Apr 16, 2007, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Bloodbath at Virginia Tech

Sometimes I see what is going on in Iraq and just shake my head over how violent they are, then I'm reminded that the U.S. is a violent place too.

The thin veil of civilization.
Apr 16, 2007, 12:40 PM
I'm dangerously carefree
I'm a student here. They're keeping us in lockdown.
Apr 16, 2007, 12:52 PM
Tally Ho!
Very saddened and shocked here in Holland that this has happened......

our thoughts are with all of you. and especially with the families of the deceased victims.

I personally hope the US will wake up finally and BAN all firearms in private posession, and enstate severe gun-laws like we have here in Holland......

the right to bear arms notwhithstanding, there will have to be a total radical change in thought about firearms laws in your country.......

KM
Apr 16, 2007, 12:55 PM
Go get them Meg!
I am not convinced that making personal possession of firearms illegal would have prevented someone who is willing to illegally murder 21 people from possessing a firearm.
Apr 16, 2007, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
I am not convinced that making personal possession of firearms illegal would have prevented someone who is willing to illegally murder 21 people from possessing a firearm.
This is not a professional asassin at work. This is some madman, as usual. Without a developed infrastructure that allows anyone virtually unrestricted and uncontrolled access to firearms, a madman contemplating something like that would very likely have been caught long before he would have a chance to start shooting.

Not even mentioning that the very fact that these madmen consider this course of action as something viable and easily implementable is a direct consequence of being brought up in a society with such a casual approach to firearm ownership.
Apr 16, 2007, 01:00 PM
I'm dangerously carefree
It's not a gun control issue, it's a why the hell didn't they stop the guy after he shot a person in West AJ, and let all those people go to class. TWO HOURS between the two events.
Apr 16, 2007, 01:02 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
Nor am I. However my common sense tells me that the annual toll of around 29,000 firearm deaths in the US would be lower if we had better laws and better enforcement relating to firearm possession. Sadly, such a discussion is nearly impossible due to the stridency of the gun loons.

Advocates of no-gun-regulation will show up in force in this thead at any moment, roaring that regulation of firearms will not have any impact on gun deaths.
Last edited by 4 Scale; Apr 16, 2007 at 01:30 PM.
Apr 16, 2007, 01:06 PM
Get One Up!!!
It is in incredibly bad taste to be arguing about gun control before the bodies are even cold, surely?
Apr 16, 2007, 01:09 PM
Hate to sound like a radical (especially after my posting on the sex-abstenance thread) but people who are minded to kill people will kill people. the carnage would have been less (I think) had he only had a knife or a 2 x 4, but greater had he used a bomb (think Tim McVey). Big Foot, I think the "thin veil" is one of sanity, not civilization, but who knows? Have to say, though, that the Middle Eastern violence is institutional (group?) while ours tends to be individual.

Truly a terrible thing.

howell
Apr 16, 2007, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige
Very saddened and shocked here in Holland that this has happened......I personally hope the US will wake up finally and BAN all firearms in private posession, and enstate severe gun-laws like we have here in Holland......
Don't bet on it. We have more gun loon crackpots here than you can possibly imagine.

Holland has a firearm death rate of .7 per 100,000; the USA 14.24 - over 20 times higher Yet you willl shortly see amply protestation in this thread, with no basis in fact, that restricting firearms will have no impact on firearm deaths. The many gun advocates who are about to post with will show the mind set we have to contend with to get reasonable control legistlation passed.
Apr 16, 2007, 01:14 PM
Go get them Meg!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT
This is not a professional asassin at work. This is some madman, as usual. Without a developed infrastructure that allows anyone virtually unrestricted and uncontrolled access to firearms, a madman contemplating something like that would very likely have been caught long before he would have a chance to start shooting.
Unlikely. Madmen are the most likely to violate the law without consideration of the consequences. Bothe the UK and Germany have had similar circumstances some years ago, even though personal firearms ownership is very restricted.

Quote:
Not even mentioning that the very fact that these madmen consider this course of action as something viable and easily implementable is a direct consequence of being brought up in a society with such a casual approach to firearm ownership.
Certainly such an action would have been impossible or nearly impossible with a baseball bat or a knife, but the fact remains that making firearms illegal does not remove firearms from the very people who are most likely to take such actions.
Apr 16, 2007, 01:14 PM
Parrothead Extraordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige
Very saddened and shocked here in Holland that this has happened......

our thoughts are with all of you. and especially with the families of the deceased victims.

I personally hope the US will wake up finally and BAN all firearms in private posession, and enstate severe gun-laws like we have here in Holland......

the right to bear arms notwhithstanding, there will have to be a total radical change in thought about firearms laws in your country.......

KM
When you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have them. Most guns used in crime come from the black market, not gun shops....
Apr 16, 2007, 01:15 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
It is in incredibly bad taste to be arguing about gun control before the bodies are even cold, surely?
On the contrary, it would be bad taste NOT to try and prevent future occurrances of this sort.

Easy access to firearms = easy and highly efficient way to commit murder.

It's the price we pay for the political power of the gun loons. I'm sure they consider it well worth the price.
Apr 16, 2007, 01:16 PM
Go get them Meg!
Quote:
Apparently not.
Apr 16, 2007, 01:16 PM
Quote:
I do not agree. It is worse taste to be silent in the face of tragedy.

Quick Reply