Apr 04, 2007, 08:38 AM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusky
Oh no... rudder elevator only! Thats very sad. I've never bothered to buy the Sig foam WWI models because they are rudder elevator only.
It really depends on your perspective and most importantly your expectations on a "SCALE" faomie.

Take example of my GWS PT-17 Stearman as this thread was created. The fact that my Stearman turns with Rudder is a very true statement and I hardly use Ailerons while putt putting around the field during calm conditions and making her look scale and like the full size aircraft. When I do use ailerons, I do use Rudder so she turns without any tail swag and during windy conditions.

My suggestive comments about my buddy's Dymond Bucker Jungmeister is a perfect example of just Rudder and Elevator dymanic Sport model and without any ailerons. Gerry my buddy tried ailerons and they were not that effective on a model already with the right amount of dehidral and not to mention the added weight. I have had myself the HERR ENGINEERING MINI-SPORT (you can look it up under my Handle in case you are interested) and that little model could turn like it was on rails and the speed was spectacular. After I landed the Mini-Sport at the Club, everyone was shocked and amazed that it was just Rudder and Elevator control.

My expectations is to have GWS concentrate on a very good airframe like Dymond did several years ago to have it fly very well with just the right amount of performance - manners but, to keep it scale. The fact that it does not have ailerons is really the best for avoiding added weight and complexity.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2007, 02:41 PM
Registered APE
....and something that fits into the car without the need to remove wing
Apr 04, 2007, 04:00 PM
The art of Crashing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patbull
AWESOME PLANE! that's the nicest PT17 i've ever seen
Beautiful paintjob too....what brand/colors did you use for this bird?
Many thanks and enjoy flying this beauty

Patrick
If you were referring to my plane, Thanks Pat! I used testors, model masters, tamaya paints. All from the can, I've got to get an air brush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Hi Bandit,

Your Stearman is more than great ! The engine, landing gear and dihedral ...
Would you post photos like what guapoman did.

Hi Roger,

Flying two more biplanes in the air would be more fantastic but needs a better way to fly them.

Chen
Thanks Chen, I'll try to get some photos of the maiden flight. You know a tripple wing would be a nice project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patbull
....and something that fits into the car without the need to remove wing
Oh...that would be nice. But not too small, or it will be batted around in the wind too much.
Apr 04, 2007, 04:04 PM
Account closed
Yes Bandit,

Very nice Stearman indeed!

She is so good looking....to fly it in nothing but perfect wind conditions is something I would consider

She is Beautiful
Apr 04, 2007, 04:25 PM
The art of Crashing
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Yes Bandit,

Very nice Stearman indeed!

She is so good looking....to fly it in nothing but perfect wind conditions is something I would consider

She is Beautiful
Thank you, it's nice to see the results of your time and effort be appreciated by others. I wouldn't think of taking her up in much wind at all. I might just wait for summer for the maiden, I think I would be too nervous right now to take her up. Or else I could find someone as experienced with this plane as yourself to take her up for a photo shoot.

I'm considering making a second one using that blue that you have on your plane. That's a really sharp color, what did you use?
Apr 04, 2007, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit
Thanks Pat! Guapoman...I love that dark blue. Here's some shots of my finished project...I added a door to the battery compartment, the window sits right on top of it. Here's a few shots of the finished plane. I hope that GWS makes a Fokker in a 35"-40" wingspan size...that would just be perfect.
I have to agree that is the nicest looking GWS PT-17 I have ever seen. Did you bend your own landing gear? They seem to intersect the fuse a little farther up and out, and also seem to extend down a little further...
Apr 04, 2007, 04:52 PM
Account closed
I am looking up the paint that I used on my Stearman....thought that I mentioned it in my long closed thread but, noooooo!

In the meantime take a look at Rob Mason's Stearman...he installed a brushless and four ailerons (Super Strearman ) this thing could do knife edge 4 feet off the ground....well all I can say is that he does not have it anymore...I wonder why!???

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=103

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=104
Apr 04, 2007, 04:57 PM
Here is a pic of mine from a while back. I think the colors might be pretty close to what you're looking for.

Testor's Yellow and Testor's Gloss Blue.
Apr 04, 2007, 05:01 PM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit
I'm considering making a second one using that blue that you have on your plane. That's a really sharp color, what did you use?
Here you go.......please visit:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=135

Apr 06, 2007, 05:27 AM
just a rumour
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Gluing 1.5mm (1/16") depron sheets under its wings, then you
could add aileron control on them easily.

Chen
Thanks CHEN, I assume then that they will have under camber wings like the Pico TM? I was hoping for construction along the lines of the TM400 and PT17. But as the great philosopher Jagger once said, “You can’t always get what you want.”

Thanks for your input Guapoman. My first RC plane was a T-Hawk (call them align skywave over here). RE only and it performs exceptionally well, really enjoy flying it.
Last edited by Drusky; Apr 06, 2007 at 05:38 AM.
Apr 07, 2007, 12:40 AM
The art of Crashing
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43
I have to agree that is the nicest looking GWS PT-17 I have ever seen. Did you bend your own landing gear? They seem to intersect the fuse a little farther up and out, and also seem to extend down a little further...
Thanks Malibu, the landing gear is in it's stock location and form.

Thanks for the paint codes gents.
May 05, 2007, 07:44 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
I'm about to get started on my GWS PT-17 that I've had stashed away for at least two years now. , and I have a question for Mr. Bandit on the nose of his modified Stearman.

Did you make a cowl to extend the nose out a bit for the Dare radial? It looks as if you've got some sort of cowl on there to extend the nose and hide your motor.

What size radial did you order from Dare Hobby? The one you have looks perfectly sized, and i want to be sure to order the same one.

Gorgeous effort on your Stearman.

Rick
May 05, 2007, 08:08 PM
Account closed
Bandit,

Looking at your pictures again of your wonderful Stearman, those struts...are they popcicle stick (Coffeee Stirrers?)...

Seems like a reasonable way to enhance the strength of the overall airframe and wing alignment using these sticks....

Carlos
May 06, 2007, 11:58 AM
The art of Crashing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
I'm about to get started on my GWS PT-17 that I've had stashed away for at least two years now. , and I have a question for Mr. Bandit on the nose of his modified Stearman.

Did you make a cowl to extend the nose out a bit for the Dare radial? It looks as if you've got some sort of cowl on there to extend the nose and hide your motor.

What size radial did you order from Dare Hobby? The one you have looks perfectly sized, and i want to be sure to order the same one.

Gorgeous effort on your Stearman.

Rick
Thanks Rick! I cut a section from a styrofoam cup ( cup o noodles or similar) to space the motor out. Which works out fine, because there's a chrome/metal ring in that spot on the real stearman. I believe I used the 3 -1/2 in. radial engine (measure the diameter to double check my info.). I bought two and glued them together for a more complete look. I bought a few...the 9 cylinder is going in my corsair.
May 06, 2007, 12:05 PM
The art of Crashing
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Bandit,

Looking at your pictures again of your wonderful Stearman, those struts...are they popcicle stick (Coffeee Stirrers?)...

Seems like a reasonable way to enhance the strength of the overall airframe and wing alignment using these sticks....

Carlos
Actually Carlos, those struts are hand cut from mahogony wood. I wanted a darker, more "vintage" wood than the popsicle sticks. I also ran the struts through a plane to make them a little thinner, so the screws will go through them. Some have mentioned that the popsicle sticks are too thick for the stock screws to go through. It makes the wing extremely sturdy, the wings are also fiberglassed.