May 05, 2007, 11:21 AM
AMA 670207
Discussion

Saro Princess

For all who is interested in this aircraft.
I hope to build one someday.........
Perry
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2007, 11:23 AM
AMA 670207
More Princess pics
May 05, 2007, 11:24 AM
AMA 670207
And the one pic I wish I had a poster of.
May 05, 2007, 11:26 AM
AMA 670207
Technical info.
May 05, 2007, 09:01 PM
Turrets Syndrome?
Perry, here is the Princess video. I found some more fly-by footage and will post that later.

Ed

Saunders-Roe Princess Flying Boats (4 min 47 sec)
May 05, 2007, 09:23 PM
Student of Ivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderman98
For all who is interested in this aircraft.
I hope to build one someday.........
Perry
10 engines total if I recall correctly, 8 for the 4 sets of counter rotating props and two outboard with single props.

You gonna use the four counter rotating props as well ?$?$?

John
May 05, 2007, 09:43 PM
Turrets Syndrome?
Here is the fly-by video, turn up the volume! Also I attached some silent footage taken during the day of the maiden flight.

Saro Princess fly-by (2 min 13 sec)
May 06, 2007, 12:50 AM
AMA 670207
[QUOTE=Bomberguy]Perry, here is the Princess video. I found some more fly-by footage and will post that later.

Ed

Thanks Ed.

John,
Um......well I dunno about the counter rotating props. If I can do it cheaply with brushed motors.

I have seen a new "twin" brushless motor that is counter rotating. Too costly in my opinion but once I win the Lotto........

I figured out that only four of the motors need to be powered. Motors 2,3,4,5. 1 and 6,the two outers, could be dummies and free wheeling to cut down on weight and cost. True, there are 10 motors total on the real plane, but to the model, single motors will do.

The model, if I were to get around to bulding one would be of blue foam ala Keith Sparks AKA "Sparky" I have his PBM Mariner plans and the build article and this method would lend itself to this design nicely for simplicity and weight. It would also make the fuselage profile much more exact than to have to do it from balsa.

Now to get the time to do it!

My hope is this thread will motivate other modellers to try their hand at this complex subject. (Thus saving me the time to design it myself.)

Perry
May 06, 2007, 05:54 AM
This needs crosslinking now to the previous entry for the Princess under the Mini Mars https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163308 ........... and now I can add this aswell to the Leviathans section.

Perry you don't have a detailed scan of that Saro Technical page do you I recognise the rest from Seawings etc ..I have some pictures I have scanned that may be of use. PM me an E mail JIC I cannot find it.
Clive

BTW just stick that x section into your printers menue if its got poster print option it fits A4 so just print up to 4x4 A4 or in technical of Free plans and Links you will find a link for a free program called Poster Razor.size no limit really.
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 06, 2007 at 06:24 AM.
May 06, 2007, 10:56 AM
Turrets Syndrome?
IMO you have to do the 4 counter rotating motors and 2 conventional for a scale model. If cost is an issue, the solution is probably to go small and light (Depron?), 60 - 70" span, with small brushed motors and custom gearboxes. The gearbox could be copied (with less gear reduction) from the co-axial micro helicopters which are around $70 RTF. Perhaps the two conventional motors would provide most of the thrust. If you went large and heavy, the in-line outrunners with speed controls would set you back about $800 and you would have to deal with about 140 amps. If you solve the gearbox problem, there are several interesting scale modes to apply them too, including the sister project to the Princess, the Brabazon. I hope someone takes up the challenge! Maybe in retirement eh Perry...

Bristol Brabazon (10 min 4 sec)
May 06, 2007, 11:17 AM
Bomber guy and co. BTW the Brabazon has been done by David Chinnery and 3 others Chinnerys complete with the requisite contras.......... anyone know where to contact him....find out more..........? I did have his E mail on my old system.
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 06, 2007 at 11:23 AM.
May 06, 2007, 11:38 AM
AMA 670207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboatflyingshp
Bomber guy and co. BTW the Brabazon has been done by David Chinnery and 3 others Chinnerys complete with the requisite contras.......... anyone know where to contact him....find out more..........? I did have his E mail on my old system.
Ahhh...the Brab.

Another on of my faves! Brilliant minds think alike eh?

Perry
Last edited by Rudderman98; May 06, 2007 at 11:49 AM.
May 06, 2007, 11:41 AM
AMA 670207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboatflyingshp
Perry you don't have a detailed scan of that Saro Technical page do you I recognise the rest from Seawings etc ..I have some pictures I have scanned that may be of use. PM me an E mail JIC I cannot find it.
Clive

BTW just stick that x section into your printers menue if its got poster print option it fits A4 so just print up to 4x4 A4 or in technical of Free plans and Links you will find a link for a free program called Poster Razor.size no limit really.
Clive,
Unfortunately not. Thanks for the printer tip!

Perry
Last edited by Rudderman98; May 06, 2007 at 11:49 AM.
May 06, 2007, 11:48 AM
AMA 670207
[QUOTE=Bomberguy]IMO you have to do the 4 counter rotating motors and 2 conventional for a scale model. If cost is an issue, the solution is probably to go small and light (Depron?), 60 - 70" span, with small brushed motors and custom gearboxes. The gearbox could be copied (with less gear reduction) from the co-axial micro helicopters which are around $70 RTF. Perhaps the two conventional motors would provide most of the thrust. If you went large and heavy, the in-line outrunners with speed controls would set you back about $800 and you would have to deal with about 140 amps. If you solve the gearbox problem, there are several interesting scale modes to apply them too, including the sister project to the Princess, the Brabazon. I hope someone takes up the challenge! Maybe in retirement eh Perry...

Bomberguy,
Sorry. No depron. And no small planes for me. You know I like them LARGE.
I guess I'll have to agree on the motor arrangement as difficult as it may be to build. I know that more people are looking into the counter rotating motors for more elaborate models. So I'll just sit in the wings and wait for a commercially available unit to come forth. I juust don't have the skills at this time to engineer one......er 4 of them myself.

Of course I would love to build one before retirement.
May 06, 2007, 12:02 PM
Perry I suspect you've seen El Jimbo's thread(s) on contra-rotating brushless bell motors. I've seen his motors in person and although there were a few custom-components involved, overall they did not look that far out of the realm of reasonability. He even uses contra-props on his Slow Stick. With bell motors I also do not think the cost would have to be awfully prohibitive, either. If you can round up someone with a lathe, which should not be hard here on RCGroups, it might be relatively painless.

Luke