May 23, 2007, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
That's how I did mine. I cut a channel in the foam, ran the wiring and then covered it with a piece of black duct tape. It even looks good and lets you get at the wiring anytime you want.

When's the "maiden's" maiden?

Tony

Ok, good idea with the tape. Hard to say, we're getting her old house ready for market, so to there's not much time right now. ( I get up a bit early for work and spend a few minutes building. )
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2007, 12:01 AM
You deserve my opinion

Blu-Baby #3

If I grow up I want to be like Tony and Bob.

OK, here's my attempt to copy Bob's great graphics scheme. Clearly, Bob knows what he's doing and I'm trying to learn.

The paint scheme is Army, but after I finished it I just couldn't bring myself to put "Army" on my plane. Too many years with the Air Force. But the Air Force verison would be tough to see in the air, so I fudged.

I also put lights on this one. I like a nice stable plane for night flying and this one sure fills the bill.

Bob & Tony, thanks so much! Can't wait to get it back in the air!

Weight: 8.3 oz without battery
Motor: Hextronics KA20-50S (Hacker knock-off)
Prop: 9047
Rx: Corona 4-channel (with a 500' antenna!!!! Gotta try one of those shorties)
Battery: 2s 650mah & 2s 800mah
EPP fuse/Depron Wing & Tail Feathers

Hmmm...how about a 42"? Hmmm...
Last edited by FirstShirt; May 24, 2007 at 07:18 AM.
May 24, 2007, 07:34 AM
That's a great paintjob, FirstShirt. Sweet plane!

Jasta
May 24, 2007, 08:07 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Thread OP
Magnificent Pat, truly breathtaking!. When's the maiden flight?

The 42" Park model? Ahh, the Kid's special. I had a couple of requests for the 42" in DXF format, the DXF files are created, but the uploader on RC Groups say it's an invalid file type. If anyone want the DXF Files, please send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send them.

Tony
May 24, 2007, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Magnificent Pat, truly breathtaking!. When's the maiden flight?

The 42" Park model? Ahh, the Kid's special. I had a couple of requests for the 42" in DXF format, the DXF files are created, but the uploader on RC Groups say it's an invalid file type. If anyone want the DXF Files, please send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send them.

Tony
Tony, I've run into that myself. Zipping them up got around that problem. Info-Zip's WIZ is a free graphical front-end.
May 24, 2007, 08:23 AM
KZ RIDER
Hey FirstShirt
Where did you get your EPP?
Where is everybody getting their Hextronics motors and esc's at?
Ray

P.S. Is that tiny hook on top of the wing at the CG for balance or is it just for storage? hehehe smart idea
May 24, 2007, 08:54 AM
AMA 8614

Fantastic Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
If I grow up I want to be like Tony and Bob.

OK, here's my attempt to copy Bob's great graphics scheme. Clearly, Bob knows what he's doing and I'm trying to learn.

The paint scheme is Army, but after I finished it I just couldn't bring myself to put "Army" on my plane. Too many years with the Air Force. But the Air Force verison would be tough to see in the air, so I fudged.

I also put lights on this one. I like a nice stable plane for night flying and this one sure fills the bill.

Bob & Tony, thanks so much! Can't wait to get it back in the air!

Weight: 8.3 oz without battery
Motor: Hextronics KA20-50S (Hacker knock-off)
Prop: 9047
Rx: Corona 4-channel (with a 500' antenna!!!! Gotta try one of those shorties)
Battery: 2s 650mah & 2s 800mah
EPP fuse/Depron Wing & Tail Feathers

Hmmm...how about a 42"? Hmmm...
Whew.... Pat rules. Beautiful job Pat. What a great looking little plane. Now I'm thinking of a BB Birdog in OD camo colors. (After the P6-E)
May 24, 2007, 09:03 AM
You deserve my opinion
Wow, Guys, thanks for the kind remarks. I have to give Foamenator Bob credit for the looks. I don't think I would have tried this w/o his posting his first--and the help he gave us on the graphics.

Tony, I maidened the plane a few days ago. Just wanted to finish the graphics before I posted the pix. Flies great! Just like a BB!

Don't worry about posting a 42" plan for me. (When I mentioned the 42" I thought it was already posted.) I can just enlarge the plan I have and go with it when I'm ready to go larger.

Ray, The Hextronic gear comes from www.UnitedHobbies.com in Hong Kong. The prices are great, but be prepared to wait for 2-4 weeks for your order. Based on my experience, I'd say don't ever order anything that is not in stock. You could be waiting for a couple of months because they don't ship the order until everthing comes in.

I've been happy with the UH motors. The little blue 24gr is great. This Hacker knock-off seems great. I have had a lot of trouble with the ESCs, so I can't recommend those. I've also had good success with the hxt batteries and a balancing charger. You can return things if you have trouble, but it doesn't seem very practical shipping things back to HK.

My EPP comes from Sloper Steve at slofly.com. Steve is a great guy and the service is excellent. I think he is also carrying the hxt 24gr motors at a very reasonable price--and quick shipping.

The hook on the top of the wing is actually an anti-gravity sky hook coupler. After I landed my last BB in a tree I decided to install this to make it easier to retrieve my planes from the tall oaks we have in my neighborhood. When this one lands in a tree I just beam my sky hook down, connect to the AG sky hook coupler on the BB, and lower the plane to the ground. Works like a charm. I also use it to hang the plane for storage.
May 24, 2007, 09:06 AM
You deserve my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
Whew.... Pat rules. Beautiful job Pat. What a great looking little plane. Now I'm thinking of a BB Birdog in OD camo colors. (After the P6-E)
Sounds great! You decorate 'em and I'll copy 'em--or try!

Bob, didn't you say you had some time in a BD? Was that military?
May 24, 2007, 10:28 AM
AMA 8614
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Sounds great! You decorate 'em and I'll copy 'em--or try!

Bob, didn't you say you had some time in a BD? Was that military?
Pat... Yes I was in the US Army 61-64 at the Special Warfare Center, Ft. Bragg, NC. We had an aviation detachment with a L-19, a Helio Courier, a twin engine Caribou, and an old C-46.
May 24, 2007, 10:38 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Thread OP
OK then we'll try it zipped. Hey, it worked! Kdahlhaus, you're good. In the zipped folder are the BB Park (42") plans in DXF. Plans in Acrobat are already at the beginning of this thread.

Tony
May 24, 2007, 11:13 AM
Just downloaded the 42". Will start next week after the weekend trip with the family. Thanks Tony.

That's a beautiful paint job, Firstshirt. Mind if I copy it? I shall be putting the US Army on it, though...

There are so many generous folks here giving us all their nice plans. Thank you to all of you.

chewy
May 24, 2007, 04:55 PM
You deserve my opinion
Chewy,

Go for it. But I have to give credit to Foamenator Bob (and the US Army) for the paint job & graphics. You can see Bob's excellent work on earlier pages of this thread and his graphics suggestions on post #195. Please let us know how things go.

Pat
May 24, 2007, 05:22 PM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
I just stumbled onto this thread and am interested in building this plane. Since there are 17+ pages to this thread I thought I'd just ask a couple of questions. What exactly is a KFm wing? What and where are you getting the blue foam? What glue is required for this blue foam?

Thanks.
May 24, 2007, 06:01 PM
Good glue is evil
great paint job !

Quick Reply