Apr 21, 2007, 11:25 AM
Discussion

Slo Flying Object

Thread for Slofly SFO
Video: http://www.slofly.com/videos/lab/sfo.wmv
Last edited by sloper steve; Apr 21, 2007 at 07:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2007, 11:48 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloper steve
Thread for Slofly SFO

Coming: close up photos
You probably already know this: "SFO" already makes me think of flying: it is the airport code for San Francisco.
Apr 21, 2007, 12:12 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Cool design Steve

I've put a few more photos of my scratchbuilt SFO below. I've got a 7060SF prop on at the moment to test on 2S. What do you recommend for the COG to begin with Steve?

Thanks,

Si.
Apr 21, 2007, 12:15 PM
Krued Up
Oh, ,must build.not again,like i don't have enough around here
Apr 21, 2007, 12:25 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Steve , I see you have a mini KF strip or bumper in the front ...On my EPP UFO we made a kf wing by gluing on a sheet of 6mm to 40% on the bottom , and didn't need any bracing at all ... You could do the same here... or I could I see you have the best of all worlds , a Lar ,rounded front end,"cranked" wing ...Great design !!!
Apr 21, 2007, 12:32 PM
WOW--- that thing can haul buns!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 21, 2007, 02:46 PM
snolord1, it appears that firetrappe's model has an outline that resembles "The Dark Lord's" helmet! I was wondering if anyone else sees this but me... Call me crazy...

Robert
Apr 21, 2007, 04:09 PM
Sticks & Stones
Steve,

You have got my full attention and name on the waiting list for testing phase II. Best looking trainer I have seen.

STRICK
Apr 21, 2007, 06:31 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
GPW, I like the KF idea, the extra thickness would also help to protect the motor during landings.

I'm not sure how close mine is to Steve's dimension wise (i just drew plans from the photos he posted), but these are my specs :

Length : 24" (nose to end of elevons)
Width : 19.5" at widest point
Motor : 24g Blue Wonder
Prop : 7060sf
Batt : TP 2S740
AUW : 158g (5.6oz)
Thrust @ WOT : 202g (7.1oz)

We've had 15mph winds today, so not had chance to give it a proper fly yet. I did do a quick test in the backyard though when the wind dropped and it flew straight as an arrow and REALLY floats!

Si.
Apr 21, 2007, 07:01 PM
Photos updated on the first post.
The two top parts were lowered and it has better performance.
Apr 21, 2007, 07:29 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Quote:
Originally Posted by willin
snolord1, it appears that firetrappe's model has an outline that resembles "The Dark Lord's" helmet! I was wondering if anyone else sees this but me... Call me crazy...

Robert
I can see the resemblence, I shoulda cut one from black EPP. Maybe I could spay the bottom black so it has a 'dark side' (sorry, that was bad ). When I look at the bottom it reminds me of one of the ghosts from Pac-Man... Maybe we're both crazy?

Si.
Apr 21, 2007, 08:49 PM
John 3:16
I would like one of these too! Looks like you really have something there! I just hope to get it here also!
Daddy-O
Apr 21, 2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks!

Here is a link to additional photos posted at rcg on the why aren't you building with epp thread.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...77#post7306930
Apr 21, 2007, 09:23 PM
firetrappe,
How did you form the curves (line to cut) on the EPP?
By Eye? Giant printout ?
Apr 21, 2007, 09:41 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Steve , I see you have a mini KF strip or bumper in the front ...On my EPP UFO we made a kf wing by gluing on a sheet of 6mm to 40% on the bottom , and didn't need any bracing at all ... You could do the same here... or I could I see you have the best of all worlds , a Lar ,rounded front end,"cranked" wing ...Great design !!!
Pardon my newbie-ness:
what is "kf" - carbon fiber?
what is a "lar" and a "cranked" wing?

Thanks.