Apr 07, 2007, 06:53 AM
I need more ceiling!!!
Thread OP
Discussion

Kyosho Ki-61 Hein (Tony)

Okay, so I went to our monthly club meeting, which is held in Teruya-san's hobby shop, and I saw a brand new box. Apparently, Kyosho has another in the SQS line of warbirds. This time it is a Kawasaki Ki-61.

I opened the box and box, does it look sharp! I came with the retracts pre-installed and a pivoting wood block to attach the gear doors to so that when the retracts come up, the gear doors close. SWEET!

Looks to be about $260.00 here, don't know what you can get it for in the States if it's made available. Stats as best as I can remember

~55 inch span
32.5 dm2 (349.83 sq inches) wing area EDIT ~504 square inches!
Weight is 2600g or ~5.7lbs
Don't remember the length, sorry.

Here's a link to the TONY on the Japanese Kyosho site. I didn't see it on Kyosha America's site yet. And I've attached some photos to wet your appetite.

Also, it appears that Kyosho is bring back the Zero in the SQS series and also coming out with a smaller Zero EP version that looks awesome.

Sting

Here's the link for the smaller ZERO EP
Last edited by sting35; Apr 07, 2007 at 04:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2007, 06:59 AM
A 39" zero, and it looks pretty nice. I may have to try one!
Apr 07, 2007, 07:08 AM
I need more ceiling!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienx
A 39" zero, and it looks pretty nice. I may have to try one!
Here's the Translated webpage for the Zero that I should have included the first time. Oh yeah, I forgot to add the the Tony has installed split flaps. It requires 7 servos (six for EP) two aileron, two flaps, rudder, elevator. Now, how about cooling with that tight cowl?
Apr 07, 2007, 07:38 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting35
Now, how about cooling with that tight cowl?
Thanks for the New Photos sting... well new to me anyways.

As a huge fan of the KI-61 something just looks "wrong" with this one. I'm not sure if it's the Canopy... or just the paint, I just can't put my finger on it.

The smaller Zero you posted however really looks nice!

A fellow flying a larger KI-61 electric I believe used the belly scoop and some tubes to redirect ram air forward. I don't remember his handle but the fellow has a class A model for sure.

Take Care

Tommy
Apr 07, 2007, 07:54 AM
Suspended Account

Almost scale.

Tommy is so right about. " It just does not seem right from all directions. "

2 or more engined aircraft are really bad about this. " It is a little, or a lot off of scale."
Apr 07, 2007, 08:14 AM
I need more ceiling!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
Thanks for the New Photos sting... well new to me anyways.

As a huge fan of the KI-61 something just looks "wrong" with this one. I'm not sure if it's the Canopy... or just the paint, I just can't put my finger on it.

The smaller Zero you posted however really looks nice!

A fellow flying a larger KI-61 electric I believe used the belly scoop and some tubes to redirect ram air forward. I don't remember his handle but the fellow has a class A model for sure.

Take Care

Tommy
Dang Tommy, every time you say that I end up not liking the model. I don't see anything really wrong with this one though. The price of the Zero is about $149 here (don't know if it's available yet) but the Mustang electric is about the same price here and available in the US for $99 so..... hopefully the Zero will be cheaper as well.

Sting

Does look nice though, doesn't it?
Apr 07, 2007, 08:25 AM
Electricholics Anonymous
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting35
Here's the Translated webpage for the Zero that I should have included the first time. Oh yeah, I forgot to add the the Tony has installed split flaps. It requires 7 servos (six for EP) two aileron, two flaps, rudder, elevator. Now, how about cooling with that tight cowl?
Now if someone could translate the translated page for me please I read it four times and still don't understand some of the things
Mike
Apr 07, 2007, 08:26 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
I really hate to nit pick.. really I do. Afterall it sounds like they got so many things right... flaps... pre installed retracts... great for us lazy ham handed people.

You can't please everyone and I hope they sell a TON of these mind you.

There Zero looks tons better then my Nitromodels Zero... BUT I am learning a little about how to airbrush.

I say buy the KI-61 Sting if you like it... just do a nice thread on it.

Tommy
Apr 07, 2007, 09:00 AM
Suspended Account

I like it.

It looks like the Balsa cockpit needs some color to improve the appearence.

Wing loading, full house is high. If all the translations are correct.

It will be a fast landing. NO nose overs, on this one.
Apr 07, 2007, 09:33 AM
The sky is my playground.
Now those are SWEET!!
Apr 07, 2007, 04:18 PM
I need more ceiling!!!
Thread OP
Whoa! I totally screwed up the conversion from square decimeters to square inches above. It should be 503.75 square inches not, 350! I noticed the problem when I was working out the cubic wing loading. It came out to 24 oz per cubic foot. But, using the correct 504 figure, it works out to just under 14 oz / ft^3, which is about normal for a warbird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
There Zero looks tons better then my Nitromodels Zero... BUT I am learning a little about how to airbrush.

I say buy the KI-61 Sting if you like it... just do a nice thread on it.

Tommy
Yeah, I know Tommy. I wouldn't stop myself from buying it just because you didn't like it. I just meant that I usually agree with you. I must say though, you made that Nitromodels Zero look HEAPS better than stock. It looks kinda .... well... uggh in the raw form.
Last edited by sting35; Apr 07, 2007 at 04:47 PM.
Apr 07, 2007, 09:20 PM
Warbird crazy!
Hope that Ki-61 makes it to the states. That is awesome looking. A bit of detailing should make it just right. Looks like a fast airframe.

The Zero is nice too. Built up in that size is cool. I am worried about the weight though as the translated page mentioned a hippo in the same line they mentioned light weight

"The structure which designates the balsa as subject, the hippopotamus - promising quite the lightweight..."

John and Christo
Apr 15, 2007, 06:47 AM
I need more ceiling!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rc
Hope that Ki-61 makes it to the states. That is awesome looking. A bit of detailing should make it just right. Looks like a fast airframe.

The Zero is nice too. Built up in that size is cool. I am worried about the weight though as the translated page mentioned a hippo in the same line they mentioned light weight

"The structure which designates the balsa as subject, the hippopotamus - promising quite the lightweight..."

John and Christo
Looks like you get your wish. Tony on the Kyosho America site. Interestingly enough, it's under EP planes. I'm sure that must be a mistake... lol.

Sting

EDIT: No price or 'buy now' link avail yet.
Last edited by sting35; Apr 15, 2007 at 06:53 AM.
Apr 15, 2007, 09:56 AM
EB-66C Team Member
cubic wing loading????? Just checking math here from the available figures.
5.7 lbs AUW = 91 oz, 503 sq in / 144 = 3.49 sq ft. WL is 91/3.49 = 26 oz/sq ft
Still a very good WL for this size plane.

J
Apr 15, 2007, 04:55 PM
I need more ceiling!!!
Thread OP
Cubic wing loading is a way to predict how a particular model will fly at a certain size. It has to do with the fact that every time you double wing span, the wing area quadruples. For example, if you have a plane with wingspan of 12" and a wing chord of 4", you have a wing area of 48 sq", right? If you double the size of the model, the wing is now twice as long and wide at 24" x 8" but the wing AREA quadruples to 192 sq". So even if the weight of the model doubles, the larger model will feel 'floatier' or lighter on the wing.

Or, if you take it the other way and use a concrete example... the 50 size Cmp Zero has a wing loading of 27.63 oz / sq ft. and the 120 size Zero has a wing loading of 29.63 oz / sq ft. You'd think that the smaller bird would fly milder and be easier to handle. But, if you just ask anyone that's had one, you'd find out differently. If we take a look at the cubic wing loading, the smaller bird is 14.61 oz / ft^3 but the 120 size Zero's cubic wing loading is only 11.74 oz /ft^3 so it's not nearly as nasty to fly as the smaller one, even though it has more oz per SQUARE foot of wing loading.

Do a search for cubic wing loading and look for flieslikeabeagle.... he explained it best, I think.

CMP Zero 52
Wing Area 541.6
Wt 6.17 lb
Oz / sq ft 27.63
Oz / ft^3 14.61

CMP Zero 120
Wing Area 883.5
Wt 11.16 lbs
Oz / sq ft 29.63
Oz / ft^3 11.74

Sting

Quick Reply