Sep 09, 2008, 07:06 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Steve, I'd go along with MadDuc on the prop - try the 10x4.7 on 2 cells - it'll fly nice & floaty....

Cheers,
Frank
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2008, 08:02 AM
AKA Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernaught
... If the wind picks up I'll be building, in the sailboat or on my AG range.

Steve.

AG range??
Sep 09, 2008, 12:24 PM
Steve just my 2 cents on the prop size from what I have learned and a lot of this is my motor which isn,t the same one you will be using. I started with a 9x4.7 and it was good for 3 flights at which time it flew away and landed in an unknown location in the grass I switched to an 8x6 which fly's well but always seemed kinda sluggish for me. I then went to an 11x7 which gave me excellent power and short flight times I am very heavy on the throttle most of the time. I have some 10x6 props ordered after much research these appear to be the best all around prop (same thrust, lower Amp draw, higher Pitch speed) for my motor. Heads up RC had some great testing info on my motor. I'm not sure if they carry the motor you are going to use or not I'll include a link and you can check them out. so far the smaller props give me warmer batts on 2s packs ,1300mAh 2s 20c zippy packs, and a much hotter motor at the end of the flight where as the 11x7 seemed that everything came down warm all be it in a much shorter time span. that's what I have discovered at this point. my 42" BB I can drop down to almost 1/4 throttle and just float her around or jam the throttle wide open for nice tight barrell rolls and loops on the 11x7 on the 8x6 i can still slow her way down but only about 1/2 throttle and can still pull loops and barrel rolls shes no where near as fast but, she's a bit too fast with the 11x7 lol at WOT I cant get her trimmed out so have to stay on the sticks a bit to keep her in the air. if I drop the throttle a bit she fly's her self. all and all. she durable, agile, and one hell of a floater.

Heads Up RC

Hope that helps a little. that's just been my findings with my 42"

Keep flyin
Jon
Sep 09, 2008, 01:47 PM

Ken BB24 KFm3 Instructions

Ken

I put your instructions and photos for the BB24 KFm3 wing together in one PDF file, thanks a lot for them.

The URL to download it is:

http://www.4shared.com/file/62363804...tructions.html

Gino
Sep 09, 2008, 03:16 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1

Don't know if anyone else knows

but i heard that the Master and the Sensai if KFM were interviewed on RCFLIGHTCAST, that is right our Friend and Sensai Tony65x55 and the Master Dick Kline were on last mondays show Episode 22, site http://www.rcflightcast.com/ and direct link for the pod cast http://media.libsyn.com/media/rcflightcast/RCFC_22.mp3

enjoy
Sep 09, 2008, 04:36 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginodouglas
Ken

I put your instructions and photos for the BB24 KFm3 wing together in one PDF file, thanks a lot for them.

The URL to download it is:

http://www.4shared.com/file/62363804...tructions.html

Gino
Gino,

Thanks, but do you think you could post it here. Seems more direct.

Ken
Sep 09, 2008, 06:01 PM
Onward through the fog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
AG range??
"AG" = AirGun. I have 11 airguns ranging from PCP (PreCharged Penumatic) to pumpers to barrel cockers. Pistol and rifle; plinkers and olympic target. I set up a 25m range along side the house with a concrete wall backstop.

Propellers:
When the batteries get here, I'll try the 10x4.7. Thats the one that came with the original combo. I got a 19+ minute motor run, static, at half throttle, before burning up my Rhino 1050 2s battery, with that prop.

Today is "put all the parts I got yesterday together day", to make my foam cutting bow. 26" of SS leader on 12v pulls just over 2A and cuts nicely. With that working I can cut the wing and control surface angles accurately. My foam stock is 24" wide so it makes a good length.

So many hobbies. So little time. www.tranquilityisland.com

Steve.
Sep 09, 2008, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Gino,

Thanks, but do you think you could post it here. Seems more direct.

Ken

Ken

I thought we have a very low limit for uploads, like 40KB for photos, for PDF files and this one has 936KB.

Sorry for that

Gino
Sep 09, 2008, 08:01 PM
Onward through the fog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtitan
Steve just my 2 cents on the prop size from what I have learned and a lot of this is my motor which isn,t the same one you will be using. I started with a 9x4.7 and it was good for 3 flights at which time it flew away and landed in an unknown location in the grass I switched to an 8x6 which fly's well but always seemed kinda sluggish for me. I then went to an 11x7 which gave me excellent power and short flight times I am very heavy on the throttle most of the time. I have some 10x6 props ordered after much research these appear to be the best all around prop (same thrust, lower Amp draw, higher Pitch speed) for my motor. Heads up RC had some great testing info on my motor. I'm not sure if they carry the motor you are going to use or not I'll include a link and you can check them out. so far the smaller props give me warmer batts on 2s packs ,1300mAh 2s 20c zippy packs, and a much hotter motor at the end of the flight where as the 11x7 seemed that everything came down warm all be it in a much shorter time span. that's what I have discovered at this point. my 42" BB I can drop down to almost 1/4 throttle and just float her around or jam the throttle wide open for nice tight barrell rolls and loops on the 11x7 on the 8x6 i can still slow her way down but only about 1/2 throttle and can still pull loops and barrel rolls shes no where near as fast but, she's a bit too fast with the 11x7 lol at WOT I cant get her trimmed out so have to stay on the sticks a bit to keep her in the air. if I drop the throttle a bit she fly's her self. all and all. she durable, agile, and one hell of a floater.

Heads Up RC

Hope that helps a little. that's just been my findings with my 42"

Keep flyin
Jon
Now that's the kind of info that really helps. Thanks Jon.

Just want to say that this forum and THIS thread in particular has some of the friendliest most helpful people in the world of RC participating.
Thank you all,
Steve.
Sep 09, 2008, 08:25 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginodouglas
Ken

I thought we have a very low limit for uploads, like 40KB for photos, for PDF files and this one has 936KB.

Sorry for that

Gino
No problem Gino!

Thanks for posting it up here, and for putting it together. This forum is a great place with a great bunch of people.

Ken
Sep 09, 2008, 10:12 PM
have a brain buster question. my bb33 have a 24 grm hc motor,12a esc, 800mah batt been running this set up for awhile. did four flights this morning fine. went back this evening. gave half throttle fine, gave full throttle motor cut off. this happens intermittedly. things done to trouble shoot change esc, tried 620,800,1000 mah still happen now and then. put motor in another plane motor run okay. batt conn. are mini deans,esc have 2.0 gold conn,have checkk all solder joints. using dx7 and 6100 rcvr. any suggestions

thanks
gramps
Sep 09, 2008, 10:30 PM
treefinder
Was the esc you switched in also a 12 amp? perhaps the motor is pulling more amps than the esc likes? what brand is the esc? Did it pull full throttle the four flights this am? I have had motors act like that when for some reason the battery connector isn't fully inserted. (this with jst and sometimes they "hang up" about half way in, will run the servos, but motor will start but stop if throttle advanced - I'd be surprised to hear that with the minideans, tho)
Sep 09, 2008, 11:43 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-O
I still haven't heard from Bill about the Scale and Tile 3 program, so I have been playing around with Sketchup to try to get the parts drawn out. I do have a plan and managed to scale it down to a 33" wingspan. When I do the print preview, I see that it wants to print 20 pages and there are no margins on the pages (it tries to print right to the edge of the paper). Is there a good way to go from Sketchup to paper without wasting so much paper and getting the margins in there?
Daddy-O
You will have to be patient with Bill. He has allot of personal stuff going on right now. He will catch up eventually.

If you would like I could work with you to scale some plans for you to help your project along. It would take a few transfers but it would get things done. Just drop me a PM if I can help. I would be glad to do it to help out a fellow BB enthusiast.

I think I am going to play with Sketchup again. I am sure I can figure it out if I just spend some time on it.

Rob...
Sep 10, 2008, 12:12 AM
If it flies, I will crash it

Stupid is, is stupid does, LOL

I talked with the project manager for the job I am on today and he offered his warehouse to test fly my Front Yard Flier BB today. Sounds like a great idea huh. So I load up some stuff and off to work I go. At lunch I head of to the office for a check and a little flying. I get the plane out and turn on the TX only to find that I left the flight battery on my work bench 90 miles away. Talk about a big let down. An hour latter a truck showed up and filled up the warehouse. Bummer.

I didn't make any progress on the contest build tonight which is OK since I worked way to long and tired does not make for good BB building. I did manage to knock out a new power supply for my hot-wire cutter (see attached pic for snazzy PS). Tomorrow we make monoblocks and then we make us up a fuselage. I am on my way.

Rob...
Sep 10, 2008, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernaught
I have 12 - 8x4, 6 - 8x6, 1 - 10x4.7 on hand now and 2 - 9x3.7 coming. I was figuring on the 8x4 or 8x6 for this one. This is in with my order for 2 b21 combos, 3 13002s batts, 3 prop-savers and some small hardware. I may increase the wingspan to 45", polyhedral and shoot for around 4 to 5 oz per sq-ft. I may build several wings to see which I like best. I'm thinking Clark Y and KFm2 as well as the KFm3. Anyway I have plenty of time because the parts won't get here for about 10 days to 2 weeks.

How do you think the battery motor combo would work on a BB-33? Better than the 42/45? The electronics including battery will be around 170grams, 200 at the most and figuring the same for the plane with linkages would give me an all up weight of around 14oz. (400g)

I'm looking for a floater with good manners and around 20 min flying time on one charge assuming I keep a light thumb on the throttle. I was thinking I can have one batt in the plane and two on the charger. My initial flying will be in calm weather only until I get my thumbs back. If the wind picks up I'll be building, in the sailboat or on my AG range.

Steve.
I don't have experience with larger props on the BP yet since I only have one old 1100-2S ETEC that is not able to start up this motor. All other LiPo's are 3S. I just figured that with 2S you should be able to prop up a bit. But the answers above seem to have helped you out.

To float, build as light as possible!!! The BP's are around 50-55grams I believe, so for a BB33 it might be a bit heavy if you want to float.... but other flyers could probably better comment on this. If I where to build a light BB33 I would use: a 20-25gr. motor with light esc, 5gr servo's, max 800mAh LiPo, micro Rx, etc.

My BB42 was not build very light, but strong, hence the 450gr AUW, although I have seen reports here of BB33's with such an AUW.

Have fun putting everything together.....

Completely agree with your 'So many hobbies. So little time.' comment

Quick Reply