Biplane Lovers Delight - GWS PT-17 Stearman - Page 4 - RC Groups
May 08, 2007, 02:29 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
I could've sworn I've read it in one of these threads somewhere, but I can't find it.

Has anyone ever tried a HL 400XT brushless on one of these bipes? I have a couple extra ones lying around, and I would prefer DD to gearboxes.

Rick
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2007, 02:32 PM
Foam abuser!
Rick,

I use that in my TM400 with an APC 8X6SF prop, Castle T-bird 18 ESC and a 3S 1300 lipo. Works great, but the plane needed lots of ballast in the nose to balance properly. But it still flies great, although landings are a little on the fast side.

Pat
May 08, 2007, 02:44 PM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
I could've sworn I've read it in one of these threads somewhere, but I can't find it.

Has anyone ever tried a HL 400XT brushless on one of these bipes? I have a couple extra ones lying around, and I would prefer DD to gearboxes.

Rick
Rick,

Very nice Motor (400XT) but, this GWS PT-17 Stearman needs nose weight and the existing Brushless power system that my Stearman flys with (Hyperion HP-X22L 3900) provides very good power while swinging the GWS HD 1170 propeller and TP-2100, 3-cell, Li-POLYs.

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=5133

At 100 grams for the motor/gearbox, this 3.7oz. up front really helps and I can slow her down to a crawl like my Slow Stick.

Carlos
Nov 14, 2014, 05:30 AM
Right Rudder
Well, guys......

After perhaps over 6 years, I gave my beloved GWS Stearman away to a good buddy so, he can enjoy it.

I was not flying it anymore and it was just hanging collecting DUST, lots of DUST.

Anyway, hope some of you out there are still enjoying yours.

Pitts. (formerly guapoman2000).
Jul 28, 2016, 06:13 PM
For Fox Sake

Ordered one yesterday GWS PT17

A buddy gave me a GWS PT 17. Just wings, fuse and coffee stir struts. Heavily used/repaired. I first flew it on a 370 brushless but later pining for more power I put a 28/30 sort of size motor scrounged from a crashed C47 a fellow flier had. A big one... Dynam I think. 1500 3s lipos. Now the plane rocks so much i had to add more carbon fiber sticks to wings. Now I get to make one from the kit. Check out the video.
Radio Controlled GWS PT 17 July 23 (1 min 11 sec)
Jul 28, 2016, 06:31 PM
Right Rudder
Awesome Model, and Flying!

Thanks for sharing and rekindle this thread!
Jul 28, 2016, 07:35 PM
For Fox Sake

Its my favorite to fly which is why I bought another.

I have many RC planes. The GWS PT17 is my favorite. I have 3 and 1 more on the way. Here's some RC plane pics.
Oct 04, 2016, 06:46 PM
For Fox Sake

Strengthen GWS PT 17 yet remained lighter than previous one

On my second PT17 GWS. This one from a kit, previous one already assembled by someone.

The strut discs I drilled short tiny holes in them dead center to insert headless (cutoff) screw threads to bite deep into foam when glueing. like a center threaded pin. not too deep in disc......Also scratched up contact areas real good with xacto. Scuff up the foam. Epoxy here.

Center (fuselage) plastic struts reinforced with fine music wire looped on each end for screw to pass through. Secured to strut well with tape but the eyes in the wire and screws do the job. This way you can BEND the struts to meet the angle of the discs. This will require refitting of outer struts as it lowers the upper wing a bit. It worked for me.

Carbon fiber strip on edge in upper wing (bottom side)

Upgraded to nylon live hinges and extra one on rudder.

Stout firewall of ply epoxied on good

Put 28/30 brushless on standoffs made from Dubro wheel collars to get weight forward. Also used a electric prop and collet which was a heavier design and a cone. Balance is almost perfect now with a fake motor to put in. Photograph of radial likely......

Cowl made from bleach bottle.....

Upgraded horns for elevator and rudder.

Running 1300's and came out at 630 grams. 110 grams lighter than the used PT17 on 1500's

E calc says 1.4 to 1 Power to weight with 10x5 prop. I'm confident.

E calc says 10 minutes mixed flight. I'll set for 7 as I used to.

I seldom fly in more than 5 mph wind as almost daily we get a slack wind for last 2 hours of light.... Just pick the best days with no storms or rain.

Heres me flying the other day
Fly radio control Sept 30 (4 min 37 sec)