Jan 27, 2015, 01:46 PM
Sussex, UK
> Any thoughts on what we should use on the 150s?

I used 6mm depron on my 150% (60") and am very happy with it. It flies like a light-weight and will climb vertically.

Bluecore would probably be just as good, but depron is easier to find in the UK.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2015, 07:58 AM
Your trash, my treasure
i have a question, and i am a big dummy again, so th need for the question. I accidentally bought reverse props so i used it on one side and regualar on the other (flew great). Do i need this? i only used it cause i bought them accidentally, but now i crashed, and dont have any left. I have a ton of regular props. Me being dumb is cause i upgraded my tx and didnt know what the bottom of the low voltage would be, i found out and broke my plane. boohoo. i fixed it already. i really like the dtfb and poly, easy to fix. just needs some paint to get it right again
Jan 29, 2015, 11:18 AM
Diver-driver
Thread OP
I never had counter rotating props and also never had any trouble without. Maybe will need a couple of clicks rudder trim to fly straight with same props
Jan 29, 2015, 11:43 AM
Your trash, my treasure
ok sweet. here is glued together and new paper, and after. really durable stuff
Jan 31, 2015, 01:11 PM
Sussex, UK
Contra-rotating props aren't necessary once you're in the air (I can't tell the difference) but they do make a big difference on the water, or taking off from wet grass. With both props turning the same way the torque will tip the plane to one side, and one wing tip will dig in.
Jan 31, 2015, 02:16 PM
Diver-driver
Thread OP
All my Puddles had same rotation props and the beauty of the design is having very generous tip floats and with those I never had any trouble neither maneuvering nor digging in under power, in fact one could use full rudder when on step to drop be around like a speed boat and the tip floats never dug in. That's why I didn't like the "ski" design of that commercial puddle knockoff a few posts back.
Feb 13, 2015, 02:06 AM

29 7/8" Puddle Twin

I printed out and cut out the parts for a 29 7/8" Puddle Twin. The wing is ready for the installation of the motor mounts. I am incorporating most of the updates recommended by Dieter W on RCLineForum.de.
Last edited by Michael763; Feb 13, 2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Updated
Jul 18, 2015, 02:34 AM
Michael: how is the progress on your twin?

PT2 flight update: flying in the sunset with a calm headwind, treeline in my back, so crosswind passes to avoid the plane-eating trees.

(3 min 20 sec)
Jul 18, 2015, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak68
Michael: how is the progress on your twin?

PT2 flight update: flying in the sunset with a calm headwind, treeline in my back, so crosswind passes to avoid the plane-eating trees.
AK68,

Awesome video of your Puddle Twin. Your Puddle Twin looks great.

My Puddle Twin has been waiting for a while on the back burner. However, it is ready for the plastic or fiberglass reinforcement on the bottom, servos, motors, and motor mounts to be installed. I received the motors in the mail last week. After that it will be time for some color and flight.
Jul 31, 2015, 04:22 AM
Really beautiful AK68!

You won't believe it, but my PT2 project is still alive....

Had some real mechanical challenges with the main landing gear. So the PT went in the storage for a while. But the issues with the main LG are solved now.

Last week I did some water taxi runs. I was able to "drive" into the water retract the LG, taxi in the water, and "drive" back on the shore.

I had again water in the forward hull. After this session I further increased the bulkhead hight and made splash covers inside. I also added spray rails under the nose. The rear hull is wet. So water can come in, but runs out immediately when it rises out of the water.

Over time I discussed the progress with AK68, and I thank him for sharing his ideas and hints from his experience with his PT.

BTW, yes it's heavy... But the bird has flown already from both water and hard surface. And it doesn't seem to suffer from the weight. OK it has higher speed, but it seems to still fly quite efficiently.
Jul 31, 2015, 07:36 AM
Video:

PuddleTwin2XL Taxi tests (3 min 4 sec)
Jul 31, 2015, 01:06 PM
Name: vlcsnap-2015-07-25-23h33m34s70.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 415.5 KB
Description: Awesome Mavlo! Crisp, clean, straight, neat. All options causing serious waves.
Magic disappearance at 1:54. Clever work.

Looking forward to see yours side by side. Maybe one day... Mine has no options and is 460 grams incl battery. Vive la difference.
Last edited by ak68; Aug 01, 2015 at 02:56 AM. Reason: adding picture
Aug 01, 2015, 01:29 AM
Mavlo, That looks really awesome.
Aug 01, 2015, 08:42 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Mavlo,

A very incredible job you did. That was truly an amazing engineering feat with the retractable gear...

Best Regards,

Mark R.

old_coastie
Latest blog entry: Nall or Bust But SEFF First
Aug 01, 2015, 02:25 PM
Diver-driver
Thread OP
Mavlo you hereby take the title of puddle engineer extra ordinary! That's got to be the most elaborate landing gear and yet it works perfectly !! Outstanding job

Quick Reply