Apr 12, 2007, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
Question

DX7 Programming with Seperate Flaps

Hey - I am trying to set up my first plane with seperate flaps. I am using a DX7 and an AR7000 receiver. This plane (a Multiplex Magister that I added seperate flaps to) has seperate servos for the ailerons.

I've read the manual and called customer support at Horizon a couple of times, but its still not working quite right. Here's what I have done so far...

1. Set up the wing type as normal (non-flaperon)
2. Plugged the Right Aileron Servo into the Aileron Channel
3. Plugged the Flap servos (via Y connection) into the AUX 1 channel
4. Plugged the Left Aileron servo into the Aux 2 channel.
5. In Programming mix #6, I mixed the Aileron Channel into the AUX 2 channel. I needed to put -10 in for offset, to bring the servo back to center (both on the plane and on the DX7 screen where you can see the servos moving)

At this point, everything is moving at the right time, and in the right direction. The problem I am having is with the travel in the left servo (which is hooked up to AUX 2). My right aileron moves up 20mm and down 10. When I try to go into the travel adjust menu to adjust the AUX 2 channel, instead of changing the endpoints, it is actually moving the aileron either up or down... kind of like a sub trim adjustment...

Any suggestions as to how I can adjust the travel endpoints of the left aileron?

Thanks,
UnPossible
Last edited by UnPossible; Apr 12, 2007 at 10:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2007, 11:25 PM
Happy Flyer
I did a test and found out something strange. Beside Pmix6 Rate setting, the Ail TravAdj also determine the throw in Aux2 servo. Somehow this is applied to all channels in Pmix5/6 only but not Pmix1-4. I suggest,
1. Ignore the Aux2 TravAdj setting, instead use Pmax6 Rate to set the proper throw for your left Ail servo. or
2. Use Ch Gear as left Ail because they are the same as in other channel

Where can we get a thorough programming guide? Many things are not mentioned in the DX7 manual.
Last edited by Leo1; Apr 14, 2007 at 07:23 AM.
Apr 13, 2007, 10:02 AM
Thread OP
Well - I just got off the phone with Horizon and finally have an answer, even though I don't like it...

According to the Horizon tech rep, there is no way with the DX7 to do what I am trying to do. In order to use the flap system and dual aileron servos, you have to plug the flaps into AUX 1(Flaps) and the left aileron into the AUX2 channel. Then you mix the Aileron channel into the AUX2 channel. If you want your ailerons to move up and down the same amount, this will work. However, I would like to use some differentail, which is not possible with this setup and the DX7...

I really wish that the channels were totally assignable. That way I could use the normal flaperon programming for the ailerons, the the flaps would work with the flap system as well......

The rep kindly let me know that the newly announced 2.4GHx JR 9303 will do this... guess its time to start saving my pennies....

Anyway, I think I will just go back to using the flaperons for the ailerons, and use the gear channel for the seperate flaps...

UnPossible
Apr 13, 2007, 10:22 AM
Happy Flyer
Last edited by Leo1; Apr 14, 2007 at 07:25 AM.
Apr 13, 2007, 10:38 AM
Happy Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnPossible
Well - I just got off the phone with Horizon and finally have an answer, even though I don't like it...

According to the Horizon tech rep, there is no way with the DX7 to do what I am trying to do. In order to use the flap system and dual aileron servos, you have to plug the flaps into AUX 1(Flaps) and the left aileron into the AUX2 channel. Then you mix the Aileron channel into the AUX2 channel. If you want your ailerons to move up and down the same amount, this will work. However, I would like to use some differentail, which is not possible with this setup and the DX7...

I really wish that the channels were totally assignable. That way I could use the normal flaperon programming for the ailerons, the the flaps would work with the flap system as well......

The rep kindly let me know that the newly announced 2.4GHx JR 9303 will do this... guess its time to start saving my pennies....

Anyway, I think I will just go back to using the flaperons for the ailerons, and use the gear channel for the seperate flaps...

UnPossible
You shall be able the have differentail by setting the Up/Down Rate for Aux2. Thus the up and down throws are not the same in left aileron (Aux2). Not sure why the Horizon Tech told you can't be done?
Last edited by Leo1; Apr 14, 2007 at 08:44 AM.
Apr 13, 2007, 10:52 AM
Thread OP
I tried to set the travel adjust of the AUX 2 channel, but when setup as described, the travel adjust quit working.... If you have a way around this... I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
UnPossible
Apr 14, 2007, 04:23 AM
Happy Flyer
I tested the setup again, and found the problem in the DX7 Pmix 5/6.
1. I assume you installed 2 wing servos mirror image arrangement.
2. In Pmix5/6 the slave throw is determined by master T.adj as well
3. Thus when you set the Ali throw Up=100% Down=50%, the Aux2 (left Ail) become Up=50% Down=100%
4. If you try to use the rate to compensate, rate up =125%, the left Ail throw become 50%*125%=62.5%
Now, I understand why Horizon Tech told you is not possible.

So, I will do this way.
1. Turn ON the flaperon, Change Aux2 SW to 3 Position Sw. INH the Flap
2. Plug Left / right Ail servo to Aux1(Flap) and Ail channel respectively.
3. Plug Flap Servo Y-link to Aux2 ch
4. Set each channel T.Adj/subtrim. Also the differential .
5. Actually, you don't have to use Y-link wire if you program Pmix1 as Aux2->Gear, then set the gear T.Adj to 0%/0%. Use Rate to adjust the Throw of the second Flap (Gear Ch).
Last edited by Leo1; Apr 14, 2007 at 11:42 AM.
Jun 27, 2009, 05:24 AM
I tried to set up my Telemaster with two aileron and two flap servos.
That was hard… One and half days trying to programming, cursing…

Finally I’ve got my setup:

1. Normal wing type (non-flaperon)
2. Disable the Aux2 switch int he main setup menu.
3. Right Aileron servo plugged into the Aileron channel
4. Left Aileron servo plugged into the Gear channel
5. Right Flap servo into the Aux 1 channel
6. Left Flap servo into the Aux 2 channel.
7. Program Mix 5 – Flap-Aux2 mix
8. Program Mix 6 – Aile-Gear mix
9. Program Mix 1 – Gear-Gear mix (-100% - -100%) to disable the Gear Switch.

I can not understand, why is it not possible to disable the Gear switch from the Setup menu…

It works.

Fülee

Quick Reply