Apr 14, 2007, 06:19 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

BeNeLux RCAP Day 2007, 2008, and pre-announcement for 18 Apr 2009

The first BeNeLux RCAP day was on 14 April 2007, with 4 flyers participating. As shown below it was a success. On parting the participatants were already considering the next days. And we decided to start a separate thread to post some of the results of this and following BeNeLux RCAP days.

Edit 4 Feb 2008: For the pre-announcement of BeNeLux RCAP day 2008, see post 21 in this thread (page 2 of the thread). The date will be Saturday 19 April 2008, location somewhere in Limburg (futher details after 19 March).

Edit 20 Sept 2008: Just so that people can already put it in their calendars: let's keep it a tradition: 3e Saturday in April = Spring BeNeLux RCAP day. Next one on 18 April 2009.
Last edited by Arthur P.; Apr 20, 2008 at 05:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2007, 06:40 PM
Pull out early!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur P.
As shown below it was a success.

???
Apr 14, 2007, 06:56 PM
Flying Kiwi
Was it a cloudy day?
Apr 14, 2007, 06:57 PM
Thread OP

BeNeLux RCAP Day 14 April 2007, theme The Dutch Landscape

The theme of the first Dutch RCAP day was The Dutch Landscape.

The weather was as forecast for a change: absolutely wondrfull with only light winds, a slight haze, a few very high and thin clouds, lots and lost of sun, and temparatures up to 23C.

After meeting up over coffee and cake, we started flying in the flowerfields in Lisse, just North of the Keukenhof. From there we went to the Kagerplassen North of Leiden for lunch and more flyin. And then to a row of three windmills near Stompwijk, followed by diner in Leiderdorp.

I haven't had time to go through all the pictures yet, but here are some first impressions with a mix of pix on the ground and from the air. Once I-ve sorted through all, I'll post some more.

Everybody had a great time. Peter tremendously impressed everybody with his tricopter. Frederic could demonstrate his 2.4GHz downlink with video recording on his notebook and with VR flying. With Arthur's Spektrum DX7 we could test whether the downlink and the DX7/AR7000 interfered at all. Even with the DX7 immediately next to the downlink receiver, and between the downlink Tx and Rx, we saw a perfect image after first turning on the downlink and then the DX7. There were the minor mishaps, such as a shutter servo burning out causing a motor shutdown and forced landing and a 15 flight with NO pictures to show, a tilt servo's gears being stripped, an EasyGlider's wingspar splitting lengthwise, a camera having been incorrectly set to anti-shake resulting in blurred pics due to overcompensating for the plane's movement, and a depron cameramount coming apart. Myself being at the receiving end of most of the mishaps was a bit of an embaresment. But even these minor inconviences were a learning experience for all. And there were no major mishaps.

I-m already looking forward to a next BeNeLux RCAP day. Frederic has kindly offered to start researching the possibilities in the area to the South and West of Brussels, and to consider a possible date, most likely in late spring or early summer. A third day may then occur in early autumn in the North of the Netherlands.
Last edited by Arthur P.; Apr 14, 2007 at 07:19 PM.
Apr 14, 2007, 06:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNiceGuy
Was it a cloudy day?
You guy's are just too fast. I was hard at work putting together the next post ;=D
Apr 14, 2007, 07:39 PM
Flying Kiwi
Chuckle! Great photos!!! Looking forward to more! I like the one with the houseboats for some reason.
MNG
Apr 14, 2007, 09:01 PM
Pull out early!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur P.
You guy's are just too fast. I was hard at work putting together the next post ;=D

Sorry about that.... I was really anxious to see them!

And rightly so, those flowerfield photos are wonderful. Thanks for sharing. In the last flowerfield photo, it is interesting how when they change crop in mid-row, they look like puzzle pieces with two and three interlocking "tines."

Dave
Apr 15, 2007, 04:12 AM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Great photos and a really nice setting, lete see some more. I would also like to see some more information on Peter's tricopter.

Cheers
DaveB...>
Apr 15, 2007, 04:29 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Looks like you Guys had a good time.

Some of us SCRAPS boys met up yesterday. Always nice to spend a bit of time with like minded people....

The flower fields look like giant colourful Bar Codes! Beep...

Paul.
Apr 15, 2007, 08:26 AM
Wonderful photos! Looks like a fun day.

I would like to see some close-ups of Frederic's EZG mods and some details.

Thanks,

R/E
Apr 15, 2007, 10:32 AM

Nice Rcap Day

Great day the RCAP-day Benelux. I have learn a lot. I was impressed of the tricopter and the Frederiq downlink system.

After landing in Lisse (sand way) I have a little dust-particle on the sensor (sony p200) left upper corner.

Arthur thanks for good organisation

Here are my first results:
Apr 15, 2007, 01:12 PM
Smile & wave
Very nice pictures, congratulations Arthur on what looks like a very good meeting.
Love those windmills.

Gray
Apr 15, 2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks again Arthur for organizing the meeting!

Here are some of my photos. My camera is not as good as those of the others.

I have also made a few videos but the initial compression combined with the conversion by MovieMaker results in a poor quality. After posting on google, the result is a big blur... (http://video.google.nl/videoplay?doc...02777721&hl=nl) I will see if I can come to better results in the coming days.

Quote:
would like to see some close-ups of Frederic's EZG mods and some details.
More photos can be seen here: http://www.rc-flight.be/AP.html I also use the plane for video piloting https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=115 The two flat services can adopt different equipment and I can switch between setups in a few minutes.

Frederic
Last edited by FredericG; Jun 11, 2009 at 08:06 AM.
Apr 15, 2007, 05:00 PM
Very nice pictures from all of you. It brings back memories of when I was in the Netherlands in 2002 when the bulb fields were in flower. The pictures do give you a sense of the fragrance of the flowers that can become overwhelming. On a previous visit we had stayed at Delft and cycled to the windmills at Stompwijk. Happy memories.

Arthur - It appears that you have attacked your Easyglider with some paint since I lat saw it. Was it getting hard to spot high up? I have also broken a wing spar on my Easyglider. The middle third was splintered lengthwise after a crash on its maiden flight (first flight with ailerons and overcorrected ). What happened to yours?

Richard
Apr 15, 2007, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
Actually I had split my EasyGlider wingspar on a "too fast landing" day before the meeting. Hadn't noticed and on the flight over the flowerfields I also didn't notice until I took the wing apart again. The split had grown to about the middle of the spar. Did fly with it the rest of the day as the overal stregnth seemed sufficient and weather was calm. Have now replaced the carbon spar with a 10mm diameter 1 meter long duraluminum tube. Weighs 15grams more so that's not a problem, fits perfectly, and doesn't split open lengthwise.

Quick Reply