Apr 01, 2007, 08:22 PM
Account closed
Yippee!

Biplane Lovers Delight - GWS PT-17 Stearman

Okay, it's nice to read up on all the new stuff and future RC Models that GWS has and will bring out. Some models might have already appeared and some might not come out for sometime.

But, lets celebrate in the joy of those GWS Models that has been out for a while and are just as nice looking and most importantly a JOY to fly!

I have a long thread that has since closed and this PT-17 Stearman is almost 4 years old and still going strong! The following thread depicts mostly a concentration of nothing but, various Speed 400 in gearbox form but, the maiden was performed with the none other than the Astro Flight 010, 14-turn Brushless motor.

NOW, it has flown with the HYPERION X22L-3900 in 4.5:1 ratio gearbox and swinging the GWS Hyper 1170 propeller. Also, with the added power, I had to epoxy some Coffee Stirrers next to the plastic struts to provide a little more structure re-enforcement and keep the biplane wing angle incident correct in all manuvers!

Power System:
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=5133

and Brushless ESC:
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=5135

Here's my GWS PT-17 Stearman Build Thread, it's closed so, if you happen to have any questions....please post them here or PM me.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164552

Okay, some recent in-Flight pictures of my GWS PT-17 Stearman!
Last edited by guapoman2000; Apr 01, 2007 at 09:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2007, 08:46 PM
Looks good! I was going to get one a while back but it seemed like there weren't any discussions about it. Maybe they were just popular when they came out and people had moved on by the time I saw it.

You've got a good photographer there!
Apr 01, 2007, 08:50 PM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienx
Looks good! I was going to get one a while back but it seemed like there weren't any discussions about it. Maybe they were just popular when they came out and people had moved on by the time I saw it.

You've got a good photographer there!
Thanks for those kind words.

My Photographer is Gerry Rivera (a.k.a., SIMANO)

Yeap, all you see here in the top of these threads is the anticipated "new" models that GWS is about to come out "or" models that have just recently came out.

Try to visit my build thread....I know it's rather big 500 posts but, it has some really good tips and trail and errors in case you do decide to buy this beauty!
Apr 01, 2007, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Thanks for those kind words.

My Photographer is Gerry Rivera (a.k.a., SIMANO)

Yeap, all you see here in the top of these threads is the anticipated "new" models that GWS is about to come out "or" models that have just recently came out.

Try to visit my build thread....I know it's rather big 500 posts but, it has some really good tips and trail and errors in case you do decide to buy this beauty!
I think I will. How large are those wheels? I need to put some pretty large wheels on to have a prayer at landing in the grass.
Apr 01, 2007, 09:11 PM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienx
I think I will. How large are those wheels? I need to put some pretty large wheels on to have a prayer at landing in the grass.
Here's the information on the Wheels:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&postcount=28

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3&postcount=29

The wheel pants were made out of foam
Apr 01, 2007, 10:12 PM
The art of Crashing
Hey...great to see there is still some Stearman lovers! I'm looking forward to finishing mine and taking her for a spin on a nice, sunny, lazy summer day. Here's some pictures of my build. It's fully fiberglassed with .75 oz glass, the struts are hand cut from mahogony wood (wanted a dark vintage wood look). I noticed that my fiberglassed wings keep the dihedral in the wings, something that seems to be distorted with the other stermans I've seen. I wonder if that is the reason some people report negatively about this model. I carved a radial engine from the supplied foam, but wasn't happy with it, so I ordered a radial engine, I'm much happier with the results. I still have to add the flying wire. She's powered by a E-flite 450 outrunner, thinking I'm going to fly her with a wood prop for the finishing scale look.
Apr 01, 2007, 11:19 PM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit
I noticed that my fiberglassed wings keep the dihedral in the wings, something that seems to be distorted with the other stermans I've seen. I wonder if that is the reason some people report negatively about this model.

I carved a radial engine from the supplied foam, but wasn't happy with it, so I ordered a radial engine, I'm much happier with the results. I still have to add the flying wire. She's powered by a E-flite 450 outrunner, thinking I'm going to fly her with a wood prop for the finishing scale look.
Just an awesome Stearman you have there!

I would love to know where you obtained that radial Engine?

Yes indeed, just by adding one Coffee Stirrer on the outter diagonal strut (name keeps fadding away in my brain ) the model seems to fly much better and during hard manuvers especially.

Love what you have done with your Stearman....just love the lazzy rolls and super slow characteristics of this model while it passes you by at the Flight Line!
Apr 01, 2007, 11:29 PM
Account closed
RE: Complaints on Stearman's flying characteristics.....

If the Hobbiest who buys this model does not screw in the right set of struts in then, it is most possible that the model will exhibit a very unstable flying characteristics and at times the flexing of the struts make it even more pronounced.

I am sure some of you here know what I am about to post but, I will post for those that are not familiar with biplanes and their rather critical manner of wing incidences.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

There's an item called the biplane's decalage such that it can certainly affects flight and it use almost always overlooked. "Decalage" refers to the difference in the biplane's two wing incidences or their angles relative to each other and to the fuselage centerline. A positive decalage gives the top wing more incidence than the bottom wing. Negative decalage occurs when the bottom wing has more incidence than the top.

Typical positive-stagger biplanes (top wing forward of the bottom wing) have positive decalage. In this arrangement, when the top wing stalls before the bottom wing, it causes the model's nose to drop for a natural recovery. If the bottom wing were to stall first, the effect would be to raise the nose, creating a more pronounced stall break.
Apr 01, 2007, 11:52 PM
Whistling Death
Great looking Stearmans guys!

I miss mine, might have to get another.
Apr 01, 2007, 11:52 PM
Confused? Who, me?
The wings on mine as they came out of the box were somewhat twisted and even though I fitted lasercut struts from http://www.e-flightline.com/ - didn't like the blue plastic supplied struts at all - I still ended up with negative dihedral https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=620

I must say I don't think that was the fault of the struts and in fact it would almost cetainly have been worse without the ply struts which I regard as very necessary.

However just fitting a couple of rigging threads to pull some tension between the top of the inner cabanes and the bottom of the outers fixed that no problem
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=635

Mine has strengthened landing gear and flies with a GWS2212 on three cells turning a 9050 prop. Off the ground in about two yards.

Bandit you did a great job with that motor.

I'm looking forward to seeing GWS extend the range of bipes.
Apr 02, 2007, 06:55 AM
I just received my PT-17 Stearman last week. It's currently #1 or #2 in building Queue. I'm glad to hear it's a good plane and I look forward to flying it next to my Tigermoth 400 around the field.
Apr 02, 2007, 07:00 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Unless you want to cut your own, order yourself some struts from the link I've given. Look better and work better.
Apr 02, 2007, 10:46 AM
good idea, just ordered the struts,
Apr 02, 2007, 12:01 PM
Account closed
Hey got some more pictures from Gerry's camera from last week's flying fest!

Yes, a painted propeller will certainly be on the Job Ticket soon!
Apr 02, 2007, 12:15 PM
The art of Crashing
Quote:
Just an awesome Stearman you have there!
Thank you, I've really enjoyed building her. I can't wait to see her take flight, truth be told, I'm also terrified also!

Quote:
I would love to know where you obtained that radial Engine?
I bought them at Darehobby.com. I added a little extra detail to their cowling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
Bandit you did a great job with that motor.
Thanks Roger, that speaks volumes coming from a bi-plane afficionado such as yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC4ZEKE
Great looking Stearmans guys!

I miss mine, might have to get another.
You should get another, they are just so beautiful.