Oct 21, 2002, 02:17 PM
Thread OP
OK, I know everybody loves pictures, so I got some.

Here’s some specs and photos on the Haasbro Airsurfer biplane.

All up weight with supplied battery pack is 259.32 grams (9.25oz.). Wingspan is 31-1/4”. Fuse is 19-1/4” long. Prop is 3-1/4” diameter, the pitch is….. well, not much.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2002, 02:18 PM
Thread OP
Bottom view. The CG is located right at the front pin holding the lower wing on. Just behind the battery compartment.
Oct 21, 2002, 02:19 PM
Thread OP
The only problem I encountered on assembly. All the plastic brackets provided are the same length, looks like the mold is a little off with this hole. I’ll have to make a longer bracket.
Oct 21, 2002, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
There are a lot of stress creases in the foam. Here’s a wingtip where it’s turned up.
Oct 21, 2002, 02:22 PM
Thread OP
Here’s the bottom of wing.
Oct 21, 2002, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
Shot of the motor mount.
Oct 21, 2002, 02:24 PM
Thread OP
With the cover off
Oct 21, 2002, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
Here’s an E-Gull 180 motor for comparison. Same diameter, shorter can. There are no markings on the motor.
Oct 21, 2002, 02:27 PM
Thread OP
Here’s a look at the battery compartment. Can’t believe they put a Phillips screw in the cover so you’d have to use a screwdriver to change the battery.
Oct 21, 2002, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
I haven’t dug into the electronics yet. Everything is sealed up inside, I wanted to try it like it is before I start chopping. But it’s raining today and on into tomorrow so I haven’t had a chance to fly it yet.

I’ve decided that I’m going to put some onion-skin graph paper over the wings so I can plot all the dimensions in CAD. Then I’ll have a 1:1 scale that can be resized to any wingspan. And it will calculate wing area for me, the shape would be a pain to calculate by hand. If anyone wants a copy I can post the CAD file in different formats when I get it done, CAD, DWG, DWF or for those without a CAD program I can do it as a PDF file.

More to come…….

Jimmy
Oct 21, 2002, 05:47 PM
DNA
DNA
Jimmy,

Wouldn't it be easier to make a new hole instead of a longer bracket?

The motors are your standard run-of-mill 130 size. They can be
found on lots of surplus sites or at Tower.
Looks like the cells are AAs? Are they? Could probably use AAAs to lower
the weight.

Thanks for the pics, but you still haven't convinced me yet.

Fly it in the rain, it's foam!
Last edited by DNA; Oct 21, 2002 at 05:51 PM.
Oct 21, 2002, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
Well it's one hole width off, so if I make another hole I will actually have a slot. The bracket is just a piece of plastic bent into a 'U' shape, that's easy to do.

They are AAA cells.

Convinced you? I haven't even convinced myself yet

It's foam but I'm not, that's the problem.

Jimmy
Oct 21, 2002, 08:35 PM
DNA
DNA
"you can make your POWER AIR SURFER Plane do dives, barrel rolls upside and down, spirals and spins!"

Does the instruction manual tell you how to do all this? or are
they also part of the turning off the transmitter thing?
Oct 22, 2002, 05:26 AM
Thread OP
No, they don't explain how to do that. It may be what you get when you turn the tx off.

They do say it takes practice. I'd guess a lot of practice, it would take a really perfect touch to do a barrel roll when all you have is motor on or off. Some pre-flight meditation may be necessary in order to become 'one with the plane'. I'm workin' on it.

Jimmy
Oct 28, 2002, 05:05 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7

Another One

I just found this thing at my local Super Wally and bought it. Now I find the post about Toys R Us! Rats! Oh well, mine was a bear to get started. It took me 30 minutes to get it out of the plastic bags, tape, wire and cardboard, and about 5 minutes to snap it together. All of my holes matched up if I pushed on them hard enough.

I have to agree, the wings are really wrinkled. The wind here has been uncooperative for a trial flight.... and what about this 300 ft. range deal? I guess nobody's going to "speck out" with it.

The charge time with the 8 C-cell charger is 25 minutes. I was surprised it charged the NiMh batteries that quickly. I put mine on the carpet in the family room and it has enough thrust to push itself along on the floor. When gliding you can still steer the plane by tapping left or right. Mine is on 49 mhz (?). The blue one that's pictured is on 27Mhz. Mine is bright red and yellow.
I payed $44 for this one and I can't wait to pitch it to see what it does. The Tx looks like something from star trek. There is another thread here somewhere with pics of it flying. It certainly doesn't look like an airplane!

Buzz

Quick Reply