Apr 09, 2007, 09:08 AM
Random Pic #23982
Thread OP
Discussion

You never know what you will find

For some strange reason, I have been following this scientific expedtion...

LINK

Quote:
In March-April 2007, a team of scientists from Durham University, Cardiff University and NOCS will board the RRS James Cook to visit this special area of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, which is called the Fifteen-Twenty Fracture Zone (FTFZ for short - the map on the left shows where this is located).
Quote:
This section of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge is special because it is the best-known example of a 'magma-starved' ridge - in other words, an area where spreading takes place by tectonic (cracking) processes instead of by magma injection. The ocean crust in this area is exceptionally thin, meaning that a rock called peridotite is exposed in the central valley of the ridge. Usually, this rock is buried beneath kilometres of ocean crust, so by taking samples of this rock the scientific team can gather important information about the structure of the ridge in this area and the mechanisms by which seafloor spreading takes place. A key question to answer is whether the oceanic crust has been removed by tectonic processes, or whether it was never there in the first place.
Then recently, they posted this...

Quote:
The Start of a New Month Brings a Gem of a Find

Diamonds may be a ‘girls best friend’ but they are also the shape of pure carbon while under the enormous pressures encountered deep within the Earth’s mantle. Most diamonds are found in volcanic ‘kimberlite’ pipes that cut through ancient continental crust. But we weren’t expecting to find any diamonds in the mantle that is exposed on the seafloor out here, at 13°N on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

This is because the mantle pressures are too low and the carbon concentrations too scarce to make diamond. However, as dawn broke at the start of our second month at sea, we were amazed to find small, clear crystalline shapes in the gravel from the latest dredge. In amongst fragments of fresh mantle peridotite, sparkles and glints of blue-white light caught the eye of Bob Spencer, the Deck PO on the 4-8 watch. Photographed below are the small, clear crystal sifted from the gravel. Without access to geochemical analyses, we cannot be sure of the nature of these crystals. However, a carefully controlled scratch test by Glyn Collard, the 2nd Engineer, proved them considerably harder than a pint beer-glass. Their refractive index is much higher than either water or gin, and their shape is also reminiscent of the cubic crystal structure of diamond. In a subsequent dredge we found more of the same, and even some quite large ones (although these are a bit worn and dirty on the outside). All of the crystals are clear, inclusion free, and white in colour; so only of the best quality. While we await the outcome of chemical analyses, the ‘samples’ are being kept locked up in the ship’s safe – just in case the gleam of ‘promised riches’ causes the ship’s company to mutiny.....
LINK

I think the cruise has become much more interesting and it just goes to show, you never know what your'll find in an unexplored part of the earth.
Apr 09, 2007, 01:24 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff
For some strange reason, I have been following this scientific expedtion...

LINK

Then recently, they posted this...

LINK

I think the cruise has become much more interesting and it just goes to show, you never know what your'll find in an unexplored part of the earth.

Hmmm.... - date + pint glass+gin refraction =
Apr 09, 2007, 02:08 PM
Go get them Meg!
Damn! I thought they were going to find a UFO.
Apr 09, 2007, 02:15 PM
Ascended Master
Quote:
That's a tautology, innit?
It's what makes looking so interesting.
Apr 09, 2007, 02:32 PM
Random Pic #23982
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
Damn! I thought they were going to find a UFO.
They have a "ask the scientist" section on the site. They were asked of Atlantis was there.
Apr 09, 2007, 03:01 PM
Go get them Meg!
Quote:
They have a "ask the scientist" section on the site. They were asked of Atlantis was there.
A UFO is far more plausible.

And cooler.
Apr 09, 2007, 03:12 PM
Authorized Self-Portrait?
I wonder if the people who generously supported this expedition are now licking their chops?

I bet DeBeer's is watching this closely!

Quick Reply