Feb 11, 2011, 04:45 PM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
I've not done TV on either of the Su-37s that I have built...just a single motor. But I have done it with my own X-42 design.

Having said that, I have a DX7 and use a 6ch Rx. I use similar mixes as a TV setup would use, because I have flapperons and elevons configured...just like the real thing. cmala built a single motor version recently and only used elevons and had a really good roll rate...it just comes down to what your control surface throws are. This design is very flexible and adaptable and will probably handle any mod you throw at it.

It probably would be fine with elevons or conventional ailerons/elevator with TV only on pitch. You should do it and let us know how well it works out!
Latest blog entry: New T-One Mini Turbine...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2011, 08:03 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Nice job there so far! I mix WBPU and baby powder at about 50/50 ratio. I then use a big brush to apply it over several coats. Then most of it get sanded-off leaving a very smooth finish.
Latest blog entry: New T-One Mini Turbine...
Feb 15, 2011, 02:19 PM
I'll try that. Adding water to the spackle I'm using doesn't work too well. When applying it the water squeezes out really easily leaving clumpy spackle.
Feb 15, 2011, 11:14 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Looking good, davidgp! Shaping and sanding the wing/body fairing isn't easy, is it? Excellent work shaping everything so far.

Steve
Feb 16, 2011, 04:24 AM
Foam Av8r
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgp
I'll try that. Adding water to the spackle I'm using doesn't work too well. When applying it the water squeezes out really easily leaving clumpy spackle.
you have to keep mixing/stirring until all the clumps are gone.
Feb 16, 2011, 09:35 PM

Thrust vectoring

I am building an Su-37 and I have a radio with only 4 mixes. I noticed there is an external v-tail mixer that Hobby King sells that converts al and el inputs to v-tail. Seems like it could be used to mix the two motor ESCs if you connected the elevator input to the throttle channel and the al input to the rudder channel. Has anyone ever tried this?
Feb 17, 2011, 01:41 PM
I have one of the HobbyKing mixers and it reacts pretty slowly. It was too slow to use with a roll gyro feeding two elevons. The plane rocked side to side a few times a second. It may be ok for a throttle to rudder mix, though. In fact, it's probably fine if you aren't using a gyro. Manual control inputs will happen at a much slower rate.

The v-tail mixes aileron to elevator AND elevator to aileron. I think that means you would also get a throttle to rudder mix. If that is the case I would use a mixer to drive the elevons and mix the throttle - rudder in the radio.
Feb 17, 2011, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Looking good, davidgp! Shaping and sanding the wing/body fairing isn't easy, is it? Excellent work shaping everything so far.

Steve
I haven't figured out how to mount the canopy yet. The 6mm kit instrutions say to glue the two canopy base pieces together. The only canopy base I can find are four pieces that match the top of the fuse at the canopy location. I'll try to get some pics of this.
Feb 19, 2011, 09:29 PM
For baby powder and WBPU is the cornstarch based powder the right stuff?
Feb 20, 2011, 03:41 PM
customstandoffs
talc is what I've always used
Feb 22, 2011, 12:40 PM
rcflyer
would it be best to make it out of grey or white depron?
Thanks
Jim
Feb 22, 2011, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Hello, alex1754. No worries on your English. For a twin motor setup, I would recommend two microjet V3 motors. For a single motor setup, I recommend the Grayson Super MegaJet V2. Either should work well with a 2200 mAh 20C battery. Good luck!

Steve
Dear Steve! Dear colleagues! Unfortunately, I have no a capability to receive a motor for Su-37 from graysonhobby on Ukraine. Please, will advise replacement of motors Super MegaJet V2:
BC2826-6 2200KV Outrunner
from http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...gcat=45&gtype=
Or HiModel 2200KV from http://www.himodel.com/electric/HiMo...e_A2212_6.html
Feb 23, 2011, 05:01 AM
Alex both of those motors should suit the plane well. I have ordered similar motors from Himodel before, they were of good quality and seem to be on par with the Grayson motors. I also have a couple of Grayson motors.

Good luck!

Helge
Feb 26, 2011, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgp
I have one of the HobbyKing mixers and it reacts pretty slowly. It was too slow to use with a roll gyro feeding two elevons. The plane rocked side to side a few times a second. It may be ok for a throttle to rudder mix, though. In fact, it's probably fine if you aren't using a gyro. Manual control inputs will happen at a much slower rate.

The v-tail mixes aileron to elevator AND elevator to aileron. I think that means you would also get a throttle to rudder mix. If that is the case I would use a mixer to drive the elevons and mix the throttle - rudder in the radio.
The reason I was wanting to mix throttle and rudder and do elevons in the radio was so I could put thrust vector servos on a switch. Seems that would give me a little more control.

Quick Reply