Castle Creations Kestrel Foamy- Looks Cool! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 01, 2007, 09:44 PM
You land foamies?!
Discussion

Castle Creations Kestrel Foamy- Looks Cool!

Wow, I didn't know they made planes!

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...my-md-rcg.html

Looks cool, and very well built. AND, they have a great mother's day deal!

Anybody else?
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2007, 12:51 AM
Saw one at SEFF. Looks to be a great match-up with our brushless CDR motors! Everything made in America, too... including our motors !

Randy
Model Airplane Engineering
www.m-a-e.com
May 03, 2007, 01:05 AM
Give me all the meats!
This is great to see.
Last year at ETOC (or was it JR's E-Fest?) I saw a nice foamy from Castle, plastered with their decals and all. I spoke with a rep who told me that at that time they didn't have any plans on producing the aircraft.

It's nice to see now that they're getting around to doing it!! Can't wait to order mine!!
May 03, 2007, 06:12 AM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
I've got one, have about 20 flights on it now, like it more each flight. Does some of the nicest flat turns I've ever been able to do, both upright and inverted. It's a Jeremy Chinn Kestral, sold by Castle, but produced by Mike Glass. Innovative 3 piece 2 ml depron fuselage, with the center layer routed (actually laser cut) out for lightness. I'm running mine with 4 Hitec 55's, AR6100 receiver, TP 480 pack and MPJet 22/7-45 with an APC 8 x 3.8 prop. Flying weight is 7.9oz.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
May 03, 2007, 12:56 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer11
Everything made in America, too... !
Amen bro! I'll buy one!

I saw AC flying a TBK (ThunderBird Kestrel) and it looked great.
I've only tried it on my G3.5. If it flies anything like that, I'll buy 2.
May 03, 2007, 03:11 PM
You land foamies?!
Yeah, MADE IN U.S.A. is the selling point for me...
May 03, 2007, 08:52 PM
Hollywood, I flew it in the E-X Games last year and in the Memphis Pyramid Indoor as well as several other 3D Freestyle competitions.

Azarr, I'm glad you're enjoying yours : )

It actually was originally designed for CD Rom motors, however the small Hackers, HiMaxx's and Axis all do well with it.

Here is a vid of me flying a production cut kit- just flying around, nothing special.... I hope ya'll like it.

http://www.theprofilebrotherhood.com...rbirdFoamy.wmv
May 03, 2007, 09:33 PM
Give me all the meats!
The video was awesome!!
May 03, 2007, 09:38 PM
Trons and Fumes
I am really interested in this little bird! I got it for the G3.5, and if it flies like that, even I can probably fly it! The website is a little sketchy. Does anyone know what all else a person has to get beyond the included ESC and RX?

I would assume motor, and servos, but there is so little info on the site.
May 03, 2007, 11:17 PM
Wrightme, it comes with good hardware, so you'll need glue(foamsafe CA), hingetape of choice, servos, batts, batt connectors, motor and prop. Mike (the person doing the manufacturing) does a great job with hardware in his kits.
May 03, 2007, 11:38 PM
Trons and Fumes
I was looking at the recommended AXI motor at HL, and note that they have a version with the hollow shaft! I wonder if this little bird would hold enough elecs to run variable pitch.....

I just got done watching that video, looks like a blast! In the sim, it flies very forgiving. I last tried RC planes about 1992, and quit when my Falcon 56 went straight in due to PE.
May 03, 2007, 11:41 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRoll-91
Yeah, MADE IN U.S.A. is the selling point for me...
Here-here, bro!

Ok, if the TBK does rolling loops like in that video, I'll buy 10. LOL
Matchless- awesome flying as usual. Your skills are sharp! Oh yeah, what prop are ya turning? Can you give us the AUW as well?

True that. I can vouch for the hardware, top notch.
May 04, 2007, 12:16 AM
Trons and Fumes
Anyone know how much of a servo the controls take? 5-7-9 in-oz or more?
May 04, 2007, 12:32 AM
Lets see....

On the Axi 2204-54, I run the APC 8x3.8 and get plenty of oomph. The kit finishes out pretty easily at 7-8ozs with the recommended gear.

As for servos, I like powerful servos on this one, so my favorite is the Futaba 3114. The servo pockets in the kit are cut for them. HS55's will fit the pockets also. GWS Picos will also do the job but will take a little shimming to fit.

I'm sure it would be fine with VPP, but I've never run it on the bird before. I know it has enough wing area to support the gear, I've just never run it.
May 04, 2007, 07:24 AM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchlessaero

Azarr, I'm glad you're enjoying yours : )
I now have two of them, the unprinted original prototype (thanks Mike ) and the printed Castle version. It really is a great foamie. Tried to fly it again last night, but the winds were gusting to 26 so I didn't get any more flights on it. I did chuck the wheel pants and change the wheels to the small HiMaxx foam wheels, the wheel pants and small plastic wheels worked fine indoors, but became a problem in our grass field.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com