This thread is privately moderated by feathermerchant, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 12, 2007, 11:26 PM
ExtremeFlight - 3DHS - Legacy
Auw?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2007, 11:25 AM
Use the 4S Luke
Thread OP
I have a 20lb cap scale on order. The 5lb'er is not doing the job anymore.
About the time you posted I recalced weight based on individual weights of parts and a small amount of ciphering to acount for the added motor weight and reduced pack weight. I still came up with 12.7lb
If the power is ~1700W then it may hover on the 20X8 but at 60A the controller may not last long. I don't really want to hover this thing anyway so not a big deal. I think it should fly well. If I can find cf gear, wing tube, and stab tube, then I may be able to get it to 12lb.
Do you think steel wire gear would be lighter than cf? Probably 3/16" in two pieces fore (as the axle) and aft wrapped and soldered. Eliminates axles and hardware but I'll need a plate to bolt it to the fuse.
Apr 13, 2007, 08:15 PM
Wire gear would be so ugly....

Hey, flew the CS today on Hyperion 4025-12, PHX80, 17X8E, 6S5000 TPX. Plenty of pull out of hover! Plane is *perfect* now. Actually got up the courage to grab the rudder in hover. Fun!
Apr 13, 2007, 09:33 PM
fm,

very nice!! please let us all know how your girl flys.

Well done!
John
Apr 13, 2007, 09:35 PM
Use the 4S Luke
Thread OP
It is still raining here and forecast is for 25mph winds tomorrow.
So it's on.
Apr 14, 2007, 06:54 PM
Maiden yet? It's 25 mph and I'm still going to try to get a maiden in if it falls below 15 this evening.
Apr 14, 2007, 07:24 PM
Use the 4S Luke
Thread OP
Nope. I decided to be smart and wait. Probally tomorrow pm.
Will start with CG at rear of tube OK?
Apr 14, 2007, 08:31 PM
That's where I have mine, but then I like viciously tail-heavy airplanes.

Tried to maiden mine, should have used the dog motor, instead I used bob's motor and it failed during wattmetering. I'm changing motors now. Getting too close to SEFF to be messing around with this stuff!
Last edited by blucor basher; Apr 14, 2007 at 08:48 PM.
Apr 14, 2007, 09:05 PM
BOSS
Awesome!!
Apr 14, 2007, 09:20 PM
Use the 4S Luke
Thread OP
Oh no! What was the last known reading? I thought that thing was good for 5kW or so.
Did the doggy ESC survive?

OK so I won't Wattmeter mine just fly it.
Apr 15, 2007, 01:35 AM
J Z - Thanks!

FM - It was a *mechanical* failure. Scared the poop out of me. I thought I had shed a blade for a sec. See why I like aluminum angle everywhere?
Apr 15, 2007, 07:47 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
That "K" is looking SWEEEET Ben!! Hope you are able to get it up and flying before SEFF.

Tim
Apr 15, 2007, 08:32 AM
I used to be all thumbs...
Yes.. those are some nice looking birds.. That's to bad about the motor not working out. When you say mechanical, I take you mean that it wasn't a winding that burned? Did it destruct or just flat out fail?

Don't ask why, but I'm always interested in the different ways motors fail... I guess there's still some of that kid with a magnifying glass looking for ants left in me...

Looking forward to some flight reports, and maybe a vid...
Apr 15, 2007, 01:22 PM
Use the 4S Luke
Thread OP
Sounds like it went way out of balance. Shed a magnet? That usually takes the controller. Bad things can happen real fast and are just more dangerous on these large power systems. I never put myself or anyone else in front of the plane once it's plugged in.
K is in truck along with a couple of warmup planes - Light streak, Gride and Aspera.
Waiting for kids to get up and showered and take my son out to eat for his birthday.
What are they thinking sleeping to noon? Oh well they'll soon be off on their own...
Apr 15, 2007, 01:27 PM
Sweet! Good luck. Maybe I'll get to report back today, too.

Quick Reply