Biplane Lovers Delight - GWS PT-17 Stearman - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 02, 2007, 06:44 PM
Foam abuser!
I have the TM400, but no PT as of yet. I may have to break down and get one (as if I didn't already have enough planes in the queue, 4 of which are GWS birds ).

Carlos and Bandit, nice looking birds!

Pat
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2007, 11:40 PM
Account closed
Pat,

Thanks!

Well, I finally painted my GWS Hyper 1170 propeller and the Stearman looks even better! Acrylic Paints with Beaver Brush!
Apr 03, 2007, 12:09 AM
Nice Stearman !
Apr 03, 2007, 03:26 PM
The art of Crashing
Thanks Pat! Guapoman...I love that dark blue. Here's some shots of my finished project...I added a door to the battery compartment, the window sits right on top of it. Here's a few shots of the finished plane. I hope that GWS makes a Fokker in a 35"-40" wingspan size...that would just be perfect.
Apr 03, 2007, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit
I hope that GWS makes a Fokker in a 35"-40" wingspan size...that would just be perfect.
I second that opinion. A 35-40 inch Fokker triplane would be a wonderful addition to my PT-17 and Tigermoth 400.

Though I can't resist multi-wing planes so no matter what they release in large size, if it has more than one wing, I'll buy it
Apr 03, 2007, 07:12 PM
Foam abuser!
I'm not sure about a DR1, but I'm pretty sure Ray or Chen have said they are working on a DVII. Maybe a Sopwith as well.

Pat
Apr 03, 2007, 08:54 PM
Registered APE
AWESOME PLANE! that's the nicest PT17 i've ever seen
Beautiful paintjob too....what brand/colors did you use for this bird?
Many thanks and enjoy flying this beauty

Patrick
Apr 04, 2007, 01:03 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
I'm not sure about a DR1, but I'm pretty sure Ray or Chen have said they are working on a DVII. Maybe a Sopwith as well.

Pat
If you apply the standard GWS rule (I'm being unkind here ) of "what are the competitors making so we can have one too" I'd put my money on a Curtiss Jenny (to please the US customer) and a Fokker DVII (because everyone does them - so it'll be bright red too). I must admit I'm struggling with the third one because as you've said a Sopwith has been talked about and apart from the no-longer-produced Wattage Camel (which was a dog, ask me how I know this) no-one else does it (in EPS). No-one does a foamy SE5A either since Scorpio stopped producing theirs but the SE5A has a longer nose moment and would probably be easier to trim in pitch than the Camel. I'd love to see a DRI in the same size as the TM400 and PT17 (and an Albatros) but I'm not holding my breath. I really don't care too much- I just wish we could see some pictures of whatever is coming and get an idea of when because I'm sure I'll have to have them!.

I just bought a Scorpio Nieuport because it was in an end of line sale at about $40 - they retailed in the UK at over $100 and wow am I glad I didn't pay full retail! (actually I'm glad I didn't pay half retail - at $40 its OK!). I'm sure GWS will do much much much better! See https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185945 but bear in mind it was written six years ago since when foamies have moved on more than a little!! Although..............it did have water slide decals even then - GWS isn't in front in everything!!
Apr 04, 2007, 01:11 AM
AMA#900532
This thread is really making me want one of these.. I wanted one before but now I'm in trouble!
Apr 04, 2007, 01:32 AM
Confused? Who, me?
I hope the obvious enthusiasm encourages Mr Lin to bring a big bipe (as in TM400/PT-17 size) into the range because built to GWS "second generation" standards it would be a market beater - I'm not too bothered what it is - just any classic bipe. Anybody who hasn't flown a bipe may not have a feel for the atmosphere they have about them and the character. I was flying my TM400 at the club field and two people came up separately and said "You know, you can't beat a biplane for looks in the air" and that's it.
Apr 04, 2007, 01:59 AM
Hi Bandit,

Your Stearman is more than great ! The engine, landing gear and dihedral ...
Would you post photos like what guapoman did.

Hi Roger,

Flying two more biplanes in the air would be more fantastic but needs a better way to fly them.

Chen
Apr 04, 2007, 05:15 AM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Hi Bandit,

Your Stearman is more than great ! The engine, landing gear and dihedral ...
Would you post photos like what guapoman did.

Hi Roger,

Flying two more biplanes in the air would be more fantastic but needs a better way to fly them.

Chen
I would highly recommend the BUCKER JUNGMEISTER as it is a cross between a Tiger Moth and a PITTs when it comes to performance in the air!

Dymound RC had one certain foam model of 40 inch wing span that came with just Rudder and Elevator some years ago as they do not offer it anymore but, I recall that my buddy bought one and it was that real light and smooth foam similar like ALPHA MODELs and it flew like it had ailerons, just super snap rolls, spins, hammper heads etc... with just R/E.

I wish someone can bring out this Bucker Jungmeister because it has better manners than a PITT but, can perform better than a Tiger Moth when it comes to Sport Arobatics!

Here's Gerry's Scratch Built project using Blue Cor by Dow and Corning!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...er+jungmeister

Now he is trying to finish up (I have been after him for over a year to finish) this wonder project using Balsa and Lite Ply!!!! Perhaps some of you can help me cheer him on to finish?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&page=1&pp=10

Here's a Bucker Jungmann project of Gerry's (Simano) that he converted from a GWS Tiger Moth pico!
http://media.putfile.com/Bucker-Jungmann-69

http://media.putfile.com/Bucker-Jungmann
Apr 04, 2007, 06:28 AM
Hi Guapoman,

Thank you for these links, they are very nice.

All coming GWS new Bipes will not be with ailerons, while TM400
came with ailerons. They'd be slightly smaller than TM400, oh, may be one of them would be as big as TM400. They will certainly be bigger than Pico TM.

Chen
Apr 04, 2007, 07:03 AM
just a rumour
Oh no... rudder elevator only! Thats very sad. I've never bothered to buy the Sig foam WWI models because they are rudder elevator only.
Apr 04, 2007, 07:24 AM
Gluing 1.5mm (1/16") depron sheets under its wings, then you
could add aileron control on them easily.

Chen