Oct 23, 2002, 05:11 AM

Robbe Pitts S1

Hello! Is the Robbe Pitts a good plane? I am building one at the moment and it is much fun. I just wonder if it will be nice in the air. I plan to put in a LRK 350/20/12,5 (Flyware) with 10 1600-Cells. That should give enough power for *everything*...

Any experiences?

smoo
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2002, 04:02 PM
Smoo,
The Robbe Pitts is a nice model. Flys like the real one - a real hairy little beast!

Mine has an Aveox 1406/2Y geared 3.7:1, on 10 2400s, and 12x6 APC-E prop. Power around 300W.

Some pics are on

http://www.btinternet.com/~mark.frumtarn/pitts.htm
Oct 24, 2002, 02:34 PM
Thanks! Be careful with those APC E-Props. I heard today that they are not very good with higher RPM's. (which are not very high). If it sounds strange, I would change to some other Prop.

Is it easy to handle it on the ground? Is weight a problem?

smoo
Oct 26, 2002, 03:08 PM
Smoo,
Err, no on both counts. I've installed one of those small GWS Piezo gyros on the rudder to help with ground handling (& knife edges!).
Nov 21, 2003, 07:56 AM

about construction

Is this plane difficult to build?
Nov 21, 2003, 08:37 AM
I've built, flown and sold one of these models. It is a relatively easy build.

Mine was powered with Aveox 1406/2Y geared 3.7:1 with 10 RC2000 cells, essentially the same power system as in Mark's.

I didn't find any requirement to use a gyro on takeoff. I did replace the kit landing gear with one made out of 5/32" music wire. The kit landing gear appeared to be way to flexible IMO.

It was a relatively easy model to fly. Landing were a little quicker than most, but this can be attributed to the very thin (8%) airfoil. All in all, an honest flyer.

I ended up selling mine since it started gathering dust. Too many models, too little time I guess.
Last edited by JeffD; Nov 21, 2003 at 10:14 AM.
Nov 22, 2003, 12:57 PM
wich auw did you get with your Pitts?
Nov 25, 2003, 06:53 AM
Mark,

I have seen the pictures of your Pitts on your website: it really looks good, you have made areally nice Job.

On your film it seems like take off is quite difficult. Is it always like this? Or was it just a bad day? Maybe it is because the plane is a bit above the weight at 1kg700 grams.

I am really hesitating buying this kit because I want to have an aerobatic plane but not to twitchy, I mean not too difficult to handle.
Nov 25, 2003, 05:51 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Surfer, if itīs a scale aerobat youīr looking for, then pay Stevens Aeromodel a visit: http://www.stevensaero.com/ (I couldnīt access the page right now, but it was working yesterday, and Iīm sure it it will be up again soon).

His kits are marvelous lasercut, and goes together like a jigsaw-puzzle with interlocking parts. Despite teh ease of building them, they really look "scale". He has several to choose from, and will be coming out with a Ultimate Bipe which should be worth waiting for if a bipe is a must.

I am in the process of building his G-Ride (non-scale aerobatic plane) at the moment, and despite me not being a very keen builder (I like it, but am somewhat unpatient ) I am really enjoying the build so far.

Anders
Last edited by Zeroaltitude; Nov 25, 2003 at 05:54 PM.
Nov 28, 2003, 06:50 AM
Anders,

Thanks for the advice, but it seems like the stevensaero ultimate and maybe Pitts will never be ready and I prefer to build during winter.
Nov 28, 2003, 09:46 PM
Suspended Account
Smoo,
What and where did you hear that APC "E" props are prone to failure? True the "Slow Fly" prop is best left at low rpms and low power. The "E" prop at high rpms will hold up as well as "C2" hub that are used on internal combustion (IC) engines. Don't use an "E" on an IC engine, as it is not designed to handle the high cycle load that an IC engine imparts into a prop (i.e. bang coast coast bang etc.)

Konrad
PS. As for high rpms I use an 8x6 APC "E" prop at over 17K rpms on my FVK Champion and have been for over 2 years. This is a sport pylon racer.
Nov 29, 2003, 02:56 PM

about pitts wing profile

Smoo,

or someone else who could answer:

Is the wing profile of Robbe Pitts flat bottom, or is it semi-symetrical? looking at pics I suspect it to be flat, and if it is would this plane be really aerobatic?
Nov 29, 2003, 03:10 PM
By the way Smoo, if you have some pics to share about your pitts construction, it would be cool...
Nov 29, 2003, 03:28 PM
Anders,
I always found the ground handling on the Pitts twitchy, thats why I used a gyro on the rudder to try and help. The take off on the video was probably too early, and leaving the model to run longer and build up speed helps with stablising the initial climb out.
Nov 29, 2003, 08:07 PM
Suspended Account
Flat bottom with Philips entry.

Quick Reply