** Blu-Baby Primary Trainer ** Plans, Pics and Fun! - Page 1356 - RC Groups
Apr 20, 2017, 04:36 PM
I meant to do that. Honest!
Hi gang! My spare time for nearly a week was taken up by a repair project on a balsa model. Glad to have that done. Then I needed to make a new UC wing for the club BB42UC. I did NOT want to do it the same way I made the first one so I came up with a better way. I made an adjustable bench top slip roller out of some leftover pieces of 3/4" and 1" steel conduit cut to 48" length. This thing works slicker than snot so I thought I would share it. Sorry I didn't take pics when I rolled the wing but I had a scrap turtle deck top I mis-cut when I built my Fokker DR1 so I took one of it in the roller. Kind of a small piece but you can get the idea of how it works. Just insert the panel between the rollers, press down with both hands, and roll towards yourself. The rollers can be adjusted for a large radius and roll the whole panel then adjust for a tighter radius to re-roll the leading 40% of the panel resulting in a 4-40 UC. It can also be adjusted in a taper to roll turtle decks or conical fuselage parts for EDF models and such but I haven't tried that yet. I might need to make a set of shorter rollers to make tapering more effective.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2017, 11:39 PM
I have one ARF and all the other 10 planes are ones I have built myself.
There is a lot of satisfaction in flying something you have made with your own hands.
Apr 21, 2017, 08:29 AM
Great tool James.
Thank you for sharing.
When I said that I have no interest in ARFs, I surely don't want to denigrate their value.
I looked very seriously at them when I restarted this hobby.
However I find the build process very satisfying.
Flying, if you will, is the desert after the main course.
(Hoping my future desert is sweet)
Apr 21, 2017, 10:17 AM
My sentiments exactly Scratch. I have no use for ARFs, RTFs, BNFs, or PNPs. They are fine for people who are not interested in building but I feel that building is 90% of the enjoyment in this hobby. I fly on Sunday mornings but I build all week. I LOVE to design and build my own models. I won't be building today though as it's my wedding anniversary so I BETTER be spending the day making my wife feel wonderful and special.

BTW, if anyone is interested in making one of those rollers I will draft some plans with dimensions and post them. I used my lathe to make the threaded steel plugs for the ends of the tubes but I realize that not everyone has a lathe. the plugs could just as easily be made out of wooden dowel and glued in place. Centering the threaded holes for the screws is easy on a lathe but may be difficult if done by hand but perfect centering is really not necessary. Some slight runout would make little difference in the rolled panels.

Another BTW, the large fender washers on the back roller are idler wheels and serve to lift the roller off the table. The back roller naturally rotates in the opposite direction of the front roller so it turns against the bench top and causes drag. the washers aren't absolutely necessary but they do make it easier and smoother to use the roller.
Last edited by JamesPotts; Apr 21, 2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: addendum
Apr 21, 2017, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE=Scratch99
.When I said that I have no interest in ARFs, I surely don't want to denigrate their value.
I looked very seriously at them when I restarted this hobby.
However I find the build process very satisfying.
I agree absolutely Scratch.
My only ARF was the first plane I bought when I decided I wanted to fly RC planes.
As a youth I built and flew control line models. I enjoy the building process too as much as flying them.
Apr 22, 2017, 06:48 AM
Jack
Here is a good thread for an everyday read, I have been subscribed to it for a long time...

homemade-ideas-for-cheap-and-or-free - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2562655

Jack
Apr 22, 2017, 07:03 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
I thought of that one too Jack. James, post that tool over there, Timbo will like that one.
Apr 22, 2017, 11:23 AM
I'll definitely have a look at that site sometime today. This morning I need to find and fix a coolant leak on my S10 pickup.

It's been too windy here to fly lately. We want to maiden the BB 42 KFm3 but we'll have to force ourselves to wait for calmer conditions. It's been ready to fly since Monday but it hasn't been painted yet. Gene will want to do that himself, he is very good with paint while I am much better at Monokote.
Apr 22, 2017, 04:12 PM
James - It might be a good idea to do a video of using your rollers as that would make it clearer how to use it.
Apr 22, 2017, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPotts
... This morning I need to find and fix a coolant leak on my S10 pickup..
Ugh, feel your pain. Got one on my Durango I can't seem to get fixed.
Apr 22, 2017, 05:06 PM
Thanks guys! I really like that thread. I've started at the beginning and plan to read it all. I've already picked up a few useful ideas but I don't read well so I'm not far into the thread. I will post a few ideas myself soon including the roller.

Yachtie, it will be difficult to make a video with my i-phone when it takes both hands to operate the roller. Perhaps I can get my wife to help with that.

Ruff, my leak was just the top radiator hose so it turned out to be an easy fix. Cost was nearly $50 though because I also needed some anti freeze.
Apr 30, 2017, 05:06 PM
We had a few hours of relatively light wind this morning and were finally able to maiden the BB 42 KFm3. It required only slight trimming and flew perfectly even though the breeze was @ 10 - 12 MPH and the air was a bit choppy. I'm quite impressed with the flight characteristics of the plane with that wing. I'm very happy with the BB 42 UC for trainer purposes but this one is surprisingly aerobatic yet docile and stable. Gene will finally have something he can feel comfortable and confident flying.
Apr 30, 2017, 08:27 PM
Good to hear. I went with the kfm2 right off after reading up and determining I needed something with a bit more wind penetration.
I still haven't put mine up since the CG issue was resolved. Maybe next weekend...
May 01, 2017, 08:55 AM
I do hope the recent windy conditions here in the South West end soon but the BB with the KFm3 penetrated yesterdays moderate wind remarkably well. The motor was quite noisy though so I thought it needed new bearings. Last night I changed them but that didn't help so I tightened up the end play. That did the trick but I don't know why, it was only @ .010" to begin with which is no more than most of the motors I have. Puzzling.

I started cutting out the parts for a Piranha yesterday. Got everything cut except the monoblock and canopy center section. I noticed the landing gear are not on the plans but it looks like BB 42 LG will work. I plan on using quad flaps on this and I might add side force generators to the wing tips.
May 01, 2017, 05:49 PM
What are side force generators?