Apr 05, 2007, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Unicorn on an Align 430L with 3s lipos?

Hi I'm a total wing noob. I fly helis and a little stingray flying wing from blueskyrc, and am now looking into getting a bigger wing. I've pretty much decided on a unicorn, but I'm a little lost with regards to power options so here's a few questions for anyone who owns a similar wing:

1. I want to use the Align 430L brushless motor (3550kv outrunner) and Align 35A ESC out of my helicopter and run it on 3s2p 2100's (lipos), will this setup give me good top speeds?

2. When someone talks about a motor drawing a certain amount of amps "static" I assume this means it draws more when you bolt it down because of the air resistance, so how much of a difference in amp draw is their between "static" and "in flight" tests?

3. When you go up in voltage (3s to 4s) does amp draw remain the same?

4. I noticed some people running mega 16/15/4's on 45 amp ESC's, do I need that much? How many watts do I need for a good 80-90mph (maybe 100 )?

I just want a fast plane, that's kinda what is drawing me to these big wings. If anyones had any experience with using this motor on anything other than a heli please lemme know how it went.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2007, 10:55 PM
Fly me to the moon...
1. I want to use the Align 430L brushless motor (3550kv outrunner) and Align 35A ESC out of my helicopter and run it on 3s2p 2100's (lipos), will this setup give me good top speeds?

Not familiar with that motor but the kv is a bit high! For 3s setups you usually wan't about 28-3000kv motor. For 4s somewhere from 22-2500kv.

Your motor might work but you'll prolly need a smaller prop 4.1x4.1
2. When someone talks about a motor drawing a certain amount of amps "static" I assume this means it draws more when you bolt it down because of the air resistance, so how much of a difference in amp draw is their between "static" and "in flight" tests?

Too many variables to give you an answer? Each prop is different and unloads differently. You'd need a datalogger to know for sure.
3. When you go up in voltage (3s to 4s) does amp draw remain the same?

Nope, amps go up. Using the same prop for both that is. You can use a smaller prop to get the amps close to the same.

4. I noticed some people running mega 16/15/4's on 45 amp ESC's, do I need that much? How many watts do I need for a good 80-90mph (maybe 100 )?

For a 4s setup yes you need a 45amp esc as a minimum. For a 3s setup a 25-35 amp will do. Plan on 300watts minimum with that airframe. Have'nt used that airframe but I am guessing 300 watts will get you to 80 at least, not really sure. The more the merrier

I just want a fast plane, that's kinda what is drawing me to these big wings. If anyones had any experience with using this motor on anything other than a heli please lemme know how it went.

The unicorn has a big following so it must be a descent bird. I am sure you'll be happy. The corn thread is here and its soooooo long! Hope you like to read https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hlight=unicorn
Apr 06, 2007, 10:47 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the answers! And yeah I found the corn thread, just a little too much for one night heh.

I'd love to hear from someone with actual experience using this motor on a wing or plank of some sort, or from anyone with a fast wing and something to say.
Apr 06, 2007, 10:59 PM
Supra!!!!!!
I am using my align 430 L on my wild wing with speeds over 80 MPH
Apr 07, 2007, 12:16 AM
I B Chargin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormyalon
anyone with a fast wing and something to say.
Starting on post 135 of https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=196780&page=9 I did a build copying CK's Ritewing ideas, basically, and applied them to the Unicorn. Was gunned at well over 100 mph. Those results could be duplicated with a $60 HET 4 wind motor. You'd have to up all the other electronics though
Apr 08, 2007, 01:20 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
I feel your week point is in the esc your system will run over 35amps depending on prop. We need more info depending on your prop size. I hope you have a watt meter to test ampdraw. Robert
Apr 08, 2007, 09:57 PM
Big 3D
I run that very motor on my microjet. With a 4.1x4.1 APC it pulls 26 amps. On a 4.75x4/75 it pulls 32amps. Seems really fast, guestamated at 75-90mph depending on prop. That is 3 cell BTW.
Apr 09, 2007, 12:46 AM
Thread OP
Jamin: Thanks that's just what I wanted to hear, looks like I can get away with it after all. How hot does your 430l get on your microjet? That 430l is a real cooker but goin that fast I could see if it came down cool.

It nearly blows up in my heli, so same question to anyone using the 430l in a fixed wing, does it get hot zippin around at 100mph?
Apr 09, 2007, 06:37 AM
It will work, but it won't be fast. The problem is that you won't have enough thrust to push a Unicorn very fast; the pitch speed will be high, though. There is a big difference in drag between a 24" microjet and a 48" Unicorn. I flew my Slinger on a 2800KV align (also 48") and it was OK with a 5x3 cox prop. It got a lot faster when I switched to a 1800KV Align and a 7x5 prop. The difference is thrust to push the wing. That is why they use the Mega/Warp/HETrc motors- they also use 6" - 7" props to get thrust and pitch speed.

The better use for that motor is a gearbox and a bigger prop in a fixed wing. It will do 11K rpm in a 3.33:1 GB with an APC 8x6e prop on 4s.
Apr 09, 2007, 08:39 AM
Big 3D
Mine comes in cool. I also agree with makarov about the different motor size and propping. Might be cheaper to get a different airframe.
Apr 10, 2007, 12:21 AM
Thread OP
Yeah I kinda got the feeling it wouldn't be enough, but it was sooo cheap ($35 in a heli combo) I think I'll have to throw one together and see for myself. I've already got the motor, and corns are only 65 bucks!!! Should definitely be high fun factor for the money.

You airplane guys seem to like math a whole lot more than heli guys. I think they'd rather watch bob do a piro flip.

If anyone knows a good website that has the formulas for determining prop speed (er was it pitch speed? heh) and thrust and will also answer any other questions I might have pertaining to efficient motor setup I'd greatly appreciate it.

Quick Reply