Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:07 AM
Find More Posts by Dampy
honey... anOTHER PLANE!
Discussion

is there a 3-Channel 20-40 size Trainer Arf or Kit out there?

I had my eye on the Schoolboy 3-CH Arf from Hobbypeople.net but looks like they've discontinued this model. anyone recomend another 20-40 size rudder elevator (glow) trainer? (No Ailerons)

primarily to get another newbie started in the hobby. Gotta have NOISE, OIL & that good old "glow smell"
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
God is good
Why train on a 3-channel? Seems to me that is hand-cuffing any newb that is truly interested in learning. That said, I'd suggest the original Great Planes SlowPoke, the one without ailerons.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by SKromfols
Stankromfols
I can't understand why you would want to begin on just 3 channel, but a Goldberg Falcon 56 kit gives you the option of either going 3 or 4 channel. It's a good trainer.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by Giles202
Happy G202 Pilot
I would highly recommend a 4 channel because sooner or later he is going to want to upgrade and his next plane is gonna be a 4 ch. So get a 4ch now and use the same radio for his next plane. Otherwise you are going to end up buying two radios. --Just my .02

G202
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by Dampy
honey... anOTHER PLANE!
OK, I've been teaching my grandfather on a 4-channel radio and buddy box, but it's going slow. I realley wanted to buy him a kit or ARF he could put together himself, so he can get a better feel of how the plane operates and goes together etc. (something fairly simple) He likes the noise and smoke of glow otherwise I'd look at electrics (ez-star etc.) I allready have a 4-ch trainer he can use anytime, but I feel he would enjoy the simpler control of a lazy (Rudd/Elev) Sunday afternoon flyer. Slow landings, lazy oval patterns and maybe some touch and goes would be all he'll need for quite some time.

Viper Pilot - I like the look of the slowpoke 20, a bit worried about a taildragger, as trike gear would be easier for takeoffs.

SK - the Goldberg Falcon 56 kit looks promissing

thanks guys, if you come up with anymore I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by Dampy
honey... anOTHER PLANE!
anyone know of a polyhedral glow sailplane with LG?
I saw a pic of an oldtimer looking plane from the 60's, that would fit the bill.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
God is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampy
. . . Viper Pilot - I like the look of the slowpoke 20, a bit worried about a taildragger, as trike gear would be easier for takeoffs. . . . .
I can't say for ALL the SP20s, but mine taxiied with no problems at all. Even though it has a very short tail-moment. I had to apply very little rudder. No ground loops like I experienced with later tail-draggers. This plane is sooo tame it is actually boring. Sounds like just the ticket for Grandda!
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by Dampy
honey... anOTHER PLANE!
Viper - It sounds perfect! Thanks