Mar 09, 2008, 10:13 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
well the storm finished here in ottawa and we got snow banks over 12 - 15 feet high!!! and being snowed in i have been able to do some work on my BB and will be working on the wing
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2008, 10:16 PM
For the 42 inch BB what size control horn should I use?
Mar 09, 2008, 10:18 PM
Okay, ya'll been yapping so much about this Blubaby, I started to build my own today.
Building it same as original.

How you figure she will be with a GWS350 and a ni-mh battery?

Finally figured out the right way to peel the FFF without it shredding.
I remember lots saying to pull it up and away, but it always kept tearing into strips when I did it.
Now I lift it up at the edge closest to me, then while pulling it towards myself, lift it up at a 45* angle, while sliding my free hand forward between the film and the foam. Comes off in one nice piece now.
Mar 09, 2008, 10:23 PM
Foam does it all
But I am thinking to get the landing gear a little more solid I might want to get some thin plywood material at the LHS and gorilla glue a small plate to the bottom of my fuse and screw the landing gear to that. Is that a good idea? Is that standard? Has someone done some inventive landing gear of this type?[/QUOTE]

Give this a try, I did it on my "SSC" so I could change from LG to floats.
Phil
Mar 09, 2008, 10:30 PM
Foam does it all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Use them both, either will work with a simple change of prop. The 2s lightly propped to get your BB wrung out and when your ready, the 3s will really make it burn. Are you using the KFm wing or the UC wing?

Tony
Tony, I will be using the UC for now but I have read so much about the KFm I can't resist trying one as time permits. I just can't wait till the Ohio winter is a memory and I can fly some of what I am building.
Phil
Mar 09, 2008, 10:38 PM
"On the Wing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu
I'v been flying mine with a GWS300 A gearbox and an 8.4V 300mah NIMH battery, GWS 8043 slow flyer prop for 6 months. Slow, fast, loops, vertical, tail slides, inverted......

I get about 16 minutes flight time if just cruising.

Do it!
Mar 10, 2008, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low&Slow
Give this a try, I did it on my "SSC" so I could change from LG to floats.
Phil
Awesome! You inspired me. While looking at your setup I realized that it almost looked like you could connect the ruler to the fuselage with rubber bands.... then it made me think how even with a bit of a rough landing today there was no damage, because it was the link between landing gear and fuselage that broke.... so if I leave that connection as the weak link, then I probably will not get damage to either the landing gear or fuselage, because the connection will break first!

So I did something very similiar to your setup (I didn't have a ruler, but I had a piece of plastic that was very strong and about the right size and had some convenient tabs to wrap the rubber bands around. So here it is:
Mar 10, 2008, 12:46 AM

No typos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo810
I'v been flying mine with a GWS300 A gearbox and an 8.4V 300mah NIMH battery, GWS 8043 slow flyer prop for 6 months. Slow, fast, loops, vertical, tail slides, inverted......

I get about 16 minutes flight time if just cruising.

Do it!
OK, so I presume you INTENDED to say GWS 300 in response to HIS comment on a GWS 350?

What is your wingspan and AUW?

This is good news; I love it.

LarryR : )
Mar 10, 2008, 05:10 AM
Ken's CAD Models
I flew my first 33" BB on a GWS 350D setup with a Fiegao (not sure thats spelled right) 4225 Kv inrunner. Left it underpropped with 9x4.7 SF. Lots of potential.

Ken
Mar 10, 2008, 08:57 AM
Foam does it all
So I did something very similiar to your setup (I didn't have a ruler, but I had a piece of plastic that was very strong and about the right size and had some convenient tabs to wrap the rubber bands around. So here it is:[/QUOTE]

Just to clear up a point, that setup is not mine, I copied it from the "SSC" thread.

Phil
Mar 10, 2008, 12:36 PM

Can't see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low&Slow
So I did something very similiar to your setup (I didn't have a ruler, but I had a piece of plastic that was very strong and about the right size and had some convenient tabs to wrap the rubber bands around. So here it is:
Just to clear up a point, that setup is not mine, I copied it from the "SSC" thread.

Phil[/QUOTE]

Did you intend to show a photo, or paragraph, or.............. ???

Sounds like something good; hope to see it.

Mar 10, 2008, 12:41 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu
Okay, ya'll been yapping so much about this Blubaby, I started to build my own today.
Building it same as original.

Finally figured out the right way to peel the FFF without it shredding.
I remember lots saying to pull it up and away, but it always kept tearing into strips when I did it.
Now I lift it up at the edge closest to me, then while pulling it towards myself, lift it up at a 45* angle, while sliding my free hand forward between the film and the foam. Comes off in one nice piece now.
Xanadu, welcome to the thread. A 350 will easily fly the Blu-Baby. My kid flies his 42" BB on a 350 and it has enough power for a trainer.

Tony
Mar 10, 2008, 12:43 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LareeRudee

Phil

LarryR : )[/QUOTE]

I don't know why you guys just don't use the LG as designed. It's light, strong and doesn't tear out. Changing over to floats and skis involves removing two wheel collars.

Tony
Mar 10, 2008, 01:23 PM
The Dude Abides
Quote:

I don't know why you guys just don't use the LG as designed. It's light, strong and doesn't tear out. Changing over to floats and skis involves removing two wheel collars.

Tony[/QUOTE]

Agreed.
I have built several with interchangeable wheels/floats and all I do is remove two wheel collars. The floats have their own rear support gear that I rubber band to the bottom of the fuse with a few dowels glued into the appropriate places.

Oh No! Catastrophic Diaper Failure!
Gotta go......Beemus
Mar 10, 2008, 01:35 PM
Quote:

Tony[/QUOTE]

HEY ! I represent that. My first BB was the suitcase model that the gear had to be removeable. Bent a piece of plywood to curve of fuse. and put blind nuts on before glueing on. Liked it so well that # 2 was about the same. # 3 Is removeable also using drink cup in slot as per someone else. You won't beleive it but # 4 will be glued in. But not in stock location. HA ! I moved forward 1/2" and slight angle to help the CG thing with 39 gram motor. But youall should know by now I can't build like everybody else. Thats whats so great about Tony's BB. You can screw it up royaly and its still a fine little plane. Cheers

Ken

Quick Reply