Oct 20, 2002, 03:43 PM
Thread OP

List your Cargo Plane mods.+pics.

I`m putting together the multiplex CARGO Plane soon.
I have read somethings to do,like down thrust to the motors.
But what other Mods. to this Cargo plane should be done when building??
TIPS?

**Also show your "pics." of your Cargo Plane and what you used to cover it,I`m looking for ideas!!**
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2002, 04:13 PM
My advice would be to NOT add the downthrust, the plane will climb no matter what you do, I added too much and it climbs even worse. Balance it a little forward of the CG, and I just trim the elevator down a bit to keep the power climb under control. I used a HS-81 for the rudder/tailwheel and a HS-55 for the elevator, try to save some weight in the tail as it will be tail heavy. Carve out the nose so you can move the battery forward, you still may have to add more weight to get it to balance. I also ditched the stock plastic wheels for foamies and it made a huge differance, the plastic wheels tend to skid on asphalt, foamies stick like glue. I flew my cargo more than any other plane this year, I love flying it! In its B-17 conversion it really draws a crowd, and EVERYTHING stops when it flies. Guys get mad when they're flying and I dont tell them Im taking off. Dropping parachute guys is such a blast! I also drop small foam gliders, tissue paper/flour bombs and those little white "snapper' things that you throw on the ground and they "snap". Cluster munitions..gotta love it! Ive managed to even cause a minor car accident from the gawkers!
Check out this site for some great mods, mostly in French though....
http://bungymania.inexos.net/index.php
Oct 20, 2002, 04:14 PM
Another....Parachute guys and glider, I can get 2 jumpers and a glider in the bay.....barely....
Oct 20, 2002, 04:18 PM
Last one.....enjoy your Cargo!

Chris
Oct 20, 2002, 04:23 PM
Oh, I forgot one thing, I ended up putting a CF tube inside of the plastic spar, mine started to snap right in the middle, it might be a good idea to look into that.......

Chris
Oct 20, 2002, 04:51 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
A friend of mine has one. We decided to try changing the incidence of the horizontal stab since the power vs. trim change was horrible.

He cut the stab off and shimmed the LE up about 1/8". The improvement is huge. It only takes a tiny bit of down under full power now and the elevator is still in trim under glide. I'd say they made a mistake that should have been corrected before molding. Oh well.

BTW, we fly his with CAM 6 x 3 folders and 15 x 2000 nimh. Climbs well and flies 8 minutes easily.

Steve C
Oct 20, 2002, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
VERY NICE Cargo(B-17) "bozmonster".
The B-17 look seems to be the way to go!
What kind of paint did you use?
What size batt. pack are you using,and how much foam did you move from the nose area to get the CG right?
It seems that this plane needs to be very nose heavy,right??
Also, what did you use for motor covers and what you used to install them?
Thanks all.

*Keep posting your Mods. and Pics. please!!*
Oct 20, 2002, 10:43 PM
Here's mine. Made a bunch of vacuum formed parts, a little sanding, everything else is stock. Flies great.
Steve
Oct 20, 2002, 10:48 PM
another
Oct 20, 2002, 11:49 PM
Thanks speedo! I used Testors spray paint for the whole thing. Olive Drab, Red, Ghost Grey for the bottom, 2 coats, and a little thinned light spackle on the rough parts where I had to carve. Turrets are shaped from balsa, with toothpick gun barrels. The cowls are from some juice/water bottle bottoms, just glued them in place. As far as batteries go Im using a 8 cell cp1700 pack which is a bit small, but was all I could afford, I got a great deal on them. I have tried 2400's and 3000 Nimh and got some decent flight times. Cp1700's get pretty hot as you can imagine powering 4 motors, I get about 4 min flight time. Great Planes 50 amp esc with standard Gunther props painted. I had to carve out as much foam as possible in the nose to get it to balance. She does like to be a little nose heavy.
Oh yea...one more piece of advice.....dont hit any dumpsters......
Chris
Last edited by bozmonster; Oct 20, 2002 at 11:54 PM.
Oct 21, 2002, 11:24 AM
Lithium Member
Mods discussed here also inc flight video:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...o&pagenumber=1
Oct 21, 2002, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info.!
Sorry to hear about your Cargo "bozmonster",
you going to try to repair it??

Who else has to make the Cargo more nose heavy and what size batt. pack are you using?

**** MORE PIC`s. of your Cargo`s! ****
Oct 21, 2002, 05:10 PM

Cargo conversion

Are the four motors wired in series? Does one BEC control all four motors?
Oct 21, 2002, 05:47 PM
Those are both really cool looking Cargo's. I think the stock one's look pretty fruity. Or at least the one on the box with the balloons and bright decals.
Of course I've heard a few people complain about it wanting to climb so much, but when you consider it's designed to be able to carry up to 1 lb of cargo then empty it should want to climb a lot.
Oct 21, 2002, 06:11 PM
Here's mine

Quick Reply