One Meter Wingspan B-24 Liberator - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 21, 2007, 10:00 AM
kwhabq
Build Log

One Meter Wingspan B-24 Liberator

This thread will be dedicated to a Beta Build of a 1 meter wingspan B-24 Liberator WW2 Bomber kitted by Scott at http://www.bluswede.com/Models.html .

I just received the kit on April 20, and hope to get some photos up as soon as I get started with the assembly.

Scott has some information and photos on another thread here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653945

I plan to post closeup photos for each critical step in the assembly. I stress that this is a BETA BUILD, so feel free to comment and make recommendations.

Ken
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2007, 09:15 PM
What...me worry?
Ken,
Glad to hear it arrived in good condition. You seem to have a good handle on how it fits together. It'd be nice if the designer got off the couch and did up some assembly instructions...eh?
Regads,
Scott
Apr 21, 2007, 09:32 PM
What...me worry?

The goal...sorta'

Hi All,
I figured I'd post a pic of what we're aiming for. Of course, there will be no ugly hole behind the wing for the elevator servo, being that there's now a servo tray in the "bomb bay". There will also be a removable section of the cockpit that acts as a battery hatch.
If anyone has an idea on something that could be cut or assembled differently...feel free to speak, I'm not too proud to listen. In that vein, thanks Ken for starting this thread...it'll help me see any mistakes I've made along the way.
Regards,
Scott
Apr 21, 2007, 09:53 PM

Got mine too!

My Beta kit showed up yesterday as well. Sure was packaged beautifully. I don't think I have ever had a plane get delivered to me with that maticulous of a job of packaging.

Scott mentioned you were thinking of hiding the elevator linkage in the fuse. I figure two short hollow carbon tubes under the stab with a solid one through them that connects to each elevator with a horn in the middle going down into the fuse should do the trick or were you thinking of something else?

Look forward to seeing your pictures and watching your progress.

Later,
Dave
Apr 21, 2007, 11:16 PM
kwhabq
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrush
Scott mentioned you were thinking of hiding the elevator linkage in the fuse. I figure two short hollow carbon tubes under the stab with a solid one through them that connects to each elevator with a horn in the middle going down into the fuse should do the trick or were you thinking of something else?

Look forward to seeing your pictures and watching your progress.

Later,
Dave
Dave,

That is pretty much the way I plan it. Will post a photo when I finalize the connection.

I really was blown away with Scott's packaging - amazing what his CNC will do. I'm trying not to go too fast on this build, because once the sides are glued on, you are pretty well committed to what you have. I plan to just put on one side, figure out the elevator linkage and test it, as well as trial fitting the rcvr/esc/battery, then glue the other side. Hope it works.

Best of luck on your build, I will be following it and maybe asking a few questions along the way.

Ken
Last edited by kwhabq; Apr 22, 2007 at 12:56 PM.
Apr 21, 2007, 11:18 PM
kwhabq
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluswede
Ken,
Glad to hear it arrived in good condition. You seem to have a good handle on how it fits together. It'd be nice if the designer got off the couch and did up some assembly instructions...eh?
Regads,
Scott
Us guys don't need instructions nor directions - just ain't macho!!!

Ken
Apr 22, 2007, 12:41 AM
What...me worry?

Elevator Linkage

Hi Guys,
Ken, you're gonna' make my head swell talkin' like that!...I DID want the kits to arrive in good shape, though...
Anyhoo...I was having a tough time visualizing just how to hide the linkage without adding too much weight or complexity. I had suggested to Ken offlist that we do a full-flying stabilizer with the fin/rudders glued to the end of it, leaving them to flop around as elevator inputs were made. It'd be simple, light, and strong. There is a precedent, too...a Chinese firm is making a Mig-15 that has its vertical fin pivot right where it joins the fuselage. Sure it looks goofy on the ground, but it works!
I can almost hear the screams out there!...don't worry, I thought of something else!
Staying with the full-flying thing...my mind drifted to another design that I did a while back where I'd put full-flying elevons in the exhaust stream of twin ducted fans on a model with tail booms. I had accomplished this by gluing the tailbooms to a carbon tube crosspiece. On this crosspiece ride servo control arms reamed to a clearance fit. These control arms, in turn, fit inside an aluminum tube to which the flight surface is glued. One set of arms has their...uh...arms clipped functioning merely as bearings while the other set is connected to pushrods.
I kinda' turned that design inside-out and backwards to end up with what you see pictured below. Upon looking at it, and thinking that I'll be using a 5mm tube...I realized that you don't really need the outside bearings that would be placed in the fins. You end up with a full-flying elevator that just happens to be real close to the trailing edge of the non-moving stabilizer. All I really need do is split the stabilizer into two pieces and lay the two bearings between the pieces. I may be able to CNC cut a groove for the carbon tube...or a removable piece of formed styrene could act as a cover.
There is some weight there...but preliminary balance tests had the nose pretty heavy...those four motors are quite a ways in front of the CG.
I had also thought of just placing twin pushrods on the one elevator servo and having them come out the side of the fuselage below the stabilizer...but this is going to be a belly lander and I don't like the idea of linkages dragging in the grass. That's why the aileron linkage is on the top of the wing just to the rear of the outboard engine nacelles.
Whad'a'ya'll think?
Regards,
Scott
Last edited by bluswede; Apr 22, 2007 at 12:55 AM.
Apr 22, 2007, 01:23 PM
Bite me!
Hi all, Ken thanks for starting this thread, Scott, how do i get a kit and what is it running? Any idea what all up weight will be? What power is everone considering?
Jim
Apr 22, 2007, 03:13 PM

What motors

I am wondering if we could get buy with the EDP 05 series instead of the EDP-50 series that Scott has on the prototype. I had 2 of the 50s on my Mosquito Funcraft conversion and the speed was insane.
The motors are listed at the link below - It also has a nice table for power etc. http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/ele...1_products.htm -
the weight of the 05 is listed at 2.55 grams but it doesn't list a weight for the 50. I set one on my scale and a 50 registered at 15 grams(that's with some CA on it though) Wondering if the 2.5" props would look more to scale size tha the 3 inchers??? or maybe some nice Cox props with the spinner on them.

I see that e-flight is coming out with a 180 size outrunner the middle of June - Let see four motors at $10.00 each plus a $40 pixie 20 or 4 motors at $40.00 each plus 4 Phoenix 10s. ???? Think mine will be brushed!!!

Any thoughts on how to do the rudder controls yet?

I was looking at the wing and trying to figure out the intended spar. 4 solid rods - 2 top and 2 on the bottom. I am wondering about just a little bigger hollow tube and use one only with a coupler in the middle for dihedral?? Think we could save some weight, plus be stronger???

Ken, like you I have been more time looking and thinking before jumping right in with glue that will have to be cut apart because I forgot something. I was actually think about make in a couple removable hatches in the bottom just in case.

I am way ahead of myself but I found my color scheme - http://www.collingsfoundation.org/me...24-aaquart.jpg

Later,
Dave
Apr 22, 2007, 03:24 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
You Guys should be on the kit forum , this place is for plans , not kits ....
Apr 22, 2007, 06:13 PM
kwhabq
Dave,

The EDP05 motors are only going to give about 10 watts total for 4 - the EDP50s will give about 55 watts for 4. The plane is going to need at least 40 watts I am guessing, so a little reserve is not a bad idea.

Ken
Apr 23, 2007, 09:31 AM
kwhabq
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
You Guys should be on the kit forum , this place is for plans , not kits ....
Everybody happy now?
Apr 23, 2007, 03:54 PM
kwhabq

Beginning assembly

Just glued on the left side to do some trial fitting. I haven't cut the body openings yet, but have put blue tape over the areas I plan to take out.

The front top is the battery opening which will get covered by the cockpit - probably with a magnet attachment.

On the bottom is an approximate location for access to adjust the servo rod and make connections to the receiver from servos, motors, and ESC. Decided it was better not to try to make the wing removable.

At the rear top is the planned cutout for the pushrod and control horn placement for the elevator. The elevator servo is loosely fitted now. Will glue it in place when a test is made for clearance. The horizontal stab will cover the hole and the control horn.

Not much gluing, but the fitting was the big question mark up to now. I think this will work out fine and give some access for CG adjustment without having to add a lot of weight. (I hope).
Apr 23, 2007, 04:44 PM
What...me worry?
Ken,
Interesting adaptation of the servo tray! I was planning to make the wing removable on mine and setting the servo(s) with the horns on top. Don't see why your way won't work, though.
I guess I'd better get back to the prototype build to stay ahead of you!...it's just be "wrong" if you maidened the beta kit before I maiden the prototype!
Regards,
Scott