Aerofly Pro RC Flight Simulator Add-on #1 Review - RC Groups

Aerofly Pro RC Flight Simulator Add-on #1 Review

Lgbfan reviews the simulator that was the start of the Aerofly Pro Deluxe.

Splash

Introduction

Aerofly Pro is the simulator that keeps on giving! Try out a new plane without the first flight jitters. With Aerofly Pro, there are almost endless aircraft possibilities. You can brush up a little on your skills or even start as a complete beginner, and learn to fly! The weather may not cooperate, but Aerofly Pro always will.

If you ever want to move up to advanced aerobatics, I suggest Aerofly Pro Deluxe. You can trade Aerofly Pro in and upgrade to Aerofly Pro Deluxe.

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price MSRP:$79.95
Street Price:$65.00-$79.94
Manufacturer:Ipacs
Available From:Ohio Model Planes

Kit Contents

Aerofly Pro Contains:

• Manual
  • Installation CD
  • Installation CD for add-on #1
  • Interface cable and Y-cable

Aerofly Pro Requires:

• Transmitter (new Futaba cable if using new Futaba transmitters)

Installation

System Requirements

Minimum:

• 100% Pentium II / AMD compatible processor with at least 450Mhz
  • 64MB RAM
  • 160Mb free hard disc memory
  • CD-ROM drive
  • OpenGL compatible graphic card with at least 16Mb
  • 100% DirectX compatible sound card
  • Windows 98/ME/2000/XP with DirectX version 8.0a or higher
  • A free serial port (COM port) and a trainer output on your transmitter

Optimum:

• 100% Pentium II / AMD compatible processor with at least 800Mhz
  • 128MB RAM
  • OpenGL compatible graphic card with 64MB

Recommended Graphic cards:

• Nvidia GeForce3 and GeForce 4
  • Nvidia GeForce FX series (5200 - 5900)
  • Nvidia GeForce 6xxx series
  • Nvidia GeForce 4Go / FX Go / Go 6800
  • ATI Radeon 9xxx series
  • ATI Radeon X-series (X700, X-800)
  • ATI Radeon Mobility 9xxx series

The following cards are NOT recommend for use with AeroFly Professional:

• Nvidia GeForce2 MX series
  • All Matrox cards (the current line of Matrox cards is not compatible with AeroFly. There seems to be a driver bug that prevents AeroFly from working)
  • 3DFX Voodoo1, Voodoo2, Voodoo3, Banshee (the 3DFX company is no longer in business!)

Setup

Setup is simple: read the manual, hook up the interface-cable to your computer, plug in the new Futaba square cable to the interface cable (your transmitter may use the regular Y-cable), pop in the disc, and follow the instructions to install it. You’re ready to fly!

Features

Anything special about Aerofly Pro that sets it apart from other simulators? Of course there is:

• Low cost
  • Ability to record your flight and play it back
  • New scenery, aircraft, etc.
  • Ability to upload new aircraft without having to purchase more add-ons
  • Ability to upload your own aircraft all you need is some 3-D imagery software and some 3-D image know-how

Aircraft

The Giles202toc

The Giles202toc is one of the more high end, non-sponsored torque rolling planes. The paint scheme is a very nice patriotic red, white and blue. With this plane you can hover, do 3-D maneuvers (torque rolls and Box of Balsa to name a few) and accidentally crash without going home with the opened mouth stare.

The Extra330s

The Extra330s is another 3-D flyer that is a little more relaxed in speed but can act like a squirrel hyped up on coffee! As one of the only four-strokes in the simulator, it doesn't back down easy; whenever the Extra330s starts up, all the other aircraft shudder.

The DG1000

The DG1000 is a glider that I had no trouble handling (I do not fly gliders). I didn't use any thermals, but I did stay in the air for a little while. This glider's handling is amazing. You need very little input and the glider does the rest.

The Raptor

I do not fly helicopters, and the Raptor is for advanced pilots, so it was tricky to fly at first. The Raptor is a a trick monster and amazing to fly.

The Boeing 747

The Boeing 747 is a challenge to fly as it combines the power of two F-16s but with really slow reflexes . The Boeing 747 also has a very detailed paint scheme as well as the nice feature of locking brakes. Note that when landing, take off the brake locks since the landing gear will be gone and the plane still moving forward.

The Harrier Jet

The Harrier Jet is one of those planes that you can't help but stop and think, “WOW! How can it do that?” The Harrier Jet is a modern marvel and to be able to fly it is even more amazing. If you’re a modern jet modeler, the Harrier is always in the back of your mind when you want to start a new jet project.

The 106_Rega

The 106_Rega Rescue Helicopter is a nice scale helicopter. It has the catchy red and white hospital helicopter paint scheme.

The Stearman

The Stearman is one of the nicest looking scale aircraft in the simulator. The Stearman was used for training Navy Pilots in World War II.

Airplane and Helicopter uploading sites

Well now you bought Aerofly Pro, you used many of the different planes and can fly them well. Now you want to fly a plane you already have, but it isn't on the software. No problem. Just go to one of these sites, upload the plane to a temporary folder, then un-zip the file, place all of the files into the Aircraft Folder, and put the sound files into the Sound Folder.

Here is a list of all the folders you need to go to in order:

My Computer

• C: Drive
  • Program files
  • Ipacs
  • Aircraft (put all the files in here)
  • Sound (separate the sound files from the original folder and put them in here)

All of the sites are safe and free, and they are promoted by Ipacs.

This site has a lot a Aerofly Pro stuff available: sceneries, helicopters, planes, etc. Although this site is in mostly German you can download everything just fine.

This website has a lot of great airplane models.

This website also has a lot of great planes and helicopters.

This website has tools to help modify and create different sceneries.

This website has aircraft and scenery. It is in German, but don't worry, I automatically translated it for you.

This website has mostly Aerofly Pro Deluxe aircraft, but it does have some Aerofly Pro aircraft. Again, I translated this one.

Is This For a Beginner?

Definitely! It helps you learn to fly or learn to fly better, although you may have to upgrade to the Aerofly Pro Deluxe to learn more advanced aerobatics.

Video/Photo Gallery

Note on all videos: At times the videos may be blurry this is because my camera likes to auto focus the picture when it does need to.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Downloads

Conclusion

Aerofly Pro is the easy to use simulator that’s perfect for the new flyer on a budget. It has great flight features, and you can download lots of new aircraft. It's freezing rain, 31-32 degrees outside, 10:00pm - I think I'll go and fly my new F-18 Hornet.

Pluses:

• Lots of different aircraft to choose from
  • Helps you learn to fly
  • Links up to your transmitter

Minuses:

• Could have a little better graphics
Last edited by Angela H; Oct 26, 2007 at 03:26 PM..
Oct 26, 2007, 04:20 PM
Your attitude is your alt
What your calling the F-14 is actually and Air Force F-16, the F-14 is a Navy Fighter also known as the Tomcat.
I have IPACS and love it, use it all the time to keep my fingers nimble. I especially like the helicopter physics, they are the closest to real I have found!

Gary Morris
Oct 27, 2007, 09:05 AM
Gary thanks for the tip and your comments.
Oct 27, 2007, 05:16 PM
hey thats nice, i got a question for ya, the heli that i just bought from a member here has a simulator jack too, and its exactly like yours, the same plug to plugh into your computer (COM port i guess). well i dont have the software and i would really like to fly on at least the FMS one, so do you know how to install it without the software?
Oct 27, 2007, 06:43 PM
FMS you mean Flying Model Simulator right? Here is the website:http://n-old.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html. There is only one helicopter and this is ThreeDee, but it should be just fine. Thanks for asking, I am glad to help.
Oct 27, 2007, 08:31 PM
yea, i got it, i was just wondering about the software, like how do i use my tx with it, cause my cable uses the same COM port and it does not work.
Oct 27, 2007, 08:37 PM
Ok so you hooked it into your computer and then you hooked it into your tx right?
Oct 27, 2007, 09:17 PM
yea, the problem is that i dont have the software
Oct 27, 2007, 10:21 PM
Did you download FMS?
Oct 27, 2007, 10:26 PM
Did you download and install FMS?
Oct 28, 2007, 07:35 AM
yea, i have it all here, i just dont know how to install the software for the cable manually
Oct 28, 2007, 11:42 AM
You shouldn't have to install the software for the cable, as I don't think there is any. Plug in your tx to the com port then turn your tx on and start FMS. It should this time.

Quick Reply