Apr 04, 2007, 08:05 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Cheap PCB manufacturer

Hello all

If you have used a reliable and cheap PCB manufacuter before please share it.

I have used advanced circuits before, they are reliable produce good quality but expensive. They Charge extra $50 for step and repeat which is an essential feature for me since my circuits are really small.

I am always looking for cheaper ones but they are hard to find

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2007, 09:25 PM
I have friends that use olimex and say they are good.

I have so far resisted and stayed with a local Aussie firm despite expense
Apr 04, 2007, 10:24 PM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=andrewm1973]I have friends that use olimex and say they are good.

I have so far resisted and stayed with a local Aussie firm despite expense[/QU

Olimex is cheap. Thanks for sharing!
Apr 05, 2007, 02:58 AM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
I use Advanced Circuits for my boards at work, but for my hobby boards I use Olimex. They are much cheaper, and the quality is good.

Here is another one that I have been meaning to try for small prototype boards. http://www.batchpcb.com They are a part of www.sparkfun.com which has a lot of interesting products.
Apr 05, 2007, 07:21 AM
I use www.apcircuits.com for cheap boards. I usually do my own step and repeat so they just send me big slabs of board that I cut apart. VERY cheap this way.

Advanced is good too, but more expensive.

Andy
Apr 05, 2007, 08:59 AM
I use PCBFabExpress and they are cheap and good quality.
Apr 05, 2007, 10:32 AM
Retired CAD guy
Xpresspcb did some stepper motor with atmel contrl boards for me.

They have a "Standard" size that IF you can stay inside it
will get you 3 brds for ~ $50 plated thru holes et al .

Free SW download and a big library of components.

with smaller brds if you can get em to fint inside the STD size then
you can achieve multiples by cutting them apart.

just "Get Creative" , ya know
Apr 05, 2007, 03:10 PM
I have also used PCBfabexpress for a personal project.
We use ExpressPCB all the time at work for proto boards.

Matt
Apr 06, 2007, 03:53 PM
Thread OP
That's some Great info. Thank you all
Apr 06, 2007, 04:15 PM
York Electronics
Try EzPcb, I use them. Mainland China. For medium to large volume they are tuff to beat - as low as 8 cents per square inch with most all normal options. No setup fees and they check your work for obvious errors. They have a calculator on the web site that they stand behind. Best PCB's I've seen. Not many low-end options, but when their 'normal' PCB's include all the 'options' of the other guys at their 'normal' price.

Only fees not on the calculator are shipping and a small PayPal fee.

EzPcb

Shoot, I see they now charge $50 'tooling fee'. I bet I can talk them out of this fee as a previouse customer.
Last edited by Gary Warner; Apr 06, 2007 at 04:26 PM.
Apr 09, 2007, 01:45 AM
I doubt you could beat this price - http://www.goldphoenixpcb.biz/special_price.php

I've had several boards made up and the quality is really good. Cheap shipping and no tooling costs. The special price is always available regardless of what the website says - just ask.

This is the same company Sparkfun use and a lot cheaper if you can make use of the minimum board sizes,

Tony
Apr 09, 2007, 11:16 AM
York Electronics
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirsty
I doubt you could beat this price - http://www.goldphoenixpcb.biz/special_price.php

I've had several boards made up and the quality is really good. Cheap shipping and no tooling costs. The special price is always available regardless of what the website says - just ask.

This is the same company Sparkfun use and a lot cheaper if you can make use of the minimum board sizes,

Tony
This is an example of the current price comparison between EZPCB and Global Phoenix:

My PCB's 1.2x1.33", 2 sided (yadi-yadi) std type, 500 pieces

EZPCB:
500 pieces
V-scored, 20 pieces per pcb
25 PCB's
Total price (all fees, setup, ship, etc - price not quoted by the number of physical pcb's shipped but by Sq cm) $271.00
Total cost per PCB $0.542 Each

Global:
446 pieces (inflexible about size at 155 sq. in. - a touch of waist, but not much)
V-scored, 92 pieces per pcb
5 PCB's
Total price (all fees, setup, etc. at $89.99 per pcb) $449.95
Total cost per pcb $0.978 Each

Global is almost twice EZ's price. Did I miss something wrong in the calculations? I'm always looking for a better deal and would love to get cheaper than what EZ sells them for. If I'm wrong PLEASE let me know - I can't afford to 'leave money sitting on the table'.

Gary
--
Apr 09, 2007, 11:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Warner
This is an example of the current price comparison between EZPCB and Global Phoenix:

My PCB's 1.2x1.33", 2 sided (yadi-yadi) std type, 500 pieces

EZPCB:
500 pieces
V-scored, 20 pieces per pcb
25 PCB's
Total price (all fees, setup, ship, etc - price not quoted by the number of physical pcb's shipped but by Sq cm) $271.00
Total cost per PCB $0.542 Each

Global:
446 pieces (inflexible about size at 155 sq. in. - a touch of waist, but not much)
V-scored, 92 pieces per pcb
5 PCB's
Total price (all fees, setup, etc. at $89.99 per pcb) $449.95
Total cost per pcb $0.978 Each

Global is almost twice EZ's price. Did I miss something wrong in the calculations? I'm always looking for a better deal and would love to get cheaper than what EZ sells them for. If I'm wrong PLEASE let me know - I can't afford to 'leave money sitting on the table'.

Gary
--
Gary, double check olimax's pricings! they maybe cheaper
Apr 09, 2007, 02:30 PM
York Electronics
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky79
Gary, double check olimax's pricings! they maybe cheaper
I found the pricing of $132.00 USD for 12.6" x 7.8" (98.28 sq. in.) plus $8.00 USD shipping. That would yield about 60 PCB's at 1.6 sq. in. each. for $140 USD or about $2.33 each board. EZPCB is over 4 times cheaper than olimax at $0.542 each.

Don't let the discussion end here - I REALLY want to find cheaper PCB's if possible.
Apr 09, 2007, 07:31 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Gary,
Olimex takes 20% off repeat orders for the same board since they don't have to redo the tooling.

Also, you are comparing fixed proto prices to a production quote from EZPCB. You might try sending your files to Olimex for a quote. Don't think they would be cheaper than EZPCB, but you never can tell.

I do like the fact that EZPCB has online real time quotes. Makes it easy to play "what if". For the 100 of my 1.5 sq in boards that I was initially planning to order, it comes out cheaper from GoldPhoenix. If I go with 200, it comes out cheaper from EZPCB. I would imagine EZ would not charge the tooling on repeat orders for the same board.

Jeff

PS EZ also seems to have good prices on stencils. Have you tried ordering a stencil from them?

Quick Reply