Apr 08, 2007, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Yet another Open UAV Site

Hi Everyone,

We are just setting up yet another open uav website. Both source code and hardware plans will be open sourced.

You will also be able to buy our boards, and Paparazzi ones, at cost :-)
http://openuav.astroplanes.com/

Cheers

Julian
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2007, 02:59 AM
THINK SMALL
Wow!!!
Great papers!
Great products!
Great idea!
Wow!!!
Apr 09, 2007, 05:12 AM
Looks very very promising!
Some questions:
- In understand that an MSP430 microcontroller is used. Is this powerfull enough for kalman filtering and guidance?
- Is the GPS the one found on various hobby sites (like sparkfun)? A lot of people have said it has a long delay. Any experiences with it?

Tom
Last edited by dentompie; Apr 09, 2007 at 05:34 AM.
Apr 10, 2007, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
No this is just a calibrated sensor block, you will still need a Kalman filter connected via serial/SPI. Normally we have a gumstix (linux) based flight computer hooked up, or if you are testing, a laptop.

We haven't had any long delay problems with SIRF III -159dBm. Make sure you also match it with a decent GPS Antenna.

For now we selected the sirf III (1hz), simply because the price/performance is so damn good. Although technologies like the etek 32channel 5hz hopefully will come down in price, as a viable alternative to expensive ublox 4 hz ones.

We are developing the next generation INS right now, with arm7 - LPC2148 (and Kalman onboard), that said we are pleased with our current board, at this price.

Julian
Apr 10, 2007, 01:54 PM
Thread OP
Please bare with us, the website is still very much a work in progress, hopefully it should be ully operational over the next two weeks
Apr 12, 2007, 06:49 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy

keep up the good work

lots of paper to read

thanks

Ralf
Sep 13, 2007, 04:25 AM
Hi Julian,
I am one of ur customer, we made payment for ur kit last week,

when u r planning to make the website open for discussion and source code/experience upload?
Sep 13, 2007, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian@astro
Hi Everyone,

We are just setting up yet another open uav website. Both source code and hardware plans will be open sourced.
Hi Julian,

Great idea to share the plans & code. I discovered the ET301 GPS-UAV Development Platform on your site and I am presently developping a UAV based on these control laws. But I am already thinking of the next generation based on a 3 dof attitude IMU and you give me the answer !
By the way (if it's not impolite) who are you guys ?

Paul
Sep 22, 2007, 05:27 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
RE: Paul_BB "By the way (if it's not impolite) who are you guys ?"

I dont figure they are a offshoot of paparazzi but are hanging out in the below the radar mode of the cyber world where homeland cant see them so well but so long as they dish up usefull toys at a low eneogh saving me the problems of soldering the stuff together cant argue with that

Ralf
Sep 22, 2007, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehog
RE: Paul_BB "By the way (if it's not impolite) who are you guys ?"

I dont figure they are a offshoot of paparazzi but are hanging out in the below the radar mode of the cyber world where homeland cant see them so well but so long as they dish up usefull toys at a low eneogh saving me the problems of soldering the stuff together cant argue with that

Ralf
I agree 100% with you, but before spending a couple of 100$ I'd like to have some kind of warranty of marketable quality...

Paul
Nov 23, 2007, 03:10 AM
Thread OP
Hi Paul,

We are a UAV company that are looking at creating an open source open hardware development community for playing with/ researching low cost UAV sensors and control systems.

Julian
Nov 23, 2007, 03:13 AM
Thread OP
Hi jabbar81,

Just saw your video, very cool. Keep up the good work. Let us know if you need anything, code...

Many thanks

Julian
Nov 24, 2007, 06:25 AM
Julian,

what is the quality of the magnetometer on your board? How much do the electric currents in the board create offset and noise to the magnetometer readings? What about an electric motor in the same plane as the 6INS board?

What about IDG300? Does the large full scale range of the sensor create problems, when sensing smaller turn rates? I.e. is the small turn rate signal lost into the noise and offset voltages?

Thanks.
Dec 03, 2007, 06:58 PM

Ground Station?

Julian,

Greetings, I am not an electronics gadget solder type of guy, so I am pleased to see the offerings of completed hardware. I am part of a team and we do have a widget type fully capable of completing assembly of hardware such as the ones part of the Paparazzi project. I've spent the last few weeks trying to collect enough information for our team to begin something. We like the ground station aspect to the paparazzi, maybe I have missed it but what ground station capabilities does OpenUAV have and how does it compare to those other guys?

I really like the idea of Open Source and we all are interested in UAVs (otherwise we' wouldn't be here now), and I really like your web site, it's very polished, but I don't have the feeling that my team can just jump in and go for it.

Thanks,
Brian
Dec 15, 2007, 09:51 PM
Hi Julian

Do you have anythiing that can be used on a r/c helicopter?

Thanks
DS

Quick Reply