Dec 10, 2018, 01:41 AM
If you are building the full 30 inch version someone mentioned 11.25 in. but never got a response. It looks about right to me. I would build it up, not add any electrics, tape the elevons level, put a little weight in the nose to balance at 11 in. Then give it some low test glides over grass. What you want is a slight nose heavy glide. It should gradually nose in. It should not glide for a long time and land flat. Find the balance point, move it up 1/2 inch and that's a starting point. A little bit of up elevator trim on the first launch cant hurt either. I built a small one of these (not exactly to plans but close) some time ago and it was a nice flyer.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2018, 05:13 PM
Looks really nice!
I'm starting one myself, about where is the CG?
Dec 10, 2018, 11:36 PM
The CG is probably close to 11.25 inches from the nose to start (on the 30 inch build), but since there was no definite answer I would try the above steps in post #451 before you decide on a starting point. Best of luck.
Dec 11, 2018, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the help guys!
Feb 12, 2020, 08:30 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Hmm have some tiled plans for this floating around, just saw the full sheet set.

Looking for opinions on whether this would be useful for the fly in I have coming up. In a friend of mine's backyard we're all camping under the trees around the perimeter of his property. It's a little tight, we fly UMX Timber and Radians there, the occasional Fenix , and some of our super skilled guys fly 32" leadfeather Yak 55 type profiles in the space. So there's room but not a ton.

I have a handful of planes to fly there, but some of the guys bring paintball guns, I'd like to build something that goes together super fast, can fly slow and agile in the space, but can take some paintball abuse. Not sure if the cutlass does it, but possible. I have about every type of foam available, from DTFB to EPP to fanfold to Model Plane Foam.

Thoughts?
Feb 12, 2020, 04:25 PM

Cutlass video

Is this small enough space?

http://www.acesim.com/rc/jsf/jsf-ipsclose.mov

more vids here and mini version at bottom:

http://www.acesim.com/rc/jsf/jsf.html
Feb 12, 2020, 08:22 PM
flyin' fool
Check out post 439 and tallflyer's video that shows close-in flying.
Last edited by goldguy; Feb 12, 2020 at 08:28 PM.
Feb 12, 2020, 08:30 PM
flyin' fool
Nice to see this wonderful super simple great little flyer pop up again.

Hummm? Where did I put my scrap EPP and that 1306 motor.
Last edited by goldguy; Feb 14, 2020 at 01:22 AM.

Quick Reply