Mar 18, 2008, 02:34 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
Another great show guys!

It was cool to hear there are that many categories for flying events!
I will be flying in my first pattern contest this summer!

BTW, what are the chance of doing a video(both from ground and aerial) and getting Fred Midgett to come on? I am sure he would like to talk to us about upcoming events he will be videoing, equipment he uses to do his videos, etc.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2008, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoysToys
This is what happened to me! After all the talk about planes I went out and built a slow stick. I have been flying helis for a year and this is my first plane. I built it to play with while waiting for my T-Rex 500 batteries to recharge. The SS fit the bill just fine and I am actually have quite a bit a fun with it...
Yup me too...all that talk about the slowstick in episode 19...i finally had to go buy one.In fact I flew it just this morning before work
I am always amazed at how funny it is (since I started with a blade cp, then t-rex 450, and now King2) when i get out there to fly the ss, i am filled with anxiety like i am gonna have to be 'on' the whole time as one must be to keep a heli in flight. But then i realize, "oh, this thing just stays in the air"! And i exhale and just smile. Nothing against helis at all, i love mine...it just that flying the ss is more of a pleasure than i thought it would be. Thanks for the recommendation guys and keep up the good work!
Best,
Ed
Mar 18, 2008, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
Delete it and re-add the feed. It works fine still, but once in a while feeds do that in itunes from time to time (your cache)

Hi

Sorry, but it dont work, im trying to access the feed (URL from ATTF homepage) via webbrowser and there is no connection http://insideheli.libsyn.com/rss

Is that the correct URL?

regards Anders
Mar 18, 2008, 05:09 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Thread OP
That's it. Works fine still.
Go into iTunes (if that's the end goal) and just search for us in the store.

or if it's a browser issue, run ccleaner and don't be using IE.
Try using an rss reader such as sage for firefox or juice. This may get around a proxy if you have one.

If there are still issues, post a screenshot so I can see.
Mar 18, 2008, 05:51 PM
After going to http://www.allthingsthatfly.com, I downloaded the actual RSS file at http://insideheli.libsyn.com/rss and checked its contents. I loaded up the first link to the latest show referenced, http://insideheli.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=318723#

This takes me to a page that says:
Please go to our new site
http://www.allthingsthatfly.com

After seeing that for a couple seconds, the page redirects to the URL:
http://www.allthingsthatfly.com/

Which is probably confusing some readers.
Mar 18, 2008, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
That's it. Works fine still.
Go into iTunes (if that's the end goal) and just search for us in the store.

or if it's a browser issue, run ccleaner and don't be using IE.
Try using an rss reader such as sage for firefox or juice. This may get around a proxy if you have one.

If there are still issues, post a screenshot so I can see.
Okey.. its a DNS issue, I can't resolv any .libsyn.com hosts, not www or insideheli. Three other friends here in Sweden have the same DNS problem... they can't access the URL, using three different ISP.

Anders
Mar 18, 2008, 06:00 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Thread OP
Yeah, that has happened to libsyn before. Where a section of IPs gets blocked.. bah.
I'll make them aware if they are not already.

iTunes would work or should work however. Because the only dns your resolving would be apple at that point. (I know, not everybody likes itunes).
Or use an onion (tor) for just a bit.
:/

Other people do syndicate as well. Check out the alley and use the player (listen) on their site.
Last edited by GFBurke; Mar 18, 2008 at 06:05 PM.
Mar 18, 2008, 09:34 PM
Ook!
That new mic makes you sound sober, Jamie!
Mar 18, 2008, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaffen
ROFLOLOL!

-Chris
Mar 18, 2008, 10:21 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Quote:
He was just out of beer this week

Diggs
Mar 18, 2008, 10:37 PM
Quote:
I'll bet he was wearing those floppy eared bunny rabbit slippers with the big EYES that roll around too

-Dave
Mar 18, 2008, 11:07 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Thread OP
lol. Ooo, you just wait. I'll show that mic a thing or two.
Mar 19, 2008, 03:24 PM
Got more toys than my kid
Just finished the latest Podcast! The random humor was first rate. And now....the Comments of Macr0t0r!

1. The "burning" question of brushed versus brushless ESC. Yes, the King V2 has had issues because they switched from a shaft-drive to the more power-consuming belt-drive without upgrading the motor and ESC. Since a brushless ESC requires "smarts" to work, almost all of them have a built-in current limiter. They just reduce throttle when things get to rough. A brushed ESC is much simpler with a basic decoder and a row of mosfets. If you push it too hard without using a fuse, then the ESC will just continue to do it's thing until it....can't...do it's thing anymore!

2. Blade-400 mini-review. For the money, it is an AWESOME heli. Not quite as good as a T-Rex, but you won't really notice much difference until you become a seasoned pilot anyways. The DX6i is a surprisingly capable Spektrum radio. The interface isn't as slick as the DX7, but most of the functionality is still there. I don't own one, but there were 2 of them flying around at the last heli fly, and my dad got to try them out. It's a good buy. Don't buy the bling, though. It seems the bling doesn't work as smoothly as the stock plastic.

3. Diggs: You're wondering why your Spektrum system failed you during your last flight, and you had a theory about a Black Hole. There is no Black Hole. The REAL source of trouble is when you said to yourself, "I think I'll have one last flight before I call it a day." Are you NUTS? Every seasoned pilot knows you don't declare a flight as the "last flight" until AFTER YOU LAND. Then you say, "I think I'll call that the last flight." This wisdom is as commonly understood as, "Don't test-fly a good-looking plane that you just spent months building until you've taken sufficient photographs." Un-documented works of art are guaranteed to self-destruct on the first flight.

4. Jamie: "I think control-line was before my time." Oh, you little..... For making me feel old, I'm going to make sure my coffee donation goes ONLY to Chris and Diggs. CONTROL-LINE, man! That use to be the standard pre-cursor to RC. My parents use to keep 2 extra mailboxes as backups because I always seemed to drift towards it while flying one of my half-dozen cox plastic warbirds. Fun times!

5. Chris: The heli drag-racing is pretty cool. However, I once witnessed a T-Rex Pylon race! Witnessed...not joined. I'm not NEARLY as gutsy as those guys were. I'm still mystified as to how they did a full day of racing without a collision!

6. AMA and safety stuff: The AMA talk is mostly in that "other" RC forum site, and the talk can get a little emotional at times. AMA has had a difficult time since 9/11 to be friends with both the FAA and it's flying members. The word "compromise" just doesn't quite cover it. As mentioned in a previous podcast, the FAA pretty much has the stance that ANY and ALL UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) are illegal unless it has a waiver. AMA has worked a deal that vehicles within the AMA requirements that are flown using AMA's guidelines are currently not a "UAV," but just a hobby or toy.

Somewhat recently at an FAA hearing, a group of people from an un-named company who are trying to get their UAV cleared for general commercial use (so they can make money), brought in a massive RC plane that barely fit within AMA requirements. They then demanded to the FAA that "this thing weighs over 80 pounds and goes over 180MPH, yet requires NO clearance from FAA to fly!" Needless to say, AMA representatives had to jump in to explain that said aircraft flies strictly by line of sight in a cleared area, while this company wants their UAV to fly autonomously (computers are reliable, right?) over busy streets and residences.

It's an ugly situation. Lately, as cities have become more litigious and cautious, they've started to post signs at Parks that RC flying is not permitted. A bit frustrating considering many of our parkflyers will do less damage than a baseball. AMA has responded with a Parkflyer membership and a club-packet to help a group of pilots negotiate flying rights with the city.

Anyhow, sorry for the monologue. I've been a member for over 20 years (AMA 119219), so I guess I'm a bit of a fanboy.

So, on a lighter note: What else will Twitter be used for besides notifying me of cats on laps?

- Jim
Mar 19, 2008, 03:56 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Thread OP
lol.

Honestly I don't think those where before my time.. I just didn't notice.
So AMA must be pretty good if you've been paying them for that many years.. most people don't pay one cable company that long.

Thanks man!
Mar 19, 2008, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0t0r
So, on a lighter note: What else will Twitter be used for besides notifying me of cats on laps?

- Jim
LOL! Beats me, Jim. I don't really even understand what Twitter is, so I was just messing around with it. (For the record, the cat is no longer on the lap.)

-Chris

Quick Reply