Apr 06, 2007, 06:05 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Difficulty rating of a flying wing

If you had to rate the difficulty of different types of planes where would you rate a flying wing relative to other types of planes?

I went from flying a slow electric rudder/elevator plane straight to a Red Herring (www.liftworx.com) and recall being a bit nervous because of a lot of talk about how sensitive it is to pitch, etc... Having very little experience prior to flying the wing, I never really noticed it being very sensitive..

By no means have I 'mastered' my Herring, but I am looking for something more challenging maybe in the form of something electric? I am not interested in 3D -- thats just weird flyin'
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2007, 06:23 PM
Purples a fruit
check out hobby people and the " wild wing " its really cheap pretty tough and a good start for a cheap electric wing.
Apr 06, 2007, 06:25 PM
Purples a fruit
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/160525.asp on sale right now $19.95
Apr 06, 2007, 06:37 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Have you considered making a motor pod for the red herring? Tractor setup, battery underneath. Otherwise, my vote's for the wild wing as well, just as long as you mod it as per the ww thread. Very happy with mine.
Apr 06, 2007, 07:59 PM
Take a look at sylvanaircraft.com for a nice group of CNC cut EPP wings
Apr 06, 2007, 09:15 PM
Burrin, I would try puting a motor on your red herring. But sylair is right. I would recomend his "Frenzee" and after that is mastered get the smaller scram blur.
http://sylvanaircraft.com/index.htm
Apr 07, 2007, 05:07 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info. Cant go wrong with a $20 wing. I'm ordering one.

As for my original question... Maybe there isnt an answe but: How would you compare the difficulty of flying a wing vs other types of planes?

Is any type particularly difficult?
Apr 07, 2007, 05:37 AM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Not really different from normal planes. Thin section, high wing loading will be more difficult to fly because you need to keep it going fast. The only problem wings have is that some drop a wing if you turn too tight, too slow. This can bring on a "death spiral" which you'd better have lots of height to get out of!

Wild wing isn't too bad for this if you keep it light. Replacing the elevons with lighter stock goes a long way. Cut out the TE a bit to move the motor forward. Don't use a S400, too heavy/underpowered.
Apr 07, 2007, 07:03 AM
I bought a wing last year and discovered something that may be of interest. I researched here and saw lots of talk about a Unicorn. It is made from EPP so even after a crash, you just tape the winglets on the end and let her go again (I did that last weekend). The part that I had not realized is that you can build it full size (48 inches span) and fly it as a slow and sedate motor glider. I thermaled it in this config for a couple of days. When you are confident (or bored), cut 6 inches off each tip, put the winglets back on (or make new ones using the correct template) and fly. The mod took about 10 minutes on a bandsaw and the result was much more speed and maneuverability. The plans show a further eduction in WS to make it coocoo. I should point out that I powered mine with a small Astro brushless. I am not sure the S400 version would work with this relatively heavy wing.
I fly this wing a lot, especially when it is windy and I don't want to risk something breakable.
Vito
Apr 07, 2007, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buurin
Thanks for the info. Cant go wrong with a $20 wing. I'm ordering one.

As for my original question... Maybe there isnt an answe but: How would you compare the difficulty of flying a wing vs other types of planes?

Is any type particularly difficult?
OK now, to your question. The answer can be Yes or No. I have a large 48" wing that is a lot easier to fly than my 20" A-10. Then I have a Magpie with lots of dehydral that almost flyes its self that is so much easier to fly than my 20" wing. So I would say if your getting your first wing, make it a larger one. I find the smaller your wing the better your reflexes better be.
Apr 07, 2007, 11:38 AM
Purples a fruit
oh and since you are ordering a wild wing check out the wild wing thread ( its long!) there are a few things you need to know that are not in the instructions and also don't use the plastic tray that comes with the plane unless you shim it.

the cg in the manual is wrong unless they've changed it by now and i doubt it.

i had my wildwing running a bp 21 motor. if you build it light and cut in the motor more forward you can use a lighter battery and get it to float. butch built one and posted pics on a light set up and that could be something to give you ideas. if the wing is light it will be a much better flyer specially for learning. the lighter, the slower the plane can fly and the less damage in a wreck.

Quick Reply