Apr 15, 2007, 06:18 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

My Twin Boom UAV Construction Log

I was starting to take over the Twin boom pusher thread, so i thought i'd start my own.

This is a 60% scale version of the UAV which i am designing. The entire aircraft is scratch built (as you can see from the progress) and is using plans which i have created. These plans will not be availiable, sorry.

This continues from where i left off here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4&postcount=80

I've got one wing's construction finished and all sanded down. The other wing is 70% constructed (needs support sections, servo mount and 2 more spars glue into place (already cut).

The right wing is starting to get covered
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2007, 08:44 AM
blundering through
looking good mark!

What chord have you got on that wing?

Cheers Brandon
Apr 15, 2007, 09:01 AM
Thread OP
Its about 270mm from memory. I think its possibly too big, the wing is very very wide haha.
Apr 15, 2007, 01:37 PM
Smoke me a Kipper
excellent
What I'm wondering is how do you mount a gas tank in a pusher so that it works? Backwards? or do you use a different style of tank?
Apr 15, 2007, 10:27 PM
Thread OP
No idea.. this prototype will be powered by a 10 size electric motor.
Apr 16, 2007, 10:34 AM
Thread OP
Got the wing fully covered.. only had a small amount of time today sadly.

Top is yellow Need to make the final spar plywood on full size.. if solarlite screws up the spar, solarfilm is going to bust it apart completely.

No pictures, just re-installed windows.
Apr 16, 2007, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzdecat
excellent
What I'm wondering is how do you mount a gas tank in a pusher so that it works? Backwards? or do you use a different style of tank?
Backwards. That way when the nose pitches on takeoff the fuel runs toward the clunk, a few extra inches of fuel line work okay, Ive installed a header tank from a Raptor heli inline between the tank and engine works with the tank backwards too.
Mike
Apr 22, 2007, 11:00 PM
Thread OP
Managed to spend a bit of time on sunday working on the plane. Wing are all done, just need ailerons and the top covering on the left wing.
Apr 23, 2007, 02:57 AM
Thread OP
All covered. Wings complete sans ailerons.
Apr 23, 2007, 04:43 AM
Nemo in a blender
Looks neat Mark!

Can't wait till this bird takes off.
Apr 23, 2007, 05:49 AM
Thread OP
Just ordered a pusher prop for it, had to get it from a USA site as i couldnt find one in australia. Sigh. Work on the fuselage starts on wednesday or thursday. Alot of that may be planning rather than building though.
Apr 24, 2007, 09:42 AM
De-Brushed user
Not sure if you are aware, but for electric motors, a 'pusher' prop is not needed. Just reverse the direction of the motor (for brushless, switch any two wires, for brushed, switch both). We have a bunch of APC 'Pusher' 9x6 electric props, and they are exactly the same as the regular 9x6, just reversed.

Cool plane, looking forward to seeing it come together
Apr 24, 2007, 10:42 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the advice CAF, oh well. I've got a APC 10x6 ordered though so i guess we will see .

The full size petrol will need to have a pusher though
Apr 25, 2007, 04:09 AM
Mark

Your progress is looking really good. I hope to start my scratch build soon now that I have returned from holidays.

Crash Pilot
Apr 25, 2007, 05:57 AM
Thread OP
Cool Stuff, i ended up playing with rocket planes today rather than working on the fuselage. Didnt have any plywood the right size

Quick Reply