This thread is privately moderated by Fast Freddy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 21, 2007, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

FLying Boats

Hi Everyone!
It's coming...the sweet taste and smell of retirement! I can now see clearly the light at the end of the tunnel. WO0HOO! June 8 is my last day of teaching orchestra at West H.S., Madison, WI. I'm 66 and a lot of time is going to open up for me come late August when..... I DON'T HAVE TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL ANYMORE! Awesome, jump for joy!

I live in Madison, WI which is surrounded by 5 lakes. Most of my flying is with flying boats. Lake Wingra is 2 minutes away, a hop, skip and a jump from my house. This makes flying very convenient with no travel time and little storage issues: the car stays ready with airplanes packed in the back.

I tend to build and fly during flying season and here's the build / repair schedule:

1. I'm currently building a Bellanca Cruisemaster, Dennis Sumner. Beautiful lines on this art-deco airplane. Should be wrapping it up in the next 1-2 weeks. Hindsight 20/20....If I build this airplane again, I'd spray paint it instead of covering it. My covering technique is, how shall I say it..."Leaves a bit to be desired". Looks great from 36", but get in close and it has much "texture/wrinkles." I call it "the organic look". Cannot seem to master the covering technique as I don't do it enough. The cowl looks as if it has a disease, LOL. This is where I lost patience, went to Home Depot, had them color match the covering and bought 2 samples of white and orange, the overall color scheme. If I get tired of looking at the sick cowl, I'll strip the covering and spray it. Oh well, I build my airplanes to fly em, not stare at em. By the way the 2 samples I purchased for $10 is enough paint to spray paint this entire model with left over paint to spare for touch ups.

2. Upgrade motors in 96" Grumman Goose, Park Scale Models, as it lacks power on water take-offs. Beautiful airplane that was spray painted in classic U.S. Coast Guard scheme. Check out my build thread.

3. Grumman Goose, Flying Dutchmen, (Bart) Cat knocked airplane off bench, tail feathers snapped clean at vertical stabilizer base. Should be an easy fix. This is a fully amphibious airplane and there's a build thread also.

On a more somber note...Last February I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, stage 1B, very early detection for pancreatic cancer, "the silent killer". In the last 2.5 months of chemo the 2 cm. tumor has shrunk 32% which is freakin' outstanding! I should be done with this crap come September, October. Enough said.

That's about it...LET'S GO FLYING!
Last edited by Fast Freddy; Sep 05, 2018 at 11:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply