool ;)
The build has been documented in a few of the recent issues of Quiet and Electric Flight International (QEFI) magazine. Don't know how available it is outside the UK though, or which issues for which part of the build, sorry!

Google it maybe?

Hughbert

Quick Reply