May 06, 2007, 08:18 AM
Always Ready!
ewwwwwwwwwww a 60" park flyer with flaperons? whatis of that, and what motor/prop would you recommend? Since this is a slow, slow, slow flyer, I suppose you run 2S on most of these setups?
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2007, 08:24 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
I think you are posting in the wrong tread. War, This is about a 32" Blu Trainer
May 06, 2007, 08:57 AM
That 24 gm Hex is a powerful little motor. I have one on my IFO_T and my Bug and they work fine for that - more power than needed! Should work fine on this.
May 06, 2007, 10:18 AM
OK I just cut one out and cut out the KF pieces also. To do the KF you are putting it on top without any bend ? = Flat bottom foil ?
I might do both wings. Also I can't read the diheadril numbers.
But not ready yet got fuselage to build. Back to basement.

Ken
May 06, 2007, 12:37 PM
Always Ready!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
The Blu-Baby. Is this the World’s Greatest Primary Trainer?

...The Blu-Baby has been built in three different sizes, a 33” indoor and park flyer, a 40” park model with a GWS 350 for the Kid and a 60” AP plane with an accessory sport wing with no dihedral and full span flaperons. All three sizes have exhibited the same kind flying characteristics, super docile handling, very gentle stall and all around great manners....
Tony
Looks like a 60" park flyer is already a reality - I'd love to see some pics and plans and power options.
May 06, 2007, 02:02 PM
I would like to see some more pics of fuse construction and radio installation...

Really nice plane!

Robert
May 06, 2007, 03:59 PM
Out the Window
Tony....Great looking trainer plane. I llike the looks of the monobloc construction. What type and thickness of foam did you use?

FirstShirt...I really like the graphics you put on the second build of the plane. It looks like tape. What type of tape did you use...or is it paint? That would really help in orientation for a new flyer!

Any chance one of the more experienced builder can make a build guide of this plan. That would be great for a first time builder!

Now there is another possibility for my first foamie. Let's see STC.....TrainerOne...or Blu-Baby that is the question.
May 06, 2007, 04:54 PM
Airframe Stress Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
ewwwwwwwwwww a 60" park flyer with flaperons? whatis of that, and what motor/prop would you recommend? Since this is a slow, slow, slow flyer, I suppose you run 2S on most of these setups?

".....The big AP bird flew nicely on an inexpensive BP21 and it now carries a ST Models 1000kv brushless for hauling around cameras......"

Personally, I'd run 3s direct or 2s geared, depending on whether or not it's on floats...

Go Tony go!! Another winner. You do realize, that now that you've been talked into posting another design, now it's expected that AT LEAST 1 a month gets posted???

ATB

Iain
May 06, 2007, 07:10 PM
You deserve my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by willin
I would like to see some more pics of fuse construction and radio installation...

Really nice plane!

Robert
Here are some fuse pix. Mine is unnecessarily complicated because I used several layers of EPP to make a wider fuse. Tony's plan calls for a simpler technique. You'll find build pix for his SE5a, which also uses the monobloc design, here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649178

Pat
May 06, 2007, 07:23 PM
You deserve my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaArtGlass
Tony....Great looking trainer plane. I llike the looks of the monobloc construction. What type and thickness of foam did you use?

FirstShirt...I really like the graphics you put on the second build of the plane. It looks like tape. What type of tape did you use...or is it paint? That would really help in orientation for a new flyer!

Any chance one of the more experienced builder can make a build guide of this plan. That would be great for a first time builder!

Now there is another possibility for my first foamie. Let's see STC.....TrainerOne...or Blu-Baby that is the question.
Glass,

Check Tony's SE5a thread. May answer some of your construction Qs.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649178

The graphics on the wing are cheap, colored packaging tape. Works great!
http://www.fast-pack.com/colored_tape.html

You're right. Color and graphics can be critical when it comes to maintaining orientation. Check this site for some great help on this:
http://www.ultimatecharger.com/color.html

Pat
May 06, 2007, 08:43 PM
Now I understand the concstruction better, I was thinking the internal foam went solid from nose to tail, yet the radio gear is obviously mounted internally.

Thanks!

Robert
May 06, 2007, 10:42 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucej
thanks tony
will this fly on j250 direct drive, as a trainer

40 and 60 ? sounds great to
video plays well 5 meg is about limit on dialup

Good forward thinking on the KFm wing
Bruce, I haven't tried it but it should be fine. The IPS puts out the same thrust as a DD J250. Airplane Ed has a J250 (C) gear drive in his and truthfully, it's a bit overpowered for a primary trainer. That said, it handles the weight and thrust without any problems at all.

The 40" Version was built around the GWS 350 as a park flyer for "The Kid" (who has never seen an airplane he couldn't break). It flies the same as the little on, just bigger.

I built the 60" as a camera plane and it is smooth and stable. As well, I built a 52" accessory wing for it with no dihedral, clark Y airfoil and full span flaperons as a sport wing. It will also lift the camera no sweat but requires a bit more attention when you're flying it. I also mixed a bit of elevator with the flaperons so when you drop flaps the nose doesn't balloon. It rolls, loops hammerheads etc and is a lot of fun.

Here's a movie shot with the Blu-Baby 60" AP plane. It was pretty hazy out that day and the movie was shot with the old camera so the quality isn't awesome. It will give you a good idea of how smooth this plane flies though and it's rate of climb on 21 ounces of thrust. It reaches up over 1,000 ft on this movie. WARNING: It's a big movie. You probably don't want to do this with dial up. NOTE: At the beginning of the movie you can see the Kid's BB trying to follow me up. Look towards the right corner of the screen.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...31&postcount=1

Tony
May 06, 2007, 10:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
Looks like a 60" park flyer is already a reality - I'd love to see some pics and plans and power options.

Coming...
May 06, 2007, 10:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
OK I just cut one out and cut out the KF pieces also. To do the KF you are putting it on top without any bend ? = Flat bottom foil ?
I might do both wings. Also I can't read the diheadril numbers.
But not ready yet got fuselage to build. Back to basement.

Ken
Hey Ken! KFm is flat bottomed, step on top at 50%. Go ailerons, no dihedral and a little bigger motor and it should be a good aileron trainer too.

Regular wing dihedral is 1" on each tip (2" altogether)

Tony
May 06, 2007, 10:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hllrsr
".....The big AP bird flew nicely on an inexpensive BP21 and it now carries a ST Models 1000kv brushless for hauling around cameras......"

Personally, I'd run 3s direct or 2s geared, depending on whether or not it's on floats...

Go Tony go!! Another winner. You do realize, that now that you've been talked into posting another design, now it's expected that AT LEAST 1 a month gets posted???

ATB

Iain
Yes to the 3S w/brushless motor. It's a big bird.

One a month huh? If I did that I would never get to build or fly any of them. I do however, have a few more I designed over the winter and so there will be a few more the next cople of months. Stay tuned!

Tony

Quick Reply